Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't know what I'm going to do with this pup...

I feed her 2-3 times a day...and usually in the morning she will not eat...and in the evening she won't eat...and when she does eat, she doesn't eat much...for a couple weeks there she was eating really really well..now she is being difficult again...to get her to eat I have to sit there right next to her and keep reminding her the food is there.  Bo eats his food no problem...She will eat if we add egg...but we don't want to give her a crutch her whole life...any suggestions?  Should I just put it down and if she doesn't eat pick it up until she does eat...but then..she is starting to get skinny again and I don't want her hips and stuff showing again...sigh...I swear that I have an anorexic dog...

·
Registered
610 Posts
Koa is kinda the same way.  He's been really finicky about eating.  We have him on Chicken Soup.  I give him a little bit of yogurt and pumpkin but still leaves his food sometimes.  He will, however, eat everthing if I add egg.  I don't want it to be a crutch either though.  I finally broke down and bought some Merrick wilderness blend and started the switch.  He finished all of his food at dinner time.  Hopefully, he's gonna take to the Merrick better than Chicken Soup.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Our Teaki did that for a long time....she only ate enough to survive on for almost 5 years.  It took us several different tries with different foods (at least 10 different brands....from high to low end) before we finally found one that she would eat and has for over a year...she loves it and keeps it down.  You may have to keep trying to see if there is one that she really likes.  I know that our pet store let us bring back some of the foods because she wouldn't eat them and either gave a credit or refund.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lola is not food driven at all.  I've tried a half dozen dog foods and she eats them all about the same.  There might be an increase the first few days, perhaps she's really interested in the new food, but then she goes back to her old ways.  Not eating breakfast one day, no lunch the next day, eat good the third day, no dinner the fourth day, etc...  She just isn't a big eater.  I don't let it bother me, she's not going to starve herself.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I found with Angel when she had been here for a couple months, it was almost like she was getting bored with food, especially in the morning. So I was getting ready to switch foods anyways, but I started switching up different things to add to their food. Banana one time, apple the next, green beans next, then carrots, yogurt, eggs and sardines...She loves the Chicken Soup and whatever I add is just a bonus, but the variety may help get Jetta to eat more....

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well..for the time being adding 1/2 a cup of warm water to 1.25 cups of food seems to do the trick..she has eaten 2.5 cups of food in two meals today, and ate 2.5 cups of food yesterday( after final meal with water)...let's hope this will do the trick.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well..for the time being adding 1/2 a cup of warm water to 1.25 cups of food seems to do the trick..she has eaten 2.5 cups of food in two meals today, and ate 2.5 cups of food yesterday( after final meal with water)...let's hope this will do the trick.  Right now we can't really afford food additives other than an egg here and there and the pumpkin we bought...so this has to work for now...I'm sure she won't starve herself...i hope, lol

·
Registered
780 Posts
We also add a little warm water to the food and mix it up for a little "gavy"!  We do it mainly for Ziggi who has a harder time swallowing, the water on the food makes it easier for him.  We have to add it to Teaki's food too to make it even for both!  :D

You might also try plain real chicken broth...the kind without added salt and flavorings (not the boullion cube type).  We did that for Teaki before we found the food she is eating now and it helped a little and wasn't too expensive because it only took a couple of T. each time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am having the same problem with Delila, she is a terrible eater. I add warm water, pumpkin, canned dog food, yogurt, you name it to her kibble. I can only get 2 cups of food in her a day. The other problem I have is that Ekim is on a diet so if she doesn't finish her food in 15 minutes or so, he tries to eat what is left in her bowl. I have to stand guard over them at meal time.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I am having the same problem with Delila, she is a terrible eater. I add warm water, pumpkin, canned dog food, yogurt, you name it to her kibble. I can only get 2 cups of food in her a day. The other problem I have is that Ekim is on a diet so if she doesn't finish her food in 15 minutes or so, he tries to eat what is left in her bowl. I have to stand guard over them at meal time.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I have to feed Kane and Sophie in different rooms or they eat each other's food and it's hard to see who is getting what.  Kane is a really good eater and now Sophie is, but she was terrible until she was about 13 or 14 weeks old.  She really likes her food now and eats it right away.  I guess they all go through growth spurts from time to time and teething can also affect how they eat.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
From Maverick i tend to think that they have spurts as Kate said or moments where they really love food and other moments where something else is more important. We give Maverick his time to eat and if he doesnt eat then he can wait until his next meal and then he will usually eat all of it. Sometimes he just isnt interested but we are trying Canidae right now with him and he is eating that well.

I also think that maybe they get bored with food so once he is aclimated to the new food I will be taking willows advice and adding bonuses to his food such as sardines.

·
Registered
253 Posts
feed her 1 chicken back 1 cup of gizzards mixed with diced lettuce,apples, and carrots and sometimes raw egg and shell eat every time. my dog was 38 pounds 2 weeks ago all ribs visible now 2 weeks later 43 pounds and no ribs visible and hes 5.5 months old

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She's been eating very well lately...we added the water...and now even without she'll eat...I think it has something to do with making sure Bo doesn't get her food...but...I do have to sit next to her and coax her to start eating..then I walk away and she's fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts