Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night Baxter started shaking his head and twitching his ears; he also tries to scratch his ears/face a lot.  This morning he woke up and his right side of this face was swollen a little bit around his muzzle and eye.  The swelling has gone down and he is eatting and playing, but he is still trying to scratch his face/ear and he keeps twitching his ears and shaking his head.  Any ideas?  I've been looking around and have seen a lot about allergies, but not much else.  I wanted to give it some time before I give him benadryl and if/when I do how much should I give him; he's only 7.5 lbs.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
How old is he??  At 7.5 lbs I am assuming VERY young.    Also how long have your had him?  Did he recently do to the vet (when you got him) and get a complete check up?    Could be a lot of things, from mites, to a bug bite.    I would not give him anything until you consult your vet due to his weight.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Don't know what to think except the swelling and itching kinda sounds like something bit him??? Benadryl is 1 -2 mg/lb but I'm not sure about giving to such a little guy, maybe someone knows about that??? Sorry I'm not more help, hope he gets better soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he's 8 weeks old.  I'm gonna keep an eye on him for now and see if it keeps occuring.  We have taken him to the vet and since they couldn't give him any shots at the time they took his temp and he was normal.  Thanks for the info.  I just wanted to feedback.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Did they look in his ears to rule out mites or yeast?    Keep and eye on him, however if he does develop any more swelling best to take him in.   You do not want anything to swell in the face that can hinder  the airways.

Also if he continutes to be bothered by the (ears) best to swab the ear for mites, bacteria and yeast.   Common (yeast) in pups.   Good Luck!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They didn't look at his ears when we took him in.  He was having some worms in his poop, so we took him in for that.  We go back next Friday for his full check-up/shots.  Can I swab his ears at home as a preventative measure?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the swelling is still gone, but Baxter's ears are still twitching every so often; a call to the vet is in  order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts