Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: What a terrifying evening.

Last night we took the dogs out for their evening run. We noticed Lexi pooped right away. Then a few minutes later pooped again. Then again. Then again. It was dark, so I couldn't tell if anything was coming out. I walked over to her while she was trying to go and noticed she was straining really had and nothing was coming out. I turned my phone on and looked at the ground and noticed there were blood droplets - uh oh - so we left for home immediately.

I knew this wasn't normal and planned on calling the Evet as soon as we got home. Well, when we got into the house I noticed that her bum was covered in blood, it was dripping from her rectum - I flipped out. I know I should have stayed calm, but I was bawling my eyes out. I called the Evet, and she said to bring her in immediately.

*Lexi is acting completely normal - eating normal, urinating, zoomies all over the place, playing like usual. Nothing abnormal, except a bloody rectum. I even gave her a bath earlier in the day and noticed nothing out of the ordinary going on in her back end.*

Our vet (who adores Lexi, and knows her and us very well) did an external and internal exam (Lexi's eye's bugged right out of her head when a digital exam was preformed). GOOD NEWS: She is NOT internally bleeding - phew! It's coming from the outer part of her rectum. BAD NEWS: The vet has NO idea why this is happening. We were there for about an hour. She gave us a cream to put on her rectum to help with the swelling, rawness and inflammation. Told us to call her in the morning for sure, but call anytime throughout the night if we need to, especially if her rectum prolapses (because she is straining so hard).

I slept with her on the couch all night. In the morning I took her out to go to the bathroom, she had a good solid poop, but then tried again right after and it was runny and she was straining again. Put the cream on her and then I called the vet. She wanted us to bring her back in this afternoon so the other vet (who has more experience) can give us a second opinion. Her rectum looked better this morning then last night, but was still inflamed and raw.

We took her to the vet at 2, and things looked better. The older vet looked at her and the first thing he said was 'wow, that's a bad case of hemorrhoids'. He thinks things are irritated because of her allergies. SO, back to the allergy drawing board. He wants us to put her on a vegetarian diet for 6 weeks, then introduce one protein at a time.

He doesn't seem too worried, but I still am. I do everything as holistic and as 'right' as I possibly can with the resources we have up here, but it's not enough.

She went from:
TOTW - Sierra Mountain, 5 Star dog food.
to
Orijin - Regional Red, 6/5 Star dog food.
to
Royal Canin - Vegetarian Formula, 1 star dog food.

I am worried - it's very low in protein and fat. She is already so slim to begin with.

I am just lost. I don't think this diet is forever, we just have to figure out what protein she's allergic to .. if that's even what she's allergic to.

Anyone been through this? Anyone fed their boxers Royal Canin/Medical? Anyone's boxers have hemorrhoids?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
That is so scary. I would have freaked too.
Hopefully she's not allergic to the ingredients in the prescription food. I wouldn't worry about feeding it (even though it's not something you would normally choose). Sometimes you have to feed a certain food until you can find a solution/resolution to a problem. Mongo has been on prescription foods twice (once as a puppy recovering from parvo, and the other time after surgery for ingesting a foreign object) Not foods I would choose, but they were easy on the digestive tract and necessary for him to heal.
Hopefully this food trial will finally help you figure out what Lexi can't have.
Poor little baby ! Smooches to her :):)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is so scary. I would have freaked too.
Hopefully she's not allergic to the ingredients in the prescription food. I wouldn't worry about feeding it (even though it's not something you would normally choose). Sometimes you have to feed a certain food until you can find a solution/resolution to a problem. Mongo has been on prescription foods twice (once as a puppy recovering from parvo, and the other time after surgery for ingesting a foreign object) Not foods I would choose, but they were easy on the digestive tract and necessary for him to heal.
Hopefully this food trial will finally help you figure out what Lexi can't have.
Poor little baby ! Smooches to her :):)
Thanks Lynne!
I hope, like you said, that the prescription food will help us figure everything out. I worry about her so much.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Yeah,Valant had a tiny bit of blood in his poop but raw feeding took care of that...took a while though.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah,Valant had a tiny bit of blood in his poop but raw feeding took care of that...took a while though.
It's a frightening thing - blood in the poop. Glad it got all cleared up for Valant, hope the same happens for Lex.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Oh honey...I would have lost it also! Hope Lexi gets to feeling better soon!

·
Registered
118 Posts
OMG- how scary! So sorry but glad it was internal bleeding. I'll be keeping you both in mind!

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
OMG Katie!!! I would have been bawling too, thank goodness you have a vet who knows you & Lexi so well, and who cares! I've never heard of it either, and I can't even imagine how scary it was too see her dripping blood like that. I'm doing a whole bunch of research on RAW myself and planning on making the switch very soon for Dodger's sensitive system. I could ask the people on that other forum if they've ever heard of anything like this if you'd like me to.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG- how scary! So sorry but glad it was internal bleeding. I'll be keeping you both in mind!
Thanks! Yes, it was really scary. I worry about her so much.

OMG Katie!!! I would have been bawling too, thank goodness you have a vet who knows you & Lexi so well, and who cares! I've never heard of it either, and I can't even imagine how scary it was too see her dripping blood like that. I'm doing a whole bunch of research on RAW myself and planning on making the switch very soon for Dodger's sensitive system. I could ask the people on that other forum if they've ever heard of anything like this if you'd like me to.
Yes, ask anyone you can about it Keila. I would appreciate it very much. I am glad that everything was taken care of quickly, I am not too happy about the food she will be eating, but it's only temporary. I just worry so much.

Oh honey...I would have lost it also! Hope Lexi gets to feeling better soon!
Thanks! I sure hope she's feeling better soon too!

Poor Baby, hope she feels better soon.
Thanks, she seems to be better today .. So, here's hoping!

I know. That's what I said.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
She seems to be feeling better today. Her rectum is still a bit swollen, but nothing like it was so the medication must be helping.

Thanks for all the positive thoughts and comments!

·
Registered
186 Posts

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for Asking Lynne!

She is doing better, but the hemroids are still visible. They seem to be smaller today, then yesterday. It will be a week as of tomorrow that she's been on the topical cream that were supposed to get rid of them. Our vet called us on Saturday to check in, and said to bring her back this week if she still has them. She's not bleeding at all and has been leaving her bum alone - except when I put the cream on it, then she's trying to lick it off.

The issue I have as of right now is the medical food she is on. They have her on a vegetarian diet to try to determine what protein she is allergic to. She ate it well for 5 days. Then yesterday she decided she didn't want to eat at all. I could tell she was hungry (walking around smelling, trying to eat any crumb possible and continually going to her bowl) but wouldn't eat and her bowl was full. She finally ate dinner when I added a bit of yogurt to it. This am she wouldn't eat again, so I added a very small amount of peanut butter to water and then poured it on her food and she ate it.

I don't want her to get used to eating kibble only if there is only something on it. She would eat the TOTW and Orijen without anything on it, but won't eat the medical. But, her allergies have been in check (paws looking better, her skin is not as itchy) and she is having small, solid poop - which is good. She won't eat it, but it's doing her system well - from what we can 'see'.

I don't know what to do. Do I just leave a bowl of medical out, and when she's hungry enough she'll eat? Do I try another kibble and risk her allergies flaring up again? Do I just scrap everything and go straight to RAW?

I think I need to talk to my vet about things. I am worried that my vet isn't going to support our idea of going RAW either.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
Have you tried just putting some warm water on it? Kind of make it a soup? If it is vegetarian it probably doesn't have a lot of oil and that probably is what gives most kibble any "flavor."

Hope things improve!

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Personally even though you are not happy with the food, I would keep her on it at least for a few more weeks.
1. If her allergies remain clear, you will know it is a protein.
2. It will give you more time to figure out what you want to do next. Whether you try a different kibble or go raw.

If you do need to add a little something extra to entice her to eat - stick to one thing only (maybe the yogurt). If you keep switching what you add and she has a reaction, you won't know from what?

In the mean time, I would make a spreadsheet of all the ingredients in all the foods you have fed her and look for common ingredients across the board. That might help you narrow things down.

:)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts