Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the title pretty much sums it uo, but here is some back story. I have 2 9/10 year old boxers. One male, one female. Female is fixed. We recently decided to add to the family as we figured the older 2 could teach the young one the ropes. The intro went surprisingly well and everything has been great for a month. As expected the elders snap at her to put her in her place when she's being annoying and we let normaly just watch to make sure it's appropriate. However, Friday morning my adult female jumped on the puppy and I had to physically snatch her off. if she would have stopped once the puppy submitted I wouldn't have been concerned. She gave the pup a small puncher but nothing huge and all seemed fine after. I discussed with my husband and he agreed that it must have been a fluke thing, then Sunday after my nephew had roweled up the puppy it happened again and my husband grabbed her and it just looked like a put in place thing. no markings, no blood. Today she jumped her twice and got her pretty good and for no reason. The puppy is only 14 weeks and my adult female is fixed. We now have them seperate at all times but I don't understand why she is being so aggressive. My 2 older dogs never fight in another. Some growling or a snap but never have I seen them fight in this way. Only once before have I seen my female react aggressively and it was when she was going into heat, 8 or 9 years ago before she was fixed. Anyone have any ideas in what we can do it what may be the cause. The big dogs are not deprived of attention in any way. It anything they get additional attention because we wanted to make sure they didn't feel left out with all the gushy people over the puppy.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
First thing you need to understand two dogs are a pair three dogs are a pack! I found that out the hardway,emergency room visits for me were involved.
The female is going after the pup? What sex is the pup?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Female also. We were thinking since the older was fixed it would not be such a problem. Seems we are very wrong. Now what to do?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Female-female is often a problem. You may need to manage them carefully for the long term. One of my little dogs is an alpha female, and I foster occasionally. The rescue group I help out knows that I'll only foster males because of this.

Make sure you're treating your older dogs with "due respect"; i.e. they always get greeted first, petted first, fed first, played with first, let out of their crates first, etc. There's currently a ripple in the pack dynamic, and they want to make sure the order is "correct" in their eyes, especially for your female.

You may want to set up an excercise pen or crate for the puppy in your living room, so that your older dogs get some relief. I'm currently fostering a 4-5 month old standard dachshund puppy, whom I affectionately nicknamed Jaws, and I crate him periodically throughout the day to teach him how to settle, and also to give the older dogs some relief from his needle-like puppy teeth. It also helps with potty training.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Yes, as mentioned, female-female is often a problem. I think Georgiapeach offered some excellent advice. A rambunctious puppy can get annoying to the older dogs and she's probably testing her boundaries with them. Your older female may see that as a challenge to her alpha status.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't have much advise since I have 2 males, they do fight but have never drawn blood, My older boy puts the younger one in his place occasionally, it's actually kinda funny to watch, it's just like watching my kids when they were younger.
I think you just have to give it time, if your puppy is only 14 weeks you haven't had her long and maybe the older female feels like the charm is overwhelming. like when a child wants to give away his little sister/brother after a month or so... I hope it works out and good luck

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I agree with what the others have stated. I probably would just keep them separated for now. Puppy crated, while she learns her place and potty training and when she is free strict supervision or other dogs behind a gate. I've had to do this in the past with dogs I've had. The other dogs will walk by the crate and sniff and puppy probably will squeal but she won't get hurt. Eventually they will get use to the fact that she is around and it may take several months. Hopefully by then they will get along more but will probably need supervision as the older dog may not appreciate the antics of a pup. Wishing you the best.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the advise everyone. I will have to check to see if I still have a crate or kennel. We live on a large amount of property and with a doggy door they normally are in and out as they please.

I think my adult female (Sasha) knows we are NOT happy with this whole thing. When my husband takes the puppy out to potty she keeps her distance right now. We let the older male (Vito) in the same room with her to see how he did and he was fine. He still mainly ignores the her. He is my big baby and extremely obedient. He amazes me. Sasha still has the run of kitchen and outside but I have blocked her from the living room where I currently have the puppy (Star).

Sasha reacting this way makes me concerned for a few reasons,
1. I have 2 small children, who she has always been amazing with, but does this aggression escalate?
2. Is she trying to kill the puppy, because although the puppy submits, yelping and pooping herself, she doesn't stop the attack without physical intervention?
3. Sasha also has a heart murmur and the vet has told us that although healthy, she is getting up in age and can go at any time. (part of the reason we got a new puppy, so that is\when she passes, Vito would not be lonely.) I don't want to see her as a replacement either, but as part of the family and someone to help comfort instead of annoy as she would hopefully be use to the routine by then.

We both are very hands on with the animals so I am hoping this will pass at some point.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I hope that time and the above suggestions help your situation, because once the puppy hits a year old, maybe younger, she will start reacting to the older females "attacks" and you'll really have a mess :( Keep working on it good luck!!!

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Well at least I have backup in being Mr Bad News Bear! :)

Sooo... "assuming" you told, your "breeder" that you already have a female Boxer,they should have informed you that this was a possibility. So that is a fail on the "breeders" part.

At "Boxers and Buddies" (Boxer rescue) the stated policy is no Female Boxers in homes that already have a Female Boxer. Other breed of dog maybe, "experienced" owners perhaps??

Two dogs are a pair three dogs are a pack! I am an "experienced" owner "but" when I added dog # 3 and he grew into a 116lb ,High Rank drive, Human Aggressive Dominant Male GSD! He had uh "issues" with my Dominant male Bull Mastiff/APBT/Lab mix.

First stitches in my life were involved sorting that mess out! School of hard knocks as it were. I only mention that because "I" qualify as an experienced owner and yet...I will "never" have a two female Boxer household. That is how much that thought scares the crap out of me!

There are members on here that do have multi female households. Right household,right management, right combinations of females, it can be done! But it's not for the faint of heart and those that can do it are better than me! :)

Males fight for "breeding rights" "females fight for breathing rights"

It takes "management" "leadership" and "training" and you will have to do "everything" right in order to keep "issues" from happening. If you do anything wrong?? Then when the "puppy" turns into a teenager 12 to 18 month range...you will have two dogs that want to kill each other not one!

The fact that "this" has "already" started to happen is "absolutely" not good!

Further reading:

Leerburg | Inter-Female Aggression in Dogs

Leerburg Dog Training | Introducing a New Dog into a Home with Other Dogs

https://www.facebook.com/notes/legacy-boxer-rescue/femalefemale-aggression/10150572697538460

·
Registered
236 Posts
Thanks for the advise everyone. I will have to check to see if I still have a crate or kennel. We live on a large amount of property and with a doggy door they normally are in and out as they please.

I think my adult female (Sasha) knows we are NOT happy with this whole thing. When my husband takes the puppy out to potty she keeps her distance right now. We let the older male (Vito) in the same room with her to see how he did and he was fine. He still mainly ignores the her. He is my big baby and extremely obedient. He amazes me. Sasha still has the run of kitchen and outside but I have blocked her from the living room where I currently have the puppy (Star).

Sasha reacting this way makes me concerned for a few reasons,
1. I have 2 small children, who she has always been amazing with, but does this aggression escalate?
2. Is she trying to kill the puppy, because although the puppy submits, yelping and pooping herself, she doesn't stop the attack without physical intervention?
3. Sasha also has a heart murmur and the vet has told us that although healthy, she is getting up in age and can go at any time. (part of the reason we got a new puppy, so that is\when she passes, Vito would not be lonely.) I don't want to see her as a replacement either, but as part of the family and someone to help comfort instead of annoy as she would hopefully be use to the routine by then.

We both are very hands on with the animals so I am hoping this will pass at some point.
How is the health of your female (other then the murmur )
Is everything else good?
If so, you need to work your female on obedience. Hammer it for a few weeks, no eating out of the bowl, hand feed only and work for food.
Don't separate the pup and your female (ie: separate rooms). Separate by a kennel. Watch for any starring from your adult female. If she is intensely focus on the pup, that's a problem and you need to correct it.
You want them to be near each other but safe at the same time. That way you can see what going on with your adult female and correct things when needed. If you remove the pup every time your female jumps on her, it will only reinforce her behavior. (ie: I jump on the pup and they take her away...I win)

If that doesn't make sense just let me know.
As always if you have a good trainer in your area, seek them out if it continues to get worse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Currently we have them seperate by a babygate at all times. If Sasha gets near the gate Star goes to lay under the foot of the recliner clear across the room. We did take Star to the vet to make sure everything was ok. They gave her some antibiotics just in case. Sasha doesn't seem to be focused on her from the other side of the babygate at all. she only watches me like she's waiting for attention as I walk across the room. Nothing unusual. I make sure to feed the big dogs first before the puppy. The male is able to be in either section. He has no problems with the pup. Since our yard is so large we have decided to make a seperate outside section for her to run in. Allow them to only be near one another but still safe. See how it goes for now. it's crazy how obedient both adults are and this us the only time other wheSasha went into heat 8 yrs ago that I've ever seen her act seriously aggressive. Not the normal stay away from my bone she would tell the male. That was only a growl. She even would let us come up and take whatever she had without any issue. We did find out that there is a trainer/behaviorist out this way that we will be reaching out to woth questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Definitely worth getting a behaviorist involved! At least they can coach you on how to handle the situation. Good luck! I hope that you can get them co-existing peacefully.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh and in response to the heart murmur. She has had it since she was a pup but as she has gotten older it has gotten worse. She seems overall healthy and the vet says she is ok. However, that because she is getting up in age and the murmur has progressed he also said that we do need to prepare for the inevitable and that she could go at any time. :(

·
Registered
236 Posts
Another question...
How is she around other dogs (not including your male)?

For the most part it sounds like your female is just being a bully and need to be correcting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We typically don't take them around many other dogs. :( Something I was hoping to do differently with this one. She never growls or lunges at any other dogs at the Vet and many times that place is pretty full.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have two females and have never had any issues with aggression. We got Roxy who was 1.5 and not socialized and brought her home to Porsha (1 year) who we have had since she was a baby and had no issues. I thought for sure we would have a fight or two to determine whos "boss" but not even once. So it is possible but agree you should see professional help. You don't want anyone to get hurt including yourself.

·
Banned
21 Posts
Female also. We were thinking since the older was fixed it would not be such a problem. Seems we are very wrong. Now what to do?

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
This thread is from 2015! You need to start a new thread and let us know what is going on?? But if you have two females ... that can be an "issue."

·
Registered
344 Posts
Please don't let that puppy around that adult female, if she doesn't badly injure the puppy the least that will happen is she is teaching the puppy this bad behavior and its ok to attack and try to kill other dogs! If the puppy is being lacerated and bleeding and pooping itself this is not an older dog disciplining a puppy this is a dominance thing pure and simple and female dogs (not just boxers) are very domineering sometimes. I have only always had the opposite sex when I have had two dogs in the house so I have never had this problem if I were you and you wanted to keep this puppy being your older dog has a heart problem already and is up there in age I would keep them separated at all times and if your male is tolerant of the pup let her play with him. This aggressive behavior from you female to the puppy does not mean she will attack your children.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts