Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

She hates water

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  NaryJonson 
#1 ·
So we are surrounded by lakes at our new house and we would love for Gypsy to enjoy the lake and swim but she hates water. Aside from putting her paws in and having a drink no and again she wants nothing to do with it...any suggestions?

#5 ·
Hey Gypsy, good to see you back, and glad that Gypsy is doing well. So I live on the water and the one thing I did was just walk into the water a few feet in and stood there with my back to Zuke. Eventually he walked in. I didn't say a word, I didn't look at him and didn't try to force him. I let him make the choice if he wanted to follow me or not. Something you could try. Not sure if the lakes you live around gradually get deeper, but if it isn't a shallow slope into the water, be very careful, I have heard a lot of boxers aren't the best swimmers. Either way, I wouldn't force her, just let her make the choice. :)

#6 ·
A friend of mine, when he was young and very foolish, threw a boxer into an above-ground pool thinking the dog would start swimming. Well, nope - the boxer sunk to the bottom and was walking around looking up at the surface until my terrified friend dove in and got the poor dog out. The dog was ok, but it was an awful lesson for my friend.

So just keep in mind - not every dog was meant to swim.

#8 ·
Yeah that is a good call on your part. Dog's are bred to do certain thing's? Now I never looked but I don't recall ever seeing uh Greyhound's, to name one being big on swimming?

It's just not there thing? Short of living on a "House Boat?" Or having a "pool," ... I really don't see the "need," to force a "Boxer," to swim?

And Kappadappa"s tale. LOL well that is not a "Boxer's," can't swim story? That is more of a "Boxer," are "Boxer's" story. Kinda like "F," you ... I'll "Do what I want!" Pig Headed and stubborn to the extreme!

I will die ... before I will swim, ... because I don't want to "swim!" And "slight tangent, but broader point ... you "won't see that with a Mal or WL GSD? Now those dog's have there issues ... but they won't chose to drown before doing something they don't want to do! You gotta luv that!

We have thread on here about "Boxers," and water ... but I can't find it? But I can/will say that "Boxer's can swim," if they want to?

My Stru ... launched herself of a 5 foot drop and sailed about 15 feet in the air chasing a "Duck!" She gave chase and the "Duck," cheated! The Duck took off and took sail and glided to touch down on the water? And Stru was moving to fast to stop! I watched her sail ... far across the water and sink like a stone?

She was a CA and then a NV dog? And as such had never been in water over her paw's aside from a wading pool? I freaked out and scrambled down the bank of the "Duck Pound!" To determine if I needed to dive in and try to find her? But she popped up and still wanted that freaking duck! So she was yards off shores but not done just yet! The Duck was there still and she gave chase! But yeah a Dog v Duck, on water? The dog is gonna lose! She figured that out after a brife chase and returned to shore, no worst for ware. :)

So can "Boxer's swim?" Yes they can but will they? It depends on the dog! Now "Drown or Die?" Is pretty hard core. But I don't find that as a Surprise, myself?" It's a Molosser thing, full stop! Yeah I know a bit vague but some members will know what I refer to? Wither they acknowledge it or not.

Anyway, get her a Kiddie wading pool. They are cheap and small. Fill it up throw in a few toy's and see if she will get in? My Band Dawg luv'ed it! Course he was 25% lab so yeah. Gunther would plop down and roll around in the pool and water would splash everywhere! And Struddell LOL, well a bit different?

She would get in a walk in circles chasing her Duck, Duck and she would dip her head in the water a lot to grab it. But after about a year or so? I noticed she never lays down in the kiddie pool? If it was 95 or 100 degrees outside ... she would rather lay on concrete and sun bath?? Kind of odd but she preferred sunshine to water? But she could swim and would if she had to.

But a kiddie pool should be a good safe non traumatizing choice. :)

#9 ·
Thanks chip,

Love the story of the duck.

We used to have a kiddie pool and she did the same thing but she ate bits of it and it wouldn't hold water anymore lol she has a thing with trying to eat plastic lol

It funny how they prefer to sunbathe, we call her bacon when she does and tell her she needs to flip cuz she only lies on one side when she does

#10 ·
LOL ... ate the pool?? OK that I have never heard of?? But the sunbathing ... yep I have seen that! It would tick me off! Freaking 100 degrees and she is outside in the sun laying on the concrete! I would scream for her to come inside and she was always like "whatever?" But she never got sun burned from her foolishness?

And te Duck Pound," bit freaked me out! She had never been in water over her head uh ever! And when she did pop back up ... "Thank God!" She was not done with that Duck! She was still going after it! But she quickly figured out that Dog v Duck on water was not gonna work? So she gave up the chase and came back to shore. No worst for the experience, but I never went back there with her again. :)

But yeah I would say Boxer's, can swim. But you know ... will they? They are not a Newfie a Lab or a Golden. Water is not really there thing? Drown or Die, is a pretty hard core choice?

But like my High Desert, high temp "bunny chasing Boxer," there is always One? This Boxer has no water issues?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.