Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious if anyone has had their ~8 week old pup shipped to them from the breeder? If so, please share your story.

Also after seeing the "where did you get your boxer from" thread, I thought it would be interesting if people shared how far away your boxer was?

·
Registered
580 Posts
our next puppy will be coming from texas, we are in canada (a reputable breeder this time!) but I will be flying down and picking him up and he will fly in the cabin wayy too nervous to ship a puppy on their own

·
Registered
226 Posts
We didn't have to have him shipped. Harvey came from Vancouver Island(about 3 hours including a ferry ride), delivered by the breeder 8 hours after we got back from vacation. It was definitely the best way to end the vacation!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
our next puppy will be coming from texas, we are in canada (a reputable breeder this time!) but I will be flying down and picking him up and he will fly in the cabin wayy too nervous to ship a puppy on their own
Yes I would be very nervous about shipping on their own. The reason I ask is that we plan to add another boxer to the family about 10 months from now (we are planners lol so we started looking a bit early :clap:) so I have been looking at different breeders and talking with them but I'm not sure about long distances yet. We were going to drive ~4.5 hours to pick up Sid but the breeder met us halfway. We like the breeder we got Sid from so still haven't decided if we want to look elsewhere or wait for her next litter. I would love to find a breeder who feed raw.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I live in New Hampshire and had Logan and Abby both flown in from Arizona. It's definitely not an ideal way to get them home, but they both did fine. Poor Logan's flight was delayed due to high winds on one of the legs. He was just over 8 weeks old at the time. He adjusted very well. Abby's flight was on time. She was 4 months old. She was a very shy girl when we got her home, but with some time she opened up just fine. I think with her being older it probably effected her more than it did Logan, but neither one had any problems adjusting. :)

If you're interested, here are a few links to my threads as they made their journeys. :)

Logan's

http://www.boxerforums.com/puppies-eggheads-fur-babies/61212-logans-first-day.html

Abby's

http://www.boxerforums.com/general-boxer-forum/65665-mason-logan-puppy-makes-three.html

http://www.boxerforums.com/general-boxer-forum/65819-abby-home.html

·
Registered
580 Posts
Yes I would be very nervous about shipping on their own. The reason I ask is that we plan to add another boxer to the family about 10 months from now (we are planners lol so we started looking a bit early :clap:) so I have been looking at different breeders and talking with them but I'm not sure about long distances yet. We were going to drive ~4.5 hours to pick up Sid but the breeder met us halfway. We like the breeder we got Sid from so still haven't decided if we want to look elsewhere or wait for her next litter. I would love to find a breeder who feed raw.
haha I understand the planners part!!, we are on the wait list for a puppy in 2 years!! haha but I knew what I wanted and when I wanted it so we began the search super early so I would find exactly what we are looking for! good luck with your search! and let us know how it goes

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those who got their boxers from a far away (in a magical land far far away… sorry I couldn't resist lol) breeder, how did you find this breeder? I wouldn't know where to start. When we got Sid we looked for the best breeder we could find in our state and neighboring states within a day's driving distance.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I'm in new york. We got fiona from ohio. 11 hour drive each way. We were recommended to the breeder by jimmy on this forum. He got his girls frim her. Long drive but worth the trip....except when she is bad and I sing "going back to Ohio" ala chrissy hines.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I'm in new york. We got fiona from ohio. 11 hour drive each way. We were recommended to the breeder by jimmy on this forum. He got his girls frim her. Long drive but worth the trip....except when she is bad and I sing "going back to Ohio" ala chrissy hines.
LMFAO!!!! I always say to the girls when they're being awnery and especially Bella when she barks at me to get off the couch and play- I tell her in a very stern voice -I DONT WANT YOU ANYMORE ! IM GONNA SEND YOU BACK TO SANDI AND CHRIS IN OHIO!! They get pissed and growl and tug on my long sleeves or any part of my clothes they can grab lol.

Then I say oh I just kid you I want you I love you and then it's all hugs and kisses with a side of wiggle butts.

Here's how I found my breeder mad:

Links - American Boxer Breeders

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
For those who got their boxers from a far away (in a magical land far far away… sorry I couldn't resist lol) breeder, how did you find this breeder? I wouldn't know where to start. When we got Sid we looked for the best breeder we could find in our state and neighboring states within a day's driving distance.
Honestly, when I started my search I just google'd boxer breeders who health test and I sent them all emails to see if they had puppies available or if they were going to in the near future. Most of them didn't, some did, others redirected me to other breeders. In my email I also several questions regarding their lines and what types of health testing they did. If I liked their answers we started going back and forth questioning each other. Some breeders seemed to dodge the health testing questions so I skipped over them assuming they didn't do any. That was one condition I would not budge on.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
I have purchased dogs from Hungary, Holland, Serbia and Germany. Both as adults and as puppies. They travel perfectly well.

I have shipped puppies all over Canada, including Alberta, ,saskatchewan, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. These are flights of 4 hrs or less. We always prepare our puppies for shipping by getting them use to their crates a couple weeks before they fly out. We also only fly on direct flights that are temperature controlled.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I got my puppy from Kacos In Ontario to Alberta at 8 weeks, she Flew alone we picked her up at the airport live cargo after a 4hr flight... She arrived Stress Free and very happy to see us. You just need to trust the breeder which isn't hard if there reputable and willing to help you to!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I would be super worried too. Especially after hearing the recent horror stories of dogs in flight. And would do the same. Where you getting him from? If you're flying to Houston you can come see me :D lol

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
212 Posts
There's also the new gal in NZ who had her rescue shipped to her. Turned out ok from the sounds of it.

but why so young? Isn't 10 to 12 weeks better for the pup as far as staying with the litter, learning proper behaviors, and all that? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Numa was shipped in a climate controlled cargo area with lufthansa airlines. She started her journey in Frankfort Germany and landed in Chicago, Illinois. We had to drive 3 hours to get to her, but in my mind that was far better than her switching flights. She was on the plane for about 9 hours. Total trip time was close to 12 hours. I was on pins and needles the entire time. But she made it safely. A little smelly and a little scared at first. But she warmed up to us quickly.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Numa was shipped in a climate controlled cargo area with lufthansa airlines. She started her journey in Frankfort Germany and landed in Chicago, Illinois. We had to drive 3 hours to get to her, but in my mind that was far better than her switching flights. She was on the plane for about 9 hours. Total trip time was close to 12 hours. I was on pins and needles the entire time. But she made it safely. A little smelly and a little scared at first. But she warmed up to us quickly.
Our pup also came VERY smelly but I was prepared with warm water and lots of towels. She had her first rinse off in the parking lot of Lufthansa. Can't expect a 9 week old pup to hold their bladder or bowels for 12 hrs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts