Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, Ken (hubby) turned 34 and decided he needed to check his cholesterol.  Family history sucks in that department!  His dad has had more strokes than we can count.    Anyhow, the results came in on Fri.  Blood pressure is border-line high, cholesterol is 234.  LDL, bad, cholesterol is 160, HDL, good cholesterol is 43.

Doc says LDL needs to be less than 100 and HDL needs to be above 50.  Doc says to try diet and exercise, then re-test in 6 months.  So I've been looking into how I can cook with less fat and have found some good info.  The only thing I haven't been able to find is how to raise HDL.  

Thanks for listening.

Zhanna

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Aww sorry to hear this. The good news is, it's caught early. I'm sure with a bit of exercise and some healthier choices his cholesterol numbers will be back to normal. I think by adding flax oil/seeds to food can help reduce cholesterol. I don't really know what else can bring up HDL though. I know in Rob's family strokes and heart attacks are very common and his numbers were borderline high as well. He just took up an extra walk a day and we hardly ever eat greasy food and his numbers are much better now.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, he's already declared he's going to only eat oatmeal from now on.  Yeah, right!  
My main thing is the Mexican food.  He loves Mexican food!  And cheese!  I swear, he's like a pepper bellied rat! :lol:

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Actually, even though it's scary in a way it's good news! The numbers aren't outrageously high and he's right to try diet and exercise before medication. I LOL at the oatmeal comment, I tell patients all the time to eat more oatmeal to help with their HDL and overall cholesterol. Not the kind in the packets, but real oatmeal. How were his triglycerides? You didn't mention them as elevated but if they are try carb control. Usually I tell folks "if it's something you  REALLY crave, it's probably bad for you, don't eat it" :lol: kinda true though, our cravings usually run to the high fat/sodium foods!! The NP I work with recommends following the American Diabetes Association diet guidelines for almost everyone as it is fat and carb controlled and readily available. Good Luck to you both, stick with it and the next bloodwork should show a big difference :D

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, forgot about the triglycerides.  They are at 157 and should be less than 150.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In FL you can find these bags of Flax seeds you can get from CVS, Walgreens and other places. You just get 2 table spoons of it mix it with water and drink it, It works pretty good. Maybe you have the same thing where you live. You should check it out.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.  I went to the Vitamin World and they recommended red yeast rice.  Said if that doesn't bring it down, then we'll probably have to do meds.

And he needs to lose about 30 pounds.  He's 6 feet tall and weighs 230 now.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
ive heard that a positive fat is olive oil. If you replaced butter/veg etc whatever you use to cook with for olive oil that might help. The dr recommended for my dad who has health issues also.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Ditto what everyone else has said Z, the change in diet will help him lose some weight, plus tell hi mto get out there & take Henry for a walk a few times a week, that will help too...I cook only with olive oil, i love the difference in flavors that I can get with different types of oil, so try experimenting...I hear ya about the Mexican food, one of my favorites, but loaded with calories  :) When my father had his first heart attack, I bought my mother a Chinese wok, they loved it!!!! My mother cooked with that a lot and my dad lost about 30 lbs...The cheese was his downfall as well....Good luck and if we can help with any ideas, holler, ok?

·
Registered
780 Posts
My husbands cholesterol is terribly high too, his parents both have very high cholesterol levels and are on medication.  Hubby was on a couple of meds, first two caused him problems so was on lopid last and that brought it down.  He is trying diet and exercise now.  Quaker has a new all natural oatmeal that is in the packets, has whole grains added and flax seed.  It is really pretty good and hubby will eat it better than the plain oatmeal all the time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
526 Posts
thats not too bad... I have done lots of food study with me being a type 1 diabetic along with family history of heart disease. I can share some experience of what has worked for me and what you can do non-med wise to get that down.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Keep an eye out for dairy products with added plant sterols, these are proven to lower LDL and raise HDL cholesterol levels.  I don't know if you have it in the States, but in Europe there is a brand called Flroa and they make things like margarine, yoghurts, cooking sprays etc. and they have a whole range that's specifically designed for people who need to manage their cholesterol.  There's also a similar range called Benecol.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!  Y'all are the best!
The main reason this is kinda scarey is because we already do a lot of what is suggested food wise.  The main culprit for Ken is portion size.
I already cook w/olive oil most of the time.  I don't like fatty foods, so I don't cook them.  Problem is, if he wants bacon, he'll cook it himself.
He does get out w/Henry about 2 or 3 times a week for about an hour.  I've told him we're getting rid of the red meat.  Maybe once a week, but it will be very lean.  Lots of veggie dishes, if he's had his meal and is still hungry, eat more veggies.  I've explained to him what portion sizes are and he about fell out of his chair!  We're from "old school" Texas, where men eat meat! :roll:
Anyhow, we'll let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks again,
Zhanna

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Zhanna,

Glad you found it out early.  My husband was told the same thing about a year ago.  Problem is he helps himself to what is in house and I was buying somethings I have since cut out.  I've found if I don't buy it he can't eat it and he doesn't go to the store on his own.  Although, I'm guessing he hits the conveince store once in a while for that candy bar and chip snack.  Don't buy any bacon for the hubby if he is the kind that doesn't go to the store.  Men are stubborn and tough.  I can train dogs much, much easier.  My hubby won't take anything for it but alteast I have cut his ice cream to fat free and his milk to 1 % and he is working a lot more now and his belly has come off.  Now for mine..................let's not go there!

Good luck!

Nano

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Sorry to hear about your husband, but as others have said diet and exercise should bring it down.

My blood pressure was a little on the high side but since Kiah and I exercise so much more than just my walking, it has come down.  I don't snack as much on non healthy foods, cause I like to share with Kiah and I won't give her any of that; I lost 15 lbs and have kept it off.  Mexican food is my downfall also, we have one of the best mexican restaurants in town.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i dont think i can add anything oyu dont already know..although this is my job..i retrain athletes and soldiers that have extensive injuries..through that they put on alot of weight..but everything everyone told you is right on..such a great group here :D
** make sure you add a multi vitamin every single day its super important...plus the diet and excerise..

if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask...

[quote="sully\";p=\"66946":3nw8ccp0]You should move to New England.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Z i have a few mexican food recipes that are very low in fat and stuff....i know cheese is a differet story though :D I recently also decided to diet and eat better so i plunged in and have found that not many things aree as bad as i though!!  it am glad this was caught early enough.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts