Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've been researching, and since the over the counter off brand cheapo flea meds do not work on my babies....I need more expensive, found at vet flea preventative.  So....I saw that the med sentinal covers heartworm and fleas- both of which I want to take care of.  Would you recommend this product or is there another comparably priced heartworm/flea med out there?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had one jump on me since we started the frontline that sharon gave us to try a month ago...however...I have seen a few on the cat...which is bad since she is allergic...we are going to the vet next week for the cats 1 year boosters and will be starting her on heartworm and flea meds, so hopefully that will get rid of that problem.  But...I know our flea problem is 99% better...I had been getting fleas on ME...which was horrible and now I don't.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sentinel is a great product!!!!!!!!!!!!!....but I think it is a great product for people who do not have a big flea prob or one's who have a controlled environment.  The reason is that the flea medicine in it breaks the chain of molecules in the flea called Chitin...... Chitin is the hard shell of the adult flea, as well as an egg-tooth that flea larvae use to break out of their eggs. Without chitin these stages cannot develop properly and the life cycle is broken.

So that means it is birth control for fleas, there is nothing in it to kill adult fleas like you find in frontline or advantix.....for your situation I dont think Sentinel is the right one.....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what would you recommend sharon?  I'm trying to find a product that is not too costly...but will help us....with two dogs and now we have decided to use preventative on the cat, we are just trying to figure out what is the best...and most cost effective.  The two in ones seem like the way to go, but I just don't know much about the different products out there.  Also, I noticied that if you buy larger quantities it gets discounts...Jetta is always falling in the 26 to 50 lb range...but I worry about Bo breaking over the 50lb range if we were to buy his whole season up front...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My suggestion is to buy Frontline.  Most vets, if you ask, will price match.  Our does for drfosterandsmith, it's in my file.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks good...only about $12 bucks a month for each of them if ordered online...wonder how much one of my multi vets would charge...guess I'll have to price compare.  Thanks sharon...is this as effective for heartworm as it's topical and not oral?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Donya\";p=\"94028 said:
I use sentinal for Mav and he hasn't had fleas and i like that it is for heartworm also.
It is a great product...I really like it....but when you are starting out with a flea issue its a hard one to use...when you have it under control already it maintains great.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="aquagirl900\";p=\"94024":26gizff6]That looks good...only about $12 bucks a month for each of them if ordered online...wonder how much one of my multi vets would charge...guess I'll have to price compare.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i used sentinel for 1 1/2 yrs with good results, until oklahoma got alot of rain last year.  it just wasn't cutting it last year at all.  I'd end up having to give mine capstar tablets at least once a month to kill off what was bothering them.  it works within an hour or so and kills them all.

not wanting to give chemicals on top of chemicals, i switched a few months ago to a new product called Comfortis.  1 pill monthly.  ( i use Iverheart Max for HW prevention)   Comfortis gets the job done. no more flea whining out of my little girl.

the only thing is it's a new product, supposed to be safe, but i'm so leary of chemicals to begin with, i'm thinking of switching to a topical.

would a topical be less chemicals in their systems?  i know the vet tech said topicals are absorbed thru their skin and travel the blood stream to kill the fleas, so it seems like either one is going to get into their system, having to be run by their liver and kidneys?

comfortis costs $63 for 6 pills at my vet and you can't buy it online.  3 mo supply for my 2 boxers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts