Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke has been great since he’s been back from training as far as obedience. However He’s still having major separation issues. He does go in his crate when I leave. He’s had prior issues with breaking out of his crate. That has since been fixed with a new crate. I am a nurse, so I do work 12 hour shifts. He is in his crate extended periods of time. I understand that and I know that can be stressful. HOWEVER, the issue does not just occur when I leave for work, it is anytime I leave, whether it be one hour or 12. He pees, vomits, sheds, drools etc etc. he is about 10mos now. If he doesn’t vomit while he’s in his kennel, he vomits upon exiting. Honestly, at this point I am tired of cleaning his kennel daily. I need a fix for this. Really don’t want to place him on meds, just bc he is already usually a very calm dog. I am worried about how it will affect his personality. He can already be borderline too calm. If that makes any sense. Thanks for the tips in advanced. Oh...and he is exercised properly before going in his kennel.... He is exercised until he comes in and just lays on the floor. I know that’s usually the first recommendation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He is a rescue also for the record. I got him when he was 6 mos. stray prior to that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I think I would probably do doggy day care. I would probably take him even while I am home for a hour or two. He will learn you come back for him, and when I had to do those 12 hour shifts that is where he would be. He is still young at 10 months and it looks like you have only had him for about 4 so he may still feel uneasy. Since you say he was dumped, then rescue, I am sure he just isn't sure if he will be left again, it was probably traumatic. Or if you have a friend that wouldn't mind him hanging out when you are gone? There are others on this forum that can probably give you better advise from experience with rescue dogs.

I have also heard that cud oil helps and the is a FB group to discuss. I'm not familiar with this though and if all else fails someone I know has their dog on alprazolam, which helps.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Yeah ... you went to the wrong "Pro's???" What you have already paid to find out ... lis that "Formal Obeisance Training" will not "fix" behavioral issues???

I already tried that with my "problem child" Over Sized Working Line GSD , etcand it did not work?? And yep he would Sit/Stay/Recall,walked well on leash, Car Proofed/ Front Yard Proofed (would not leave the yard without permission) did not bolt out the front door) (Threshold Proofed) etc,etc and yep, he got plenty of "Exercise."

And none of that "crap" made any difference! Because despite all of that ... what he would do was "attack" my Band Dawg (his housemate) and "threaten" people!e was a seven month old rescue went I got him and the "issues" cropped up seven months later??? Bond of trust between you and him and at the moment and your dog display's this lack of trust by uh throwing up and displaying Separation Anxiety , and my dog displayed it with uh ... "Aggression Towards Strangers!!"

The "solutions" I believe for you are gonna be the same as they were for me?? But I like providing back ground and first you have to know where you went wrong?? Before you get it right??? And so ... start here because most likely when you first got him ... you did not follow the "protocol" in the first link here??:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html
'
By and large "most people" don't do that??? And for the most part with most dogs ...
they can get away with it??? But if you have to "stumble" across the "wrong dog" maybe not so much??? Been there done that ... and got the stitches (another story.)

But you have to understand what went wrong in order to get it right ... I tend to believe??? And yep sending him off to a "Board and Train??" Assuming that is what you did, seems a reasonable course of action??

But it would seem that what you found out is this.:

Now you don't have an aggression issue and you don't need an E-Collar but what you tried with "Formal Obedience Training" got you same "Fail Results" I got??? So clearly ... that did not work???

And "exercise" alone as you already know ... won't work either??? Now Doggy Day Care, might but it's not what I would do??? I don't "trust" other people's dogs?? "IF" your dog has a bad run in at "Doggy Day Care" your issues could get worst and "Boxer's as a "Breed" can be kinda uh "obnoxious" in "Doggy Day Care."

Usually Boxers owners are the first in line to be asked to, take there dog and not come back ... "Thank You" very much and a"GSD" owners are often next in line to be "Asked" to not come back ... some dogs don't "play well" with others.

But this is just a start ... I got more. And oh yeah "despite what many tend to believe" ... "Exercise" does not cure all but you've discovered that also ... it would seem?? :)

This is just background info ... I got more if you'd like. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts