Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7mo old pup seems to be shedding alot more during these colder months.  Is this normal and what can I do to combat it?  I brush him about 3 times a week and bathe him on a needed bases, which averages out to every 2 months.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
mine has been sheding alot too...but no one seems to be able to tell me why or what I can do...who's got all the answers or perhaps even a
few suggestions?!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It could be any number of things...Certain foods will make them shed..A good thing to use to brush them is a Zoom Groom by Kong, or a Furminator, those are suposed to be very good at removing hair

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think it has to do with the cooler weather/change in weather and temp changes drying the skin out.  Yep, it can be the food too....The furminator works great and since I started doing a raw egg twice a week we have hardly any shedding!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
a raw egg mixed with their food?
is that something that you have to consistenly do? or just for a little while?
in regards to kibble is there certain ingredients to look for that might prove beneficial?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
smack83\";p=\"71276 said:
a raw egg mixed with their food?
is that something that you have to consistenly do? or just for a little while?
in regards to kibble is there certain ingredients to look for that might prove beneficial?
Yes a raw egg mixed with her kibble.  Some people scramble it and others give them the whole egg since it is okay for them to eat the shell.  Fiona just does not like the shell.  I do it all the time because it helps her coat, it is good for her and she loves it... You could try it for a while and see if it helps and then stop and see if the shedding comes back...
In regard to the food a good quality food is most important but there are things that the dog may not do well with or could even be allergic to and those things can be corn, beef, chicken (meats)...It just all depends there....But, if you have no other issues then shedding I tend to think you do not have a food allergy.  You can also add salmon oil or fish oil tablets....

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Also you can add some Salmon Oil or fish oil to the diet.  I give mine 2 caps twice a day in the winter to help their haircoats and dry skin.  You might want to start with one twice a day.

Nano

1 - 9 of 9 Posts