Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 1 yr old boxer Gino is shedding like crazy.  We bath him about once every month and a half with his oatmeal shampoo.  We feed him Blue Buffalo dog food which he really seems to like.  We brush him on a daily basis or at the very least every other day.  The amout of hair coming off of him is crazy.  It comes off in bunches when we brush him and it's all over his blankets and obviuosly our floor.  Our first thought was that he's dry due to the weather.  Our place has the forced air and is very dry during these few months.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Any reccomendations on the best grooming brush?  Also, what can we put on him or in his food to help this?

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
also you should not bath a boxer once a month, this is way too much.  Boxers have oils in thier coat and this is needed to maintain a soft shiny coat.  You should only bath maybe 2 times a year and in between if they get into mud or something.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unfortunately this is one of those topics(bathing) where you get 100 different opinions.  The breeder told us once a month is a good amount.  Our vet said every few weeks if we really wanted.  Our other boxer owner friends in the area also bathe every 50 days or so.  So at this point my main question is the shedding and what we can put in his food as an additive.

Thanks

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I feed my dogs raw, bathe like 3 times a year, add fish oils whatnot - they still shed - Best thing IMO to do is brush them daily with a curry brush (used for horses).
At least its not like Husky Fur - Man o Man - I will take somewhat shedding than that stuff -  Also the excess bathing will only dry out the skin causing more shedding.     Add in some fish oils, omega 3&6 and see if that helps a bit.  

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
my girls sheds like crazy at times too. I have a curry bush like hannabanana mention and it works great...and its very inexpensive. You boxer is around a year old and when my girl was at that age (15 months now) I noticed she shed more then and I was told it was because she was losing her puppy coat. Now I notice it isn't as bad as it was and that its grown in a little longer and thicker than before. Also the change into winter and then into summer seemed to bring more sheding as well...from my experience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My point IS bathing if you do it too often the fur and skin get real dry and results in EXCESS SHEDDING, but if you believe it is something you need to add to food then I cant help you.  good luck

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
BOXERBOYS\";p=\"75701 said:
I also use this brush on Fiona and it works well....It sounds like you are doing well on the food.  You will get alot of options on the bath....But, I do one about every 2 to 3 months because that is when Fiona starts to smell doggy....HannaB had some great options and I also can say that since I started feeding Fiona a raw egg twice a week it cut down on the shed alot but there is still some....It was getting really bad though before the egg.....

G

·
0 Posts
Bo shed a lot after we first got him, right at the season change...Jetta is just starting to shed a bit, i think she's losing puppy fur...I use the furminator...works well...and i bathe about every month...allergy issue here, but suplement with an occasional raw egg and haven't had any dry skin excess shedding issues

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah has only shed once really bad, think it was the combination of allergy to food and seasonal shed.  Right now with the winter her coat is pretty heavy and expect her to start shedding really bad in a month or so.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I also give a couple raw eggs a week...I noticed a big difference especially in my lab mix....she sheds like crazy and when I give her eggs its not as bad.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts