Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a 1 year old brindle baby girl.  We got her from a well respected breeder and to be honest with you she's an angel.  I don't know if she's still adjusting or not but she doesn't seem to have any interest in treats yet.She was trained to be a show dog so she has a little bit of a hard time sitting on command (they teach them not to sit cause they don't want them to sit in the ring)  Any suggestions to help this little problem.

·
Registered
78 Posts
What treats are you using?

I can tell you from past experience that a dog can do both.  Be trained for showing and obedience at the same time.  Does your girl know the "stand" command?  If she learns each command, "stand" and "sit" then she'll do either when asked.  I taught my boy that it's the different lead that let's him know where his is and if sitting is allowed.  I'm sure your girl will understand the difference as well.  I would also suggest some patience with her.  Perhaps settling in and becoming more comfortable with her new surroundings and her new people will bring her around for you.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Welcome to the forum and rest assured that there are some excellent trainers here that will undoubtedly answer your question for you.  I'm sure Liz and Lilly will be here shortly to help out.  Good luck with your training.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the treat thing yet.  Give her a few more days to come around and then try again.  If she doesn't like the treats you got her, then start the search for her holy grail treat.  You could also boil hamburger, drain it, and try it as a treat expressly for training.

As for sit...Really reinforce that sit=praise, affection and treats/play!!!!  Use lots of each!!!  Boxers learn very quickly and get bored easily so have training sessions be high energy and fun and not to repetitive!!!  It won't take long and she'll be sitting in no time flat!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts