Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my Dobby Monster loved sticks as a pup. He carried them around & constantly chewed on them, until he got a sliver in his tongue. He hasn't touched them since. (Smart Boy!)
Last weekend, I was working in the garden bed at our new place clearing away brush. I wasn't really paying muchattention to what he was doing, honestly. Unfortunately
Fast forward to this past Friday afternoon, when I let him out. He began frantically eating grass. Quite odd, as I had never seen him do that before; but also knew that sometimes dogs will eat grass to soothe an unsettled tummy. Suspicious, I searched the entire house looking for any evidence he'd gotten into anything, but found nothing. Twice more that night, he went out just to eat grass but there was no drooling, no strange breathing noises. I felt his tummy and everything seemed normal and he didn't act as if he was in pain, nor was his stomach distended.
Yesterday, he just wasn't quite himself, so I only fed him half servings at meal time. There was no grass eating, but I did notice his BM's were slightly loose and stringy. Again, no physical signs of distress. But he did have horrible smelling gas.
This morning, he had another loose, stringy BM so I decided to hold off on breakfast; took a shower and came back in to two rather large piles of vomit - almost entirely consistent of the woodsy brush I had cleared from the garden bed last weekend. I very carefully inspected the material (because I am that "gross mom", and found only a few pieces of undigested food mixed in with the brush, and some bile. Thankfully, I found no indication of blood in the mix.
He almost immediately after began begging for food, but does not seem to be interested in water. He is still urinating, so not super concerned about dehydration yet. His bowel movements are still a little loose, but the gas is gone.
His regular Vet is, of course, out of town until Tuesday. He can get kind of testy with the other Vet in her office, so I am not too eager to try and get him to co-operate with her. I did call their Emergency line and spoke with her and she seems to think it's a blockage just naturally making its way out of his system. She suggested giving him some canned pumpkin in the morning and at lunch time and just do a watch and wait till Tuesday.
Dobby is being much more active and seems quite like his normal self, but I am a nervous wreck. It was quite a pile of brush!!!

Btw, he's a mutt Boxer, who stands 3 ft tall and weighs 110; and has passed many socks and pairs of underwear without issue, but it's still very scary to me. So my question is, if this were your dog - would you wait till Tuesday or seek another Vet asap?

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Hold off.... offer him several bland meals and see if he keeps it down. Cook some rice and ground beef up, mix 50/50. If he's pooping and not vomiting, it's not a blockage. Once he has 2-3 days of solid bowel movements you can slowly reintroduce his kibble.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hold off.... offer him several bland meals and see if he keeps it down. Cook some rice and ground beef up, mix 50/50. If he's pooping and not vomiting, it's not a blockage. Once he has 2-3 days of solid bowel movements you can slowly reintroduce his kibble.
Kaco Boxers, thats good advise. I agree.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so very much! I've fed him small amounts of ground beef and rice twice now with no vomiting! Very, very happy to be saying that!
Most websites recommend boiled chicken; but unfortunately He has a sensitivity for chicken so wasn't sure what else I could do! As of right now, I have a very happy dog, and a very relieved wallet!
I love my Vet, but the visits are often cringe worthy cost-wise!

·
Registered
634 Posts
So glad he's doing better.

This is good information to have in case we run into something similar. One of our boys has a more sensitive stomach than the other. We knew about pumpkin and had heard about chicken and rice.

It's good to have the beef option too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts