Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old puppy that I've been trying to crate train. I've had her for a little over a month, and she absolutely hates the crate. We were told by the breeder that she was partially crate trained when we got her, and the first night she cried for about 20 mins then quieted down and slept all night. After that first night, however, she literally cries ALL NIGHT. Barking, howling, whining, sounding like she's hurt. Needless to say, my husband couldn't stay up all night and function at work the next day, so he let the puppy on the bed and that's where she's been at night. I have to put her in the crate when I leave for work, and she'll be in there for about 2 hours before my husband gets home, and he can hear her from outside. When he lets her out, she's soaked from the muzzle down her chest and her front paws. The towel he have in there for her is soaking wet, and it's not pee. What can I do? I never had this much trouble with my other dogs when they were puppies.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Ah well the bad news first ... if when she whined and cried you let her out of the crate and into bed with you ... that absolutely sent the wrong message! Now she knows ... if I throw a big enough fit ... I can get out of here!

And if she is sleeping in the bed at night and you want her to go in the Crate for a few hours during the day ... that's another problem. So your sending her mixed signals and that's what your seeing.

The fact of the matter is ... there are no "Protocols" for sleep in bed at night and spend the day in a "Crate" no one does that "AFAIK???"

But ... you know ... my "Struddell" out the gate slept with me and she was never "Crated" during the day. If you have a well trained well disciplined puppy/dog ... you can get away with that ... but it's not necessarily good advise.

But it sounds like ... it's not a going to be a 8 hour plus travel time day for her in any case is that correct???

If such is the case and we are talking what two to three hours ... you may have some "wiggle room." Skip a meal and start feeding her in Crate. If she won't go in she does not eat. Food and treats only in the Crate give it a day or two. After that once she goes in close the dog and she only comes out once she is calm. If she tries to rush the door you slam it in her face and she has to wait for permission to exist.

That process looks like this. :

And there is this one also suggested by a member.:
The Second Hand Dogs: Playing Crate Games

Course I suppose. You could also just use an EX Pen for daytime use.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So we set up a camera to see what my pup does in her crate when we leave.

I think she has severe separation anxiety.

She starts out barking and howling, then starts trying to dig her way thru the door. We can see her trying to bite thru the holes on the side of the crate, and picking up the towel (placed in there to lay on) and biting down on it whimpering loudly. She's almost frantic, and it's non stop. I was wondering why she slept so soundly after being in her crate, I now know why. She's also trembling after we let her out. I took the crate apart later on and there are some pretty deep gouges on the sides and roof of the crate, as well as around the door.

We are exploring alternatives to the crate for when she needs to be left alone.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Ah well ... most likely a "Pro" would say ... get a stronger crate, don't put any bedding material in there and let her deal ... two hours ... is not a long time, are you feeding her in the Crate??? You're setting yourself for a lot of trouble further down the road, if she gets away with this. :(

Still ... Plan B, ... sigh ... you could use an Ex Pen in addition to the Crate, put the crate in the ex pen with her food in and just leave the Crate Open.

It's going to have to be short walks (she's a puppy) and if she is not fully Vaccinated stay away from grass, or areas where other dogs have been ... "Parvo lives in organic matter.

But short walks ... no affection just walk and then do "Sit on the Puppy" for 10 to 15 minutes, say nothing to her and head back home.

Ex Pen ... https://www.chewy.com/frisco-dog-ex...xuxkZc9nHM80FYqT5rA6GxoCboXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And Sit on the Dog and Training Place:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

I belive there is a clip in there on training puppies in "Place." :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm familiar with this situation and I'm so sorry to hear that someone else has encountered this, but it's often unavoidable. I hope that you have already dealt with this problem, but if the situation still hasn't changed, then you should definitely pay attention to https://knockoutcbd.com/cbd-product-category/cbd-juul-compatible-pods/. At first, just to calm yourself down, and then you should buy special cbd oil for dogs, but first you should consult a veterinarian. Personally, it helped our puppy to cope with such difficulties

1 - 5 of 5 Posts