Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I have a 10 month old male boxer.  For the last 6 months he's been really great in regards to getting into his crate in the morning before I go to work.  All I would have to say is "time for your crate", and he would run right in.  When I would get home he would be sitting there nice waiting for me to open it.  I moved 1 week ago and moved in with my g/f.  I put the crate in the exact same position in the bedroom as it was in my old apartment.  Now for some reason it's become a nightmare.  He refuses to get into the crate now in the mornings.  When I come home, the bars of the crate are bent, his blankets are soaked with sweat and drool.  This morning I had to run back in before work to grab something I forgot.  He was whining and barking and banging against the cage.  I feel horrible but can't do anything because I have to get to work.  I don't care about the cage breaking, I can buy another one, I worry about him getting hurt.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.  [email protected]

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm sure others have gone through this, but seems to me you might have to reacclimate him to the crate.  You know he can get used to it, but something in the move has upset him.  You might just have to gate him off into a safe area of the apartment until you can gradually build up his trust in the crate again.  Moving can be a traumatic thing, especially if new members are added to the pack.  He's probably questioning his role now that thre's 3 of you there instead of 2.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had that issue with my male Boxer. For the first couple of weeks he did fine going into his crate. Then, all h*ll broke loose! I put one of my t-shirts with my scent on it in there, plus a kong with peanut butter and another toy. He finally calmed down.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
He's getting older and may be testing you and exerting his will.  You might try leaving a yummy treat with him like a Kong toy with peanut butter and banana in it.  It gives him something to do for a good half hour.  Hope this works for you.  Also make sure you take him out for some exercise before crating.  A good play session or walk is good to tire him out before his long rest.  

P.S. I use to give mine just the peanut butter in their Kongs, but they could clean that out in about 5 minutes flat.  Smushing the banana in there with the peanut has really slowed them down and it works great.  It also tires them out a bit so they are usually ready to lay down and rest after they are finished.  Additionally, you could leave a radio or tv on for them so they feel like they have company.  Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yep. Only need to post it once.  I'll just add it's only been a week...and you know he has the ability to tolerate the crate.  Take a deep breath, because this isn't "severe" separation at all.  Be happy he doesn't eliminate all over his crate.  Try coming home every day and having to pressure wash the crate, scrub the floors and walls with lysol, and giving him a full bath.  It could be worse   :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It also could be the move that has upset him. I know Samson, my 10 1/2 yr old, thrives on a routine, very schedule orientated, he likes things to stay the same. When we moved, it totally freaked him out and back to crating we went for abit....Try covering part of the crate with a blanket, make sit feel more like a nest, leave a radio on with a soothing station and definitely leave a nice treat for him in his crate. Give it a bit of time, he should be fine....It freaks us out worse than them I believe. Samson got soo upset once he moved the whole crate across the room 8O ...Hope this is some help

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is all great advice.  I really appreciate it.  We will keep at it.  We do our best to give a solid routine.  The only thing that worries me is injury.  I use a hammer to bend the bars of the cage back in place, Gino is using either his paws or head to bend them, makes us a bit nervous.  Does anyone recommend NOT using a crate?  I wouldn't attempt that yet due to his young age and still chewing things, but what would be a good age to start that?  If ever.  We are getting him neutered next week, I'm hoping that may calm him just a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I think for now, he could do too much harm if you left him uncrated, so for his safety I would stay with the crate....I actually use a heavy duty plastic one, the kind that are good for air travel as Samson kept escaping from the wire crates..I know that you probably don't want the expense of another crate, but that might be a solution for you. last thing you want is for him to injure himself in the crate.The neutering is not going to calm him, despite what people will tell you. It will make keep him from wanting to search for females some and also from marking....Boxers have a long puppyhood, til they are 3, some calm down after that, some don't...Good luck, please keep us posted and sure would like to see some pics of the "troublemaker"... :lol:

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
There are things you can do to secure the wire crates from pulling apart with tie-ons, but if he's bending the wires its probably not going to matter.  I know some people on here have said that the plastic crates are actually stronger.  You might want to look into those.  There are some dogs that never take to crating, for whatever reason.  For his safety if you don't use a crate, you need to find an area that you can gate off and is safe for him.  That might be tough in apartment though.  I am sure you can get him used to the crate again slowly, but obviously just taking off for the day is not going to work at this point.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't mean to offend you when I say this so don't take it the wrong way.  Are you spending as much time with him?  He may think that your g/f is taking his place.  This isn't quite the same but when we got Duke our female lab/mix started acting out. We have to make sure that when we give Duke attention we give her attention.  She is better now but we also have had Duke for quite a while now and she realizes we love her as much as we love Duke.  She mainly acted out with my b/f, she is really my dog but has always prefered Adam now we got Duke which is really supposed to be his dog and it was hard at first.  I think it will just be an adjustment for him and it will get better i'm sure.  But good luck, and always make sure that it is a positive thing that he is going into his crate.  

I think if you let him out of the crate during the day even in one room he might be distructive.  Its like a child when you disrupt their home they act out.  Thats what he is doing (I think), when my parents moved us to the country when I was in 5th grade I tried to run away (in the country you don't get to far).  But after a while I loved it, I'm sure he will too, now he has two people to love him all the time.  Hope this helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts