Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I'll tell my experience with shock collar on my first boxer.

I was having problems with her getting distracted at the dog park, and not listening to me. She was "boxing" other dogs, being dominate, and getting into snarling arguments with other dogs. Nothing too crazy, but the problem was that she completely ignored me when she got inside the fence.

I put on the shock collar, and after voice command didn't work, gave the tone warning, then shock.

I got her attention with the shock, and I think It was only twice that I used the shock. After that, the tone worked. I never had to shock her again.

Also, the tone wasn't needed for very long either. It was maybe two weeks later and the shock collar just rotted at the bottom of the dog toy basket. I can't find it.

Anyway, It was like magic with my dog. She got the point to LISTEN to me. And it wasn't like I needed to cause pain with the thing. The tone was the useful part of the tool.

I'll be honest, I bought a new shock collar. But it is still in the package, and I have decided not to open it until she gets older and gains more confidence. I'll probably not need it at all.

I just need to be more patient. Work with her some more. She responds treats and praise just fine.

I do appreciate feedback from the members here.
It sounds like you did well with the E-Collar. But to be accurate ... you solved a problem you did not have to have, by putting him in a position to fail.

If you "want" to find a bunch of undisciplined, unruly dogs that "don't" listen to their owners ... just go to your local Dog Park. Pretty much the home of the undisciplined and the unruly ... and they bring their dogs with them. :)

And some dogs should not be at the Dog Park, and for the most part, those dogs owners know that. BUt there take is often "Hey my Dog's issues are not my problem, his issues are your problem. Let me know how it works out??

Most Pro's that deal with dogs with serious issues ... don't do Dog Parks. Dogs don't need doggie friends. All a dog needs ... is you. But if you must, known safe dogs only or Pack Walks if they are available where you are???
With Pack walks all dogs on leashes and owners that "care" are with them.

I don't trust other people and their dogs myself my moto is "You keep your distance, I'll keep mine ... "Thank You."

And the behaviours your Boxer displayed at the Dog Park ie play style ... yep that is what they do! And some dogs ... don't take well to being punched in the face, circled at high speed and being jumped on ... and they know only two ways to make it stop, run away or put an end to this crap with their teeth! Dogs don't dial 911, to settle disputes ... just saying. :)

But enough from me ... aww sorta, see the second link here from Leerburgh on Dog Parks. And if you do go see the article from Robin Bennett "On Three Dogs Who Should Not Be At The Dog Park." Just a heads up as it were.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

And yes time and patience and be cautious with the "overuse of treats." You can't give a treat for everything she does right, every time. Make the use of treats random. If you get the treat thing wrong, it ramps the dog up for the treat and yet again ... they won't listen to you. But it sounds like your getting it ... you two should do well. :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Completely agree, would never use it on a pup. Why I waited 2 years with many hours of training and frustration and finally getting one to proof what I saw was a safety issue.

Also agree the key is knowing exactly how to use it and making sure you either talk to a qualified trainer who uses it or watch a ton of videos. Never ever use one if you aren't sure. Like you said, could make a situation much worse.
Well I saw what you finally achieved, with your dog and you should be proud! Two years is a long time to have put in that much effort without much success?? Most people, I would dare say would have decided, "it is what is" and I'll just live with it and you know "Hope there dog does not fall victim to it's lack of discipline???" You did great. :)

And it would seem we followed similar paths of failure with one tool and then settled on the same a SLL, well that's kinda odd?? I know how I came across it and it was purely by accident! They handed me one at a rescue event and a dog that was uh claimed to be a serious puller!

And to be fair ... when I gave him back to his handler ... sigh he still was??? But ... before that I'd never heard of a SLL nor well cept for Cesar never seen one??? And now I more fully understand that I only used about 90% of what's that tool can do??? It is "also" a Dominant Dog Collar, but I never had the need for that use of it at that time. Many years later with a potential "Cat Killer??" Rescued off the street, I would use it as a DDC! Worked out fine.

But back on point ... I just pretty much used the SLL the same as a "Flat leash and regular collar!" You can't yank and crank a dog with a Regular collar and a flat leash (well I suppose you could but ... it's not gonna work!")

I just took note of the little tabby thing?? Snugged that up high and snug ... and waited to see what happened?? LOL, piece of cake ... yep the dog struggled for a minute or two, (I said nothing) then he stopped, waited and sat down and looked up at me to await further instruction?? Frankly ... I was stunned! But I looked down at him and said OK ... and off we went! It was a great day!

At any rate, I surmise I had no issue with a SLL "because" I could already walk a dog with a Regular Collar and Flat Leash?? But how did you come to chose that tool??? I'm curious because despite the number of my views my SLL thread has ... I can only count about Five people that seem to get it???

And one of them was a surprise because they were a skilled trainer and Prong user! But they PM'd me for advise on using a SLL?? So of course my first question was "why??" And ... they had moved to Canada and wanted to do rescue work and "surprise" .... rescues are not gonna let you put a "Prong Collar" on there dogs!

But my question is "how did you come across a SLL??" Because I have "tried" to explain its use but with mixed results?? Or if members have success, they have not said so ... lots of lukers I suppose???

I suppose a SLL is most likely trying to control a wet noodle, if one has no idea ... I don't know?? But what's your story on how you came to use one??

And oh yeah per BTE2 also ... I see Larry has new puppy "Work for food" ... who knew?? :)

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
We took her to the beach yesterday.

Here is a short video.

https://youtu.be/sRKGMKZMjpQ
LOL,well she is certainly not a Lab or a Newifie! But she did let her feet get wet!

My Struddell was like that with water but a lot less of it granted. We had a small wading pool. And my Band Dawg ... 25% LAB, mix, would get in there and flop and roll around and splash all the water out!

And when it was Struddell's turn ... she would walk carefully around in circles, trying to grab her Duck, Duck without getting water on her face or chest! Boxers can swim but they have a pretty low percentage of body fat, so it's most likely swimming is a lot of work for them?? (I can relate to that one) But it looks like she is having a lot of fun, thanks for sharing. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well I saw what you finally achieved, with your dog and you should be proud! Two years is a long time to have put in that much effort without much success?? Most people, I would dare say would have decided, "it is what is" and I'll just live with it and you know "Hope there dog does not fall victim to it's lack of discipline???" You did great. :)

And it would seem we followed similar paths of failure with one tool and then settled on the same a SLL, well that's kinda odd?? I know how I came across it and it was purely by accident! They handed me one at a rescue event and a dog that was uh claimed to be a serious puller!

And to be fair ... when I gave him back to his handler ... sigh he still was??? But ... before that I'd never heard of a SLL nor well cept for Cesar never seen one??? And now I more fully understand that I only used about 90% of what's that tool can do??? It is "also" a Dominant Dog Collar, but I never had the need for that use of it at that time. Many years later with a potential "Cat Killer??" Rescued off the street, I would use it as a DDC! Worked out fine.

But back on point ... I just pretty much used the SLL the same as a "Flat leash and regular collar!" You can't yank and crank a dog with a Regular collar and a flat leash (well I suppose you could but ... it's not gonna work!")

I just took note of the little tabby thing?? Snugged that up high and snug ... and waited to see what happened?? LOL, piece of cake ... yep the dog struggled for a minute or two, (I said nothing) then he stopped, waited and sat down and looked up at me to await further instruction?? Frankly ... I was stunned! But I looked down at him and said OK ... and off we went! It was a great day!

At any rate, I surmise I had no issue with a SLL "because" I could already walk a dog with a Regular Collar and Flat Leash?? But how did you come to chose that tool??? I'm curious because despite the number of my views my SLL thread has ... I can only count about Five people that seem to get it???

And one of them was a surprise because they were a skilled trainer and Prong user! But they PM'd me for advise on using a SLL?? So of course my first question was "why??" And ... they had moved to Canada and wanted to do rescue work and "surprise" .... rescues are not gonna let you put a "Prong Collar" on there dogs!

But my question is "how did you come across a SLL??" Because I have "tried" to explain its use but with mixed results?? Or if members have success, they have not said so ... lots of lukers I suppose???

I suppose a SLL is most likely trying to control a wet noodle, if one has no idea ... I don't know?? But what's your story on how you came to use one??

And oh yeah per BTE2 also ... I see Larry has new puppy "Work for food" ... who knew?? :)
Funny thing it was when Caesar first came on tv. I noticed every single time someone came to him with a dog that pulled or wouldn't walk correctly, he would grab his own modified SLL, and hand back whatever the owner was using. Usually a harness. I was in between pets, but my gf had a rescue who pulled and they gave her the dog with a harness. I figured what the hell, let me see if its as easy as Caesar is showing it to be. Sure enough after a few minutes of the dog getting used to the SLL, the dog walked great. One thing that always stuck with me, was when he said how leashes and other tools are low on the dogs neck which is one of the strongest areas and if you pull you will get a ton of resistance back from the dog. Where if you use an SLL properly you are controlling the head, not the neck, and it takes minimal correction when you have control of the head. He was right. lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
she did let her feet get wet!

When I was swimming, she swam out to me once where the water was deeper. But that was it. I let her decide if she wanted to swim.

This is lake Superior, the water isn't very warm, and she gets cold easy.

But yeah, she likes the beach.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Funny thing it was when Caesar first came on tv. I noticed every single time someone came to him with a dog that pulled or wouldn't walk correctly, he would grab his own modified SLL, and hand back whatever the owner was using. Usually a harness. I was in between pets, but my gf had a rescue who pulled and they gave her the dog with a harness. I figured what the hell, let me see if its as easy as Caesar is showing it to be. Sure enough after a few minutes of the dog getting used to the SLL, the dog walked great. One thing that always stuck with me, was when he said how leashes and other tools are low on the dogs neck which is one of the strongest areas and if you pull you will get a ton of resistance back from the dog. Where if you use an SLL properly you are controlling the head, not the neck, and it takes minimal correction when you have control of the head. He was right. lol
LOL I took note of the same thing!!! But I never made the change over!!

And they say you can't learn crap from TV shows! Keep your mouth shut, place the noose high and snug and just ... wait! The dog will figure it out. That works with "most dogs." And usually it only takes "a couple of minutes" and you can start walking pretty much issue free on a loose leash. :)

Out of a dozen or so some that have been on a leash in there life. But I had two hard core dog's! A big headed pity that took ten minutes to get him to move uh forward! Short of actually biting me ... he did everything he could to ditch that leash!! But I waited and when we did move forward ... he cut hard right in front of me, WTH???

But the owner was tired and did not really care about the leash manners, he had two more dogs at how ...just like this and he was good with that on leash behaviour???

And then I had my neighbors browbeaten back yard only dog, that needed to go to the vet in a week! And she was a "Hard Core" plopper downer???

I put the leash on her positioned, it correctly on her in the house and no problem. We go out the door and of course she starts to pull. No big deal I give a minor slight tug sideways and ... the dog Slams to the ground and she won't move!???

A trained behaviour ... her response to her owners screaming at her (that's how they trained her, was to plop down!)

It took 30 minutes just to get her to go half a house length away from home!! Aww, well it's a good thing I went with them to the vet! As no where there could get her to move!!

But I did learn something with her. Once her vet visit was over, I took her outside for a walk! And "Surprise" once she was no longer on her home turf, she had no one to trust except for me! And she did great on unfamiliar turf! Lesson learned. :)

But back to Cesar and the SLL, he says "I use a SLL" but that is about as far as he goes?? And he seems to relish in being able to control "any dog" with nothing more than that "Skinny POC" SLL that they hand out in the vet office?? Well you know, he can do that because he is Cesar Millan. But for most "normal owners" that form of SLL is a pretty choice!

It does not have the little tabby thing to keep it in proper position! So the invisible part ... that one can't see on TV (well except as of now they can) is that he uses his arm to keep the leash in the proper position at first!

If you don't catch that ... your gonna struggle! And the other thing he does that I personnel find annoying and well incorrect in "my opinion."

And this I only noticed when I tried to find a video of my oft mentioned "Slight sideways tug to throw the dog off balance" not straight back for a correction.

I was looking for a clip from him to show the "Slight tug sideways" and found him working with a "Out of Control" GSD! And sigh ... yeah it was a "Black One." I don't know what it is about the Black GSD's but if you want a good example of poor behaviour ... you can always find one. :)

At any rate that dog has a pretty serious other dog issue! And when Cesar was doing the let the other dog pass bit. Yeah he was "correcting the dog" but not in the manner I expected nor is it what I would or advise??

He was doing a very short serious of minor upward corrections in rapid fashion?? And yes ... it worked finally but in "my opinion" it is sloppy and time consuming! (And the skill here is seriously skewed because we are still talking seconds for rehab here not minuents!)

But Cesar is a Behaviourist and not a Dog Trainer. And pro's ... don't screw around with "Nagging minor corrections, period!" Correct the dog once for crap behaviour and get on with the program!

With that exact same dog there were two other viable options. The dog was clearly out of control, if one is in a "I don't have time for this crap mode!' Then "One hard sideways correction" the dog would move hard and fast sideways into your left leg if need be! Dogs are strongest front to back ... they don't do sideways well at all. Usually a minor sideways tug is sufficient but that dog was wayyyy over the top!

Buttt you know ... that's a lot more effort than I am willing to put in dealing with a tool of a dog! Plan B and it is just as effective if not more so ... is the second dare I say hidden use of a SLL?? It is also a Dominant Dog Collar??

Same deal, subject dog sees other dog and explodes ... sigh ... I don't have time for this crap! So again using a properly positioned, SLL, one only need apply slow upward pressure on the leash until the dogs front feet just start to lift off the ground and the dog "shuts up!" The message get's received and the dog shuts up!

Potential "Cat Killer" rescue off the street "Pit" was the only time I had to employ that technique?? I think it was maybe three times in a 24 hour period?? But the next day when my most skittish cat approached her the aptly named "Spooky!" Came out of hiding to see, would have been named Sally ... Sally bowed down to greet her!! There was "now" no problem.

"Spooky" knew the dogs "attitude" had changed?? And I LOL, well I was stunned at the rather rapid change in Cat behaviour, as in 24 hours! At any rate as a DDC a real SLL would be a better choice for use as a DDC. That skinny nylon rope Cesar uses would/could cut into the dog to some degree , most likely that is why he forgo option two?? I don't know???

But you know this is a Boxer Forum and "still" it would seem "Hard Core, people biting, Dog Killing Boxers. Are a pretty rare thing??

And I would say ... that's a good thing! So this bit of info aside, it's back to the nutty braty ... I don't wanna listen to "You," behaviour that we have all grown to know and luv. :)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Maybe you guys could help with improvement in the potty outside department.

She's showing improvement here, so she's doing well, but she's having trouble with the idea of the command "out" means go outside and go.

Just this morning, when she woke up (I knew she had to go bad, and NOW), I opened the door, gave the command, and she started trotting off into the house. Sigh. That would not end well.

She wants me to come out with her. She refuses to "go potty" on command. She does it when she wants. like she's a cat or something. sigh.

A shock collar wouldn't work with this anyway.

Anyway, this morning I shoved her out the door, and left her out there. She goes eventually. If I'm not careful, she'll come in and pee right away, cause she's not "getting it" really.

I've been easy on her about going in the house, voice tone is sufficient, to let here know. she knows. she's learned to go hide, but when I'm diligent about getting her out, no accidents.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also thanks for the other folks taking time to reply on the e-collar topic.

We have a fenced in backyard and a doggie door and two older boxers. When we got our puppy about a year ago, we left a collar on him (our older boys don't have one but are chipped), and I took him out after eating, sleeping or playing- always on a leash. I went to the same area each time and would give him a treat initially, as well as praise. There were days when it seemed to take him forever to do his thing, but it didn't take him long to figure out what to do.

Once they know to go outside, if you don't have a doggie door, you can hang a bell or something noisy from the door to the outside and you can teach them to ring it when they need out. We took a paw and would hit the bell, then open the door. They caught on quickly (this was before the doggie door).

I took him out at night too until he was old enough to hold it longer. Puppies are a lot of work, but they usually learn from consistency and patience.

I'm not a very patient person most of the time, but, like kids, puppies have to learn what's expected. They are each different, and I can say that they have all taught me things too....and still are.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chlorine/hot tub

Chlorine coupled with heat may not be good for your dog's skin. Also, the vapors... I hope your baby lives a long and happy life. Mine, who died in 1978, was only 8, at the height of the cancer epidemic in the boxer breed.

Hello everyone.
Just got another boxer pup.
My first one lived 12 years. Cancer took her.
My new one is 14 weeks in this video.
She likes the hot tub. I started bringing her in as a way to cuddle, and to give her a bath. The chlorine makes her flash color pop. Anyway she started to ask to go in, and she seems to enjoy the water. I made a video to share with ya'll.
IMG 2795 - YouTube

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also disagree with the early use of a shock collar because it looks a little cruel to such a cute puppy. Perhaps, you could choose another training method, like food-encouraging way. Giving her a happy and positive ‘childhood' may help to not only shape a healthy personality but also build a good relationship between you and her.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Chlorine coupled with heat may not be good for your dog's skin. Also, the vapors... I hope your baby lives a long and happy life. Mine, who died in 1978, was only 8, at the height of the cancer epidemic in the boxer breed.
Sorry for you loss and yeah Eight years is also way to young ... Struddell started showing the first signs of DM at eight years , so there is that ...

But I to would have lot's of concern with the hot tub bit ... I don't think I would encourage that on a routine basis myself??? Boxers already have a lot of problems getting past year 10??? I'd not want to do anything that would decree there odds??? :confused:

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I also disagree with the early use of a shock collar because it looks a little cruel to such a cute puppy. Perhaps, you could choose another training method, like food-encouraging way. Giving her a happy and positive ‘childhood' may help to not only shape a healthy personality but also build a good relationship between you and her.
I "think" the E-Collar on a puppy this young was just a "passing thought???" I think the "OP" feels that perhaps maybe "right now" it's not the best idea???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Just an update. I bought a shock collar, but never opened it up out of the packaging. I haven't needed it.

Nisha is doing well. She is training better as she gets older. The potty training has shown noticeable improvement. She still has accidents in the house every once in a while, but if I stay on top of it, and make sure that she goes outside often enough, then she won't go in the house.

She is a very sweet puppy, and brings me a lot of joy.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
ant Thanks for the update. Yeas we get trained to know when out pup has to go out, and later they do. Be sure to clean with a enzyme cleaner like natures Miracle so no oder is left behind, if she has any accidents, that way she won't want to go back to that spot.

·
Banned
12 Posts
My Martin loves to swim, play, sleep and jump into our new hot tub. I can’t express into words how happy he was when he played for the first time in the hot tub. His happiness and enthusiasm didn’t have limits. Nothing could make him get out of the water, till he got tired and bored. I would like to learn how to keep him away from our blow up hot tub. I am afraid in one day he will break it with his happiness. We tried to put chlorine and different chemicals in the water, but no success. He is still jumping like crazy into the tub when we get him out of the house. What can we do? We also want to enjoy our hot tub, but in clean water.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts