Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago Charlie began to shed.  Since then he hasn't quit.  I am in the process right now of changing food from Canidae to Chicken Soup.  Right now we give him a bath every 3 weeks.  He lives inside with us.  I know alot of people might think that 3 weeks is a little to often but after a couple of weeks he'll smell somewhat and he'll begin to make me break out in hives.  Most of the time I try to wear long sleeve t-shirts around him.  What can we do to help reduce shedding?  I've seen pills online but don't know if it's worth a crap or not.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
How come your switching foods? Canidae is a great food. Anyways my girl sheds like crazy!!!!!! I would recommend getting a rubber brush and brush him out once a day or every other day! I find that the rubber brushes work so much better I think because it causes static and the hair just clings to it! The first time I brushed Roxy it looked like a had a small dog laying on my floor! :lol:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
My girl really doesn't shed, and neither did my male. Hmmm, could very well be a food allergy. Canidae is a great food, but may not work for every dog. Hopefully the food switch will help. If not, I would call the vet and see what they say.  It may be you just have a shedder!  :wink:

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We used Canidae for I'm guessing 4 months.  We then switched to the lamb/rice blend of Canidae that is supposed to be for puppies/dogs with allergies.  I made the first switch because Charlie always had "eye boogers" and his skin was flaky at times.  He has been on the other Canidae for at least 3 months and a couple months ago he started to shed really bad.  I'm vacuuming about 3 times week and to be honest, the couches could use it daily along with his crate.  He's only been eating the Chicken Soup for a couple weeks because we're still transitioning him.  When I took the step up from 1/2 n 1/2 to 3/4 to 1/4 his poo has become more runny so I'm transitioning even slower now.  I know I'm probably rambling but we switched to hopefully get rid/reduce his shedding.  I'll ask again if anybody has tried the medication for shedding like they've got at 1800petmeds.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Tink sheds like mad all the time aswell.  It's something I've always associated with short, smooth-hair coats.

Of course, because she's white, the dilemma is wear dark clothes and look like you've just walked through a cotton field, or wear white ones and run the risk of having them destroyed with paw prints etc. approx. 3.4 seconds after you've put them on, lol!

Anyone else unable to keep up with the amount of laundry a boxer generates???

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cactus has just started shedding big time, due to the huge change in temperature- it is in the 90's already.  I have this lovely rubber brush that looks like something you would use on a horse- it has long "fingers" and it solid.  It works like a charm.

I can already tell that this summer, I am going to bathe Cactus a lot.  It will be one way I can keep him extra cool- he already is panting more on our regular runs.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
How old is he?  It could be demodectic mange if it is a younger dog or possibly a flea allergy besides the food allergy.  I also have a male boxer who has on and off again cases of the hives.  I recently started him on coconut oil and I think it is really helping.  It is quite possible mine had a case of candida.  Hope you find out whats going on with your soon.  It sometimes takes alot of trial and error and a vet check doesn't hurt.

Nano

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charlie doesn't get hives, I do.  I'm allergic to dogs, especially one's with longer or course hair.  All that he has is the a bit of flakes from time to time and shedding.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
We use a food additive oil.  I don't have any right now and can't think of what it's called.  It comes in a brown bottle, it is carob flavored, it is for skin and coat.  It makes my pup shiny, less shedding, and no more flaky skin.  You can get it at PetsMart, PetCo and Tractor Supply Co.  It's cheaper at Tractor Supply.  I think 8-in-1 makes it.
Good luck.
Z

1 - 11 of 11 Posts