Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

As some of you remember I recently rescued a 11month old boxer named Anna.  Well she has some SERIOUS separation anxiety issues.  When I'm home she wont leave my side.  When she eats she actually eats a little, goes, finds me to make sure I'm still here, then goes back.  She's destroying all the doors and door molding in my apartment.  I don't know what to do with her.  Today she actually found a way out of her crate and tore my front door to pieces.  I'm going to have to put a lock on her crate now.  Oh, and she's well on her way to destroying what's left of her crate too.

What do I do???  I'm not going to give her up, but this has to stop.  I'm not made of money to keep replacing doors and molding.  As it is now I'm going to have to try to patch and paint what she has torn up.

Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
need to ask Liz but i think she prob ably needs meds for a little while jsut to relax and take the time to realizze its ok you arent goingt o leave her  and its ok when you do leave that you WILL be bacck...i know alot of people do that...there are a few i know that have no side effects and it jsut calms them..same as an anxious person..can call your vet and ask about them?

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i went through that with my lab..shes very afraidd you arent coming back..and shes bound to hurt herself...it may not stop depends on the dog..i can call Liz since we both live here in hawaii...i know that desperate feeling i remember it well...

do you know her history? was she abused or anything?..
let me call liz and ask her to get on the forum she will be a big help for you..

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ya shes afraid now that she has you that you will leave her..dont give up on her..i know its upsetting..im tryingt o get liz for ya...and there are natural things you can give her..i just dont know what they are but liz will help ya with all that

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson had some serious issues when I brought him home..He was totally glued to me, to the point that he HAD to go with me into the bathroom....The first crate I got was a wire one and he broke right out of it and totally destroyed the front door, then went out to the laundry room and was trying to dig to China I think! Back to Petsmart for crate #2, a heavy duty plastic air carrier, has a great locking mechanism on the front, breaks apart into 2 pieces when not needed and totally escape proof....Oh yea, he knawed on it some :) but cannot get out.....

As she was left in a crate for long periods of time, she is really going to have issues with it...I'm assuminig you are only crating her when you leave? What I would do first is make the crate very comforting, put like an old shirt of yours in there, so she has your scent, make sure you have a nice Kong for her as well when you crate....A nice soft blankie for her to lay on also...Then while you are home, crate her for real short periods of time, maybe crate her, go outside for a few minutes, come back in. If she's calm let her out....She is soo afraid right now that she is going to be left, the same as Samson was and it did take me a few months to feel comfortable leaving him uncrated, but we did it!!! Does she go into the crate easily or is it a battle? I found I had a hard time with Samson even using treats to entice him, but I just kept at it....I'm sure others will have some more tips, but hopefully this is some help for you

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
those are some good ideas.  yeah, she does HAVE to follow me to the bathroom too.  i think i'll have to get a plastic crate for her, like you the one i have now is a wire one.  one of my shirts is a good idea.  i do have to force her in the crate though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's so nice to read I'm not the only one having these problems.  Coco is 11 weeks old now and I've had to return to work.  Because she would have to spend the entire day in a cage, we made it nice for her.  She had a 8x8 wire mesh cage downstairs, with a huge big screen TV,  a nice view of the yard through a 9 foot wide window,  lots of toys, chews, a bed, blankets, etc etc etc.  She still goes nuts every time and spends the day trying to figure out how to escape.  To make a long story short........I've had to expand the area tonite to a 20 X 10 area....I'm hoping she won't notice she's in a cage.   We can't make it home to let her out all day and she's alone from 7-2:30 and REFUSES to P or Poo........I think she can't stand the smell of it herself--that is why I expanded the area.  So she fights until she escapes then makes a small P in the corner of the room downstairs and does no other damage.  I can't leave her free to roam the house yet, she is much too young.

What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I thought I was going to kill this freaking dog today.  So since her first escape I put a lock on the door of the crate.  OK, thought that would fix the problem.  Nope, today she broke the welded bar on the bottom of the crate and crawled out.  Shit and piss everywhere, and the molding on the front door is beyond repair now.  I was only gone for about an hour and a half.  I'm going to borrow a friends plastic crate until I can afford another one.

I'm open to any other suggestions you guys have.  Of course I'm not going to kill the dog, give it up, or let it go or anything crazy like that.  She's just really pushing my buttons today.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ok hang tight gonna get Liz..been a crazy few days...hang on

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so the mess is cleaned up and dad has has a couple of drinks.  all is well again.  but, i did some research (which, is my fault as i should have done it sooner).  below is the advice i found.  i'm gonna give it a shot today and see what progress we can make.

http://www.sspca.org/Dogs/SeparationAnxiety2.html

boy, alcohol does wonders for my temper!  hahaha.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry everyone that i tried to chat with.  i have an apple computer, and that flash based chat room doesn't work well with my computer.  so, it was running at a snails pace, and everything i tried to type got messed up.  i was trying to see if liz ha AIM so we could chat there.  but, please feel free to post any tips/advice here.

thanks, sorry for the confusion in the chat room.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh boy, i swear this little girl is a houdini.  so i borrowed a plastic crate from a friend of mine that had a really really REALLY small crack in the corner.  well houdini busted out today.  i came home for lunch and there she was, nub wagging, with a look on her face like Look at me Dad!  of course she did poop in the kitchen, but other than that I didn't see any damage.  she did act real timid though because she knows she did wrong.  But, I figured it would only hurt her to try to put her back in the crate because she will try to get out again.  And, the door molding is alreay screwed.  So I put the monster (aka vacuum cleaner) infront of the door molding and shut all the other doors and left her outside the crate.  We'll see how well she does.

i have a feeling it's gonna be ugly.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
hahaha you never know..give it a chance..the plastic crate was a joke in our house too..with no cracks haha..

just make sure she doesnt chew cords or anything..make sure you scatter toys..and fill a kong with peanut butter give her something to work on...:)

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ok can we see? haha,,is it her escaping? nw that would be cute

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
omg that is the sh*ttttttttttttttttttttt

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahaha I LUV IT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts