Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I asked my vet about what I should be looking for in a senior dog food, he told me, low fat, low sodium, lower protein around 26%, and some other stuff that I can't remember right now, lol. Then I mentioned that I wanted something with quality ingredients, but it seemed like those had very high protein, ex. Orijen Senior 40% protein.

My Dachshund will be 15 in January..her bloodtest came back fairly well for her age. Dr. said her kidney function is great. Usually we see a lot of older dogs come in and they have horrible kidneys, so dr. has to put them on a low protein diet so there is less stress on the kidney. So, anyway I asked him if putting her on a high protein diet like Orijen Senior would have ill effects, he said it wouldnt be a good idea, and that usually high protein is mainly for very active and sporting dogs..So I don't know! All of the top rated dogfoodanalysis foods are all very high protein!

She was on California Natural Low Fat Lamb Meal for quite some time before she went on the Science Diet R/D diet. She needed to lose some weight to help her joints. Now she is pretty much at her goal weight. She went from 14.3 lbs to 11.3, and she is much more active now :) I dont know, I'm torn lol. Maybe I should just go back to CA Natural since her bloodwork came back pretty well while she was on it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I went around and around with my vet with this regarding Samson..he wanted to push their senior formula on me(I think he uses Eukanuba)..I kept explaining that with the Chicken Soup he was doing great, I supplemented with the Glyco Flex 3 plus his daily fish oil..I felt he was getting more that way..Plus Chicken Soup's protein isn't high, I believe no more than 28%..If sh ewas doing good on the CA Natural, I would stick with it, just give her a supplement for her joints, Glyco Flex or something along that line

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I agree. What are you feeding now? If it is working, why change? You can add supplements like Willow does. :)

·
Banned
888 Posts
You are right, dog food analysis does highly recommend the foods with the highest protein levels. They don't take into consideration a few things, such as manufacturing, source of products, and needs of dogs who require diets with less protein/fat, etc. So that's just looking at it from one perspective. I think Natura products are very good because they source their food from the US, and are a trustworthy company. If the Low Fat Ca Natural worked for you, I would continue that diet and not worry a lick about what the review says. You may wish to feed her less since she's now at her goal weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts