Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The literature suggests there is little difference in external physical appearance between male and female boxers (other than sexual organs of course and, in the female, the presence of nipples). However, I would like to ask the community whether you agree. Are there any particular features (body shape, stockiness, build, contours, facial appearance, eyes, etc) that you have noticed more in one sex than the other?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I have never seen any literature that suggests males and females look the same. Of course breed wise they should but body type no. My male outweighs my female his head is much larger his bone structure everything the picture i use is of my dogs my male was immature then he is much larger now. there are overall attitudes that are different as well

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
What "literature" are you referring to?
LOL, I was wondering the same thing!
You might be comparing Apples to Oranges, depending on where you live and what "Particular Boxers," you happen to see? There are "basically," two types (I would say) although the "British and the Germans," (for one might debate that?)
But in anycase they are not from here, so they are all "Euro's" to me. :)

The American Boxers are smaller and leaner than there "Euro," counter parts, the heads are Broader and there muzzles are shorter then there American Counter Parts. The Al Boxer tens to be shorter, slimmer and lighter than there Euro Counter Parts and the Males in either case are larger. And now you also have Euro/American Counter Parts, which seem to be a combo of both for the most part.

My friends have one and his the same lean trim body as my AL Girl did but he has a "Euro Head," Broader and Bigger than my girls but he had the same build as her but more of it. And my girl was 65 lbs of lean muscle but "Gidden," is just "Massively Larger!" His owners say he is 85 lbs but he seemed much bigger to me, he made my girl look tiny?

But a couple of links here.

And this one is a bit odd cuz they seem to conflate type with color? But the White One looks a lot like my girl did, so I'll include it. :)

And this one is interesting and I am not a "Dobbie Guy." But I really can't argue with his assessment of the Boxer.

And Stru and I used to do top speed runs chasing Jack Rabbits in the Desert. She never caught one cuz they kept cheating, they would ditch the straights cuz shed get to close, so they would do a hard cut into the brush and she follow them like a heat seeking missile! And then I would watch as the bunny came back onto the straight and sailed off into the sun! It happened every time ... and she never figured it out? Oh well it was cool to watch! :)

But back on point and type for type ... the Males Boxers are clearly larger. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello everyone, thanks for all your responses!

By "the literature" I simply meant general information that has been published about boxers. That males are larger is usually the only difference mentioned, but forum members have stated that this is not universally true and that even some females are beefier than their males. (See, for example, male vs. female?)

The purpose of my question was to explore, not which gender is bigger, but what, if any, aesthetic differences might exist between the two. For example, a man and woman who are both 5' 8" and 145 pounds standing next to each other would be easy to tell apart. This is because human beings are characterized by high sexual dimorphism.

Dogs, on the other hand, are among the least sexually dimorphic of species.

To what extent does this general truth regarding canines apply to boxers?

As in humans, are there differences in the appearance of male and female boxers apart from relative size? Would an experienced breeder or boxer aficionado be able to look at, say, a bunch of photographs of individual boxers and--without having any height or weight data--be able to correctly identify males and females?

The comments posted thus far focus primarily on size and weight, so it seems the answer to both questions is no.

I'd be interested, however, to hear some observations from other forum members, just in case there's someone who thinks they might know a definitive way to distinguish a male boxer's look from a female's look and thereby crack the theoretical boxer photograph-comparison test described above.

Thanks to everyone for contributing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone, thanks for all your responses!

By "the literature" I simply meant general information that has been published about boxers. That males are larger is usually the only difference mentioned, but forum members have stated that this is not universally true and that even some females are beefier than their males. (See, for example, male vs. female?)

The purpose of my question was to explore, not which gender is bigger, but what, if any, aesthetic differences might exist between the two. For example, a man and woman who are both 5' 8" and 145 pounds standing next to each other would be easy to tell apart. This is because human beings are characterized by high sexual dimorphism.

Dogs, on the other hand, are among the least sexually dimorphic of species.

To what extent does this general truth regarding canines apply to boxers?

As in humans, are there differences in the appearance of male and female boxers apart from relative size? Would an experienced breeder or boxer aficionado be able to look at, say, a bunch of photographs of individual boxers and--without having any height or weight data--be able to correctly identify males and females?

The comments posted thus far focus primarily on size and weight, so it seems the answer to both questions is no.

I'd be interested, however, to hear some observations from other forum members, just in case there's someone who thinks they might know a definitive way to distinguish a male boxer's look from a female's look and thereby crack the theoretical boxer photograph-comparison test described above.

Thanks to everyone for contributing!
Male boxers are usually a little more stocky and taller, female boxers are that bit shorter and if fead right they are a but slimmer unless they are been overfead lol
In terms of personality no real difference to any breed females or more stubborn and tend to be cleaner in the home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts