Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Dane a week ago and he's wonderful. He was 100% housebroken when we got him. However, whenever he is left alone he will go down to the basement (where the door to go potty is) and poop/pee down there. It seems like he's doing it bc he's mad at us. We adore him, but we can't keep him if he keeps ruining the carpet. On another note we are kinda stupid for letting this brand new dog roam the house when we aren't home. He hates being crated and we live in a townhome so we can't have him bark the whole time we're gone. We are gonna put up a baby gate for the kitchen, but is this normal behavior? He's 11 months btw and he knows he was bad cuz we literally have to drag him down the stairs to get him to go out when we find his 'presents'!

Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
16 Posts
hey, what you could do is section off a safe area in your house like a bit of the kitchen or bathroom so the carpets wnt be ruined. keep him in there and line it with newspaper/pads untill he finds a place in the room he likes to go. then gradually take them away so you only have one piece left ten he will go on that. cos he was trained before it shouldnt be too hard but he is in a new home so you need to establish rules where he can go. just make sure you give him loads of praise and treats when he goes in the right place. another thing is if you see him go in the house dont scream at him just lift/ move him to the right area because what i found was i would shout at benson really loud to stop him then take him outside. so then i started to notice puddles and "little brown parcels" for me in my room etc and i couldnt catch him do it but it was because he was too scared to go in front of me, now i am quiet about it and he is getting much much better!! good luck

oh PS use an odour neutraliser on the pee in the basement otherwise he smells where he went before and that makes him want to go there again

1 - 2 of 2 Posts