Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any suggestions on keeping a boxer from getting bored? I have a 1 1/2 year old brindle girl, and she is normally very well behaved. But we have had a few incidents and it seems to be getting more frequent. She has ate 3 pairs of shoes, an $80 dog bed, and chewed the corner of some wood molding. The shoes are now out of sight and reach, the wood is covered. But now the real issue is her bed. She destroyed the 1st one, and now the second one she has unzipped the cover twice and ripped pieces off. If she does it one more time I will have to throw it away. When we leave the house she has run of the kitchen, hallway, stairs, and the dog room. We give her toys, a few treats on the floor, a kong w/ kong treat in it, or a nyla bone to chew on. We have to be careful on the treats we give her because she has a kidney problem and needs low protein, so that means no peanut butter in the kong, and can't really switch the treats up that much. I am getting so frustrated with the destroying of things, I have even thought of puttng a tv or radio in her room and keeping it on during the day.

I will try anything to keep this little girl from getting bored during the day. Could it be seperation anxiety?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
The easiest way is to crate train her.  She cant destroy anything you dont want her to if shes in the crate.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is deathly afraid of the crate..... we tried when we got her and she would shake so hard it would shake the crate. She would pee in the crate so much she would be soaked. Now that we leave her out she does not pee in the house and seems much happier when we leave.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
she more than likely has seperation anxiety. Many boxers have this and it can be difficult to deal with at times. IMO i would not let her have run of any part of the house. If she doesnt like the kennel then i would see about confining her to a smaller area that has been properly boxer proofed. I agree with Angela though-kenneling is going to be the best way to stop the destruction. how did you come to get your girl? Was she rescue or from a breeder? Have you tried putting on soothing music or TV when you leave while she was in the kennel? Have you tried putting no bedding in the kennel? my Reese will pee in the kennel if there is a blanket but if there isnt then she wont do anything...she is 9 months old.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
How much exercise does she get or is she limited because of her kidney problem?  I found with Kiah the more exercise she gets the less destructive she is.  We go for a short walk in the am and then a long walk in the evening or go to the dog park.  On weekends she gets more exercise.  If the weather is really bad, we play fetch in the basement which is unfinished.  Its also great for wearing down her toenails :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We got her from a breeder but it was an adoption. He did not want her due to her kidney problem and was unable to be shown or bread. She was a sick little girl when we got her and has since gained 11-12 pounds, finished her weeks of antibiotics , and has been showing more and more personality in the past few weeks. Where we got her from she was in a conrete kennel. She only has run of part of the house. The 2 bedrooms, dining room, and living room are gated when we are gone she only gets the 1 bedroom, stairs, and kitchen.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I would limit it even more at this point. Either the room or the kitchen. how long have you had her? Could it be the kidney problems that was causing her to soil the kennel so badly. I am not trying to force you to use the kennel, but i am a big advocate for the kennel-our girls are alway kenneled if we arent home...this is for the safety of them as well as my own things :D I also agree with barb, she may need a bit more exercise since she is still young.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kiahsmom.....she also gets a walk in the am and a longer walk before bed. On the weekends and sometimes during the week we also take her to the dog park or any place we can bring her. We just have not been able to take her to the dog park much because she is in heat for the last 2 weeks.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It does sound like seperation anxiety to me.  I agree that she should have a little less space to roam.  Maybe just the kitchen or just the bedroom...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It also sounds like being in a house is new to her. We had that with Angel as well at 18 mos. Took us awhile for her to get accclimated and yes, we did crate her...Everything freaked her out! Even the microwave..It also sounds like she is dealing with separation anxiety, which takes awhile to get over..Samson had it awful when I rescued him at 6 yrs...He bonded very quickly with me and totally freaked any time I left..After about 6 mos, he finally realized that Momma WAS coming back and it was ok, so it could be she is just going to need time to adapt...It's too bad she can't be crated, probably bad memories for her, which is a shame..I'd try leaving a soothing radio station on for her, and also leave her an old shirt of yours that has your smell on it...

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
All suggestions so far are very good, t-shirt, music etc.  I would also try to use an exercise pen to contain her in the house.  I would recommend getting a taller one to prevent accidental jumping outs.  It is not nearly as confining as a crate and much, much bigger but will limit her area without her having access to wood to chew on door jambs etc.  It would give her room to play in and stretch out in and relax in.  I can highly recommend there use.  You would need to start out putting her in it while you are home and leaving her in it for short amounts of time at first.  Just make sure you keep the events in it very fun and use a lot of praise when she goes in it.  You could put her in it while you are watching t.v. at night, working in the kitchen, etc.  You could have it set up right in the area where you are hanging out so she is actually right by you but in the pen.  

Nano

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today we left the radio on for her, made sure she had a walk before we left , and gave her plenty to play with.  We are advocates of the crate as well. We also have a mini daschund that is crated when we are not home and he does great. She only pees when she is in the crate, when we leave her out she doesn't.  Its not the kideney proble, she is under a vets supervison and has been on medication and rechecks every two weeks since we got her in August.

If it is seperation anxiety , could it come on out of no where? She only recently started destroying things.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My favorite trick to kepping a dog occupied is a kong! Fill it then freeze it and put it out a couple of minutes before you need to leave the house. You can fill it with peanut butter, or if you're concered about calories fill it with a mixture of pumpkin and regular flavored yogurt. My boxers LOVE their Kong and they know when I am getting ready to leave and get all excited because they know what's comming! And let me point out that since I started this, neither one have gotten into or tore up anything :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hoosier is getting destructive in his little area of the house (chewed up blinds, ripped up linoleum, chewed on wood, and destroying the rug), but I've noticed a direct correlation between his energy level and his destructiveness. When I take him to day care (he gets to play ALL DAY...the place is really safe and great), or on a long walk (3 miles) the next day or two he's fine. But if a couple days go by when he is couped up in the house without some serious exercise, he gets destructive.
Playing fetch in the backyard isn't enough for this guy, he needs to be out and active for at least an hour. Maybe you have a similar pup.

I also use the frozen Kong, but he is starting to make short work of it. Hoosier must play (and play hard) or he goes destructo. He is crate trained though...and he would have his bedding all over the place when he was in it when he got bored...a lot better than a chewed up wall. We just don't have room for the crate anymore.

We've resigned to at least two days a week at day care as the weather gets colder.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts