Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have read through the past threads and really did not see anything.

I am wondering what every one uses to bath your boxer? We have one my wife got from some where that says it is for boxers but would like to try something else once. When I took him in for a what I call a day at the spa, they washed him two times with one being an oatemeal bath, not sure what that is, but it was awesome. And what about using conditioner, do you all use it and if so what' s the name....

:discuss:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I picked up a puppy shampoo from Petsmart, and have been using that. He gets super clean and soft from it, and it lasts for a while, so no stink (besides his booty).

·
Registered
240 Posts
For my Laila and Bruce i use a normal shampoo for dogs with short hair but for Zeus i use the medicated shampoo cause of his skin , it is called Malaseb Shampoo

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got a AKC handbook when I got mugzee and in it it says never to use shampoo made for people, something to do with the skin and oils.

....and what about the oatmeal bath, any of you give this to your dog? Like I said before, I took Chew in one time to get the works and they said they wash them two times with one being an oatmeal bath. All I know about it is that when I picked him up he never looked, smelt, or felt better....So that brings me to this, as I was loking at the dog.com online they have the oatmeal bath stuff and was thinking of trying it and wondered if any of you have done it before.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Yes we have used it. I didn't notice that much of a difference.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I groom dogs, the reason the dog never looked so good is because we bathe the dog then usually use a force dryer to get all the water off the dog and the put the dog in a crate with a towel and fans on it. So there is no real time for your dog to just be wet. Also I'd assume they used a 'zoom groom' while they were bathing him. You can buy one at petsmart and ill post a pic of what it looks like. It helps lather your dog really well and scrub it. Basically put the shampoo on your dog, add a little water and then use this thing to scrub all over. There should be a lather like when we shampoo our hair. Do his face ears, all over everywhere and then rinse. I don't know where people came up with the IDE not to wash a dogs ears or face but that's nonsense. Then use one of those things you use on cars to soak up all the water, kind of feels rubbery (I'll post a pic of that too) and soak all the water up off your dog ring out the rag and keep gong over your dog until it's pretty much dry. Put him in a crate with towels and a box fan until he's dry and there ya go. That's how we do it :)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I groom dogs, the reason the dog never looked so good is because we bathe the dog then usually use a force dryer to get all the water off the dog and the put the dog in a crate with a towel and fans on it. So there is no real time for your dog to just be wet. Also I'd assume they used a 'zoom groom' while they were bathing him. You can buy one at petsmart and ill post a pic of what it looks like. It helps lather your dog really well and scrub it. Basically put the shampoo on your dog, add a little water and then use this thing to scrub all over. There should be a lather like when we shampoo our hair. Do his face ears, all over everywhere and then rinse. I don't know where people came up with the IDE not to wash a dogs ears or face but that's nonsense. Then use one of those things you use on cars to soak up all the water, kind of feels rubbery (I'll post a pic of that too) and soak all the water up off your dog ring out the rag and keep gong over your dog until it's pretty much dry. Put him in a crate with towels and a box fan until he's dry and there ya go. That's how we do it :)
Hey, that is some really good info, thanks. I did see those towels that your talking about on dog.com. We thought about one of those blow dryers for dogs too. If you dont mind me asking, what brand of shampoo do you think is good. If you have the time, check out dog.com and see if they have some good ones to buy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Plus we don't use shampoos you can buy in a store. Go to petedge.com and buy a gallon of whatever shampoo you like it's about 20-30 a gallon but it will last you forever! You guy get a zoom groom on that site too. You don't need to have a business just make one up when you check out. It's all wholesale prices. This is the one we have used at the places I have worked and one place was a highend spa place as well.
Top Performance Oatmeal Shampoo | PetEdge.com

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

This is a zoom groom.

And this is the thing to dry them. Get it in an auto section at walmart or any place that has auto sections.
Oh OK on the towel, but about that zoom groom thing, is that just a scrub brush? hard to tell from pix.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
AWESOME Callme, Thanks for all your time. I'm glad I waited to buy the shampoo stuff, LOL, I'm going shopping haha...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Great advice CallMeALunatic! When ours were puppies (until 12-14 weeks of age) we used Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I know it's "people" shampoo but it's very gentle and never caused any sort of irritation. For the dogs we've had good luck with the BioSpot shampoo from Petsmart (Bio Spot Flea and Tick Shampoo for Dogs and Puppies - Flea & Tick - Dog - PetSmart). It lathers well, hasn't caused any skin irritation in our boxers or chihuahua, and the scent seems to last a little longer than with some others we've tried. :)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I also use Johnsons baby shampoo...but I do have a question, I always heard not to get water in dogs ears so I dont wash her ears when bathing her, I put cotton balls in her ears, do I not have to do that? then when done I use a baby wash cloth and with it just damp I clean out her ears and her face..I usually dont scrub above the neck and then I clean the ears and face seperatly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good question. I'd always heard the same so, like BrooklynsMom I try to use a rag to wash the face separately. We also use an ear cleaning solution to clean inside the ears as well as help dry any water that's gotten in during the bath.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts