Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a great venue available,years of experience as a trainer (classes/121s/clicker) and it’s time to strike out on my own.
Any advice welcome! Recommended insurers, list of equipment (spare leads, long lines, chairs etc etc) - anything anyone can think of would be hugely appreciated!

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Most likely?? You'd have better luck on "Germanshepardforum," and most likely in the IPO or Sport Dog Section's?? Those guy's know lot's of stuff and people.

Or perhaps one of the "Working Dog's Forums'?" I'm sure there are no shortage of member's that would be willing to help you??? But honestly most of us are just "Pet People," for the most part??

We'd luv for a member here . To get out there and "Work," there dog in "any capacity!" Sport Dog (IPO), S&R, Herding, Service Dog or LOL ... LE! It can be done ... but no one has done it so far??

Now that said ... I understand your question. And the only one, I know that can help you at a coast. Would be Jeff Gellaman at Solidk9training.

This guy. https://www.solidk9training.com/

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
I have a great venue available,years of experience as a trainer (classes/121s/clicker) and it’s time to strike out on my own.
Any advice welcome! Recommended insurers, list of equipment (spare leads, long lines, chairs etc etc) - anything anyone can think of would be hugely appreciated!
Maybe this will help guide you to some resources

I know any trainer I take my dogs to I want to see their qualifications, not just that they trained their dog. While good for advise I would want to go to someone who has familiarized themselves with all modes of training. I'd like to see what certificates my dog could earn under their evaluations. Its also helpful to see how their dogs are trained and what they do with them. I think from their you will find insurers and others you can work with.

·
Registered
214 Posts
A venue is nice but not required. Experience is great.
The AKC has info on the AKC class/cert. That will give you the requirements, classes info for AKC certified class. It would be a good place to start.
List of a equipment is totally depend on what you're going do. No point in buying a huge assortment until you know what you will use the most.
Lastly, be a people person. You can be a great dog trainer but if you suck with people it will be very difficult to succeed.
Also, there are a ton of trainer group pages ion FB

Now that said ... I understand your question. And the only one, I know that can help you at a coast. Would be Jeff Gellaman at Solidk9training.

This guy. https://www.solidk9training.com/
There are plenty of free resources online and a ton of FB groups

Maybe this will help guide you to some resources

I know any trainer I take my dogs to I want to see their qualifications, not just that they trained their dog. While good for advise I would want to go to someone who has familiarized themselves with all modes of training. I'd like to see what certificates my dog could earn under their evaluations. Its also helpful to see how their dogs are trained and what they do with them. I think from their you will find insurers and others you can work with.
Mostly good info.. the only thing I wouldn't be as concerned with is Certs and demo dogs. They aren't bad but they also don't mean a lot either.
Best advice I can give is always ask for a few references. (y)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I'm no dog trainer, only trained my dogs and my gf's dogs, but the only thing I can think of is don't get set in just one way of training. I'm sure you probably know this already though.

I just don't know how anyone would want to be a dog drainer. lol Its usually more about training the owners of the pets and a lot of them don't stick with what they are told. That has to be frustrating as anything. Guess you have to have the patience of a saint.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm no dog trainer, only trained my dogs and my gf's dogs, but the only thing I can think of is don't get set in just one way of training. I'm sure you probably know this already though.

I just don't know how anyone would want to be a dog drainer. lol Its usually more about training the owners of the pets and a lot of them don't stick with what they are told. That has to be frustrating as anything. Guess you have to have the patience of a saint.
Hence the reason you have to be a people person...haha.
Without a doubt the dogs tend to be the easier part, the owners at times can be a handful. Lol

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Hence the reason you have to be a people person...haha.
Without a doubt the dogs tend to be the easier part, the owners at times can be a handful. Lol
Lol!

Sport training has to be so much easier I'm assuming ,because at least in that case, most people will have somewhat trained dogs and you are really training for a specific reason. I mean if someone is training for sport usually they stick with it.

Where as your better half;) has to train for everyday behavior and a lot of lazy people. lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts