Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help! Any advice & opinions appreciated. My pup just turned 1 yr old. I have been feeding her BW Grain Free Large Breed Puppy Chicken Recipe. Adding Salmon, steak, chicken, blue berries and other known good foods to meals. I have just recently from this Forum started hearing about DCM. I went to the FDA site about "Potential link between certain diets and DCM" suggested from another post. To my SHOCK Blue wilderness was listed. Now I am freaking out thinking all this time I'm feeding her good food. Should I immediately switch as its time to order more food. Why is grain free bad? Is it because of peas and legumes? Start adding sardines? Which foods have the lowest association of DCM? I need help or advice as there are so many food Brands w/choices. Side note...She does get lots of treats added to her diet as she is with me 24/7 and we are very active. Marrow bones, sweet potato, blue berries pumpkin, chicken etc. (nothing from China). I need help from the Boxer community. Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I need help! Any advice & opinions appreciated. My pup just turned 1 yr old. I have been feeding her BW Grain Free Large Breed Puppy Chicken Recipe. Adding Salmon, steak, chicken, blue berries and other known good foods to meals. I have just recently from this Forum started hearing about DCM. I went to the FDA site about "Potential link between certain diets and DCM" suggested from another post. To my SHOCK Blue wilderness was listed. Now I am freaking out thinking all this time I'm feeding her good food. Should I immediately switch as its time to order more food. Why is grain free bad? Is it because of peas and legumes? Start adding sardines? Which foods have the lowest association of DCM? I need help or advice as there are so many food Brands w/choices. Side note...She does get lots of treats added to her diet as she is with me 24/7 and we are very active. Marrow bones, sweet potato, blue berries pumpkin, chicken etc. (nothing from China). I need help from the Boxer community. Thank you!
This article lists the dog food they consider safe as to DCM. I personally think Farmina is the best...

I think it's better to switch to a safer recipe...

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
👍 I ordered a bag to start blending in with her BW food. Thank you. Your opinion has settled my reservations some what. Cross my fingers she likes it.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
The FDA lists dog foods that have been tested so any that are not listed haven't been tested yet. I would suggest not getting any food that has peas or lentils or potatoes in the first 10 ingredients. High protein can be hard on a dogs kidneys as well so unless your dog is super active working dog I don't think its recommended. Your Vet would have the best suggestion on what food to use they will generally recommend foods with a long established reputation for safety. The bigger companies have tested their products and you can find information about how many recalls the food company had had and what kinds of problems have been encountered. I am staying with Purina my dogs are doing very well on it and it has been recommended to me by at least two Vets I trust. I do not ever buy anything off for feeding of my dogs off of Amazon. My two dogs that died from DCM one was on one of the listed foods for 4 years before she showed up with DCM so I think as long as you change its probably ok but if you are worried maybe schedule a echo cardiogram for her. My other dog I lost to it was only 3 and he had been on it for his whole life short as it was. I will never use grain free again even if they find out what is the problem there with it (they still don't know for sure)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The FDA lists dog foods that have been tested so any that are not listed haven't been tested yet. I would suggest not getting any food that has peas or lentils or potatoes in the first 10 ingredients. High protein can be hard on a dogs kidneys as well so unless your dog is super active working dog I don't think its recommended. Your Vet would have the best suggestion on what food to use they will generally recommend foods with a long established reputation for safety. The bigger companies have tested their products and you can find information about how many recalls the food company had had and what kinds of problems have been encountered. I am staying with Purina my dogs are doing very well on it and it has been recommended to me by at least two Vets I trust. I do not ever buy anything off for feeding of my dogs off of Amazon. My two dogs that died from DCM one was on one of the listed foods for 4 years before she showed up with DCM so I think as long as you change its probably ok but if you are worried maybe schedule a echo cardiogram for her. My other dog I lost to it was only 3 and he had been on it for his whole life short as it was. I will never use grain free again even if they find out what is the problem there with it (they still don't know for sure)
Thank you so much for your feedback. Good to know Amazon brand hasn't been tested yet. I had no reason to worry until recently. I am thinking now of having her heart checked. I thought boxers need high protein? And my pup is VERY active. She's with me 24/7 and we Rock Climb, boat, hike, bike trails, park everyday, and she just passed her all her distraction training. What kind of Purina do you use? I have seen others recommend it. Thnks again for your feedback.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why does everything have to be so difficult!? I feel your pain for sure. I did feed my last boy Blue Buffalo for years and he lived to be 14 and 1/2 years old. Nowadays with my 2, 13 month olds, I was using Royal Canin but one was having issues. I've started him on a homemade diet and he's doing so much better. I'm a little bit worried though because the recipe does have potatoes in it. I always find something to worry about! I have appointment with a Nutritionist in a couple of weeks so I'll report back what he says. I have however already emailed him what I'm feeding and he told me to continue. It includes ground turkey, potatoes, oatmeal, kidney beans, lima beans, green beans, tomatoes, spinach, carrots, broccoli or cauliflower, oil, garlic and water. He was vomiting after every meal and now is not. Good luck, I hope you find a great food for your active friend!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please let me know what the Nutritionist says. Food is a big issue for me. My pup eats a lot. 2-3 X more than the avg. boxer her age and size. . At one point I took her to the Vet because she was so skinny. Full workup.100% healthy, just super active. Never discussed the possible of heart implications associated with foods now. I thought I was doing good adding mostly large helpings of salmon and chicken with her dinner. Cooking on high heat then adding water to sizzle into a nice gravy. Tossed with frozen blue berries. Plus all variety of the Non China made treats she gets daily as well as raw marrow bones and beef knuckles regularly. I figured her dry kibble was sufficient and everything else was just gravy on top. Interested in what you find out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Why does everything have to be so difficult!? I feel your pain for sure. I did feed my last boy Blue Buffalo for years and he lived to be 14 and 1/2 years old.
I agree...I fed my Peke grain free "Simply Nourish Source" kibble...potatoes and peas are the 4th and 5th ingredients in the chicken recipe. She lived a very long healthy life (not a single visit to the vet except for vaccination)...she died of old age...she was 15 years old.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Please let me know what the Nutritionist says. Food is a big issue for me. My pup eats a lot. 2-3 X more than the avg. boxer her age and size. . At one point I took her to the Vet because she was so skinny. Full workup.100% healthy, just super active. Never discussed the possible of heart implications associated with foods now. I thought I was doing good adding mostly large helpings of salmon and chicken with her dinner. Cooking on high heat then adding water to sizzle into a nice gravy. Tossed with frozen blue berries. Plus all variety of the Non China made treats she gets daily as well as raw marrow bones and beef knuckles regularly. I figured her dry kibble was sufficient and everything else was just gravy on top. Interested in what you find out.
Definitely will share what he says!

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
There are a lot of Vets and breeders who personally use or recommend Purina products they have a full line of kibbles to chose from they have a long reputation for safety as well. After going thru the crap with DCM I am just not interested in taking any chances. I use Purina one healthy weight for my female she has a tendency to gain weight easily and its keeping her just right and my male has digestive issues so I use Purina one digestive care with chicken he has done well with that so far ( had a little upset this morning though) I cook fat free ground turkey and mix with their dry food I just cook up one of those big packs of it divide it and keep in the freezer till I need it seems to work well for them both.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you. I have been doing more research on Purina. Unfortunately the Amazon brand food was delivered to the wrong address so I had to buy a small bag of BW until I can transition and I felt guilty buying it. I might choose Purina over the Amazon brand though after similar opinions as yours. I had assumed that Purina was on the lower quality of foods. Never would of thought it would be easier to feed my 2 yr old twins than my dog lol.

·
Registered
45 Posts
This article lists the dog food they consider safe as to DCM. I personally think Farmina is the best...

I think it's better to switch to a safer recipe...
I am having issues with my boxer and itchy skin. Still trying to rule out food vs. environment. Farmina was mentioned to me by an acquaintance. I see that you mentioned that brand of food. Could you give me some information on it, and why you chose it?? She stands firmly with that brand. I am getting desperate. So many foods are on the list for DCM, its eye crossing!!!
Thank you ,
Carol Ann

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
OK first to find out "Dog Food," stuff go here.:

And second what is going on with some, if not most of the "Grain Free Food's," is that they interfere, with a "Dog's ability to synthesize, Taurine, from there food? Taurine is an essential mineral for heart health. Cat food has "Taurine in it because Cat's can't "synthesize," Taurine from "kibble?"

But dog's could ... until "Grain Free, came along!?" But the solution is actually pretty simple. If your gonna feed your dog "Grain Free," which I won't because I am pretty sure it cause me my GSD because I switched to it for itching!

But if you do feed Grain Free? Then also add "Sardines Packed in Water," to there food! A "crap load of Taurine," in every can, problem solved! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
OK first to find out "Dog Food," stuff go here.:

And second what is going on with some, if not most of the "Grain Free Food's," is that they interfere, with a "Dog's ability to synthesize, Taurine, from there food? Taurine is an essential mineral for heart health. Cat food has "Taurine in it because Cat's can't "synthesize," Taurine from "kibble?"

But dog's could ... until "Grain Free, came along!?" But the solution is actually pretty simple. If your gonna feed your dog "Grain Free," which I won't because I am pretty sure it cause me my GSD because I switched to it for itching!

But if you do feed Grain Free? Then also add "Sardines Packed in Water," to there food! A "crap load of Taurine," in every can, problem solved! :)
Thank you for your post. I do not plan on giving grain free at all. So I guess I am asking for some suggestions as far as good food, that would help with itchy skin, and chicken/ beef free.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
Aww I am sorry, I only have "part of the answer,"as regards the "itchy thing?" I had always had short haired dog's ... until I got my first German Shepard and his itchy skin issues were seriously "Bad!" He was a "Black Dog, and his flesh was normally "Grey" but one year he was really itchy and his flesh was blood red?

And Long Story short, yes the "Grain Free," stopped the itchy skin! But it was also "Killing him," in such a "subtle way?" That it was hard to understand? And yes the "Grain Free," stopped the itchy? But in retrospect after a while he "started tp pant, a lot??"

Not enough that I felt something was off, but yeah something was off? SIgh whatever, in retrospect, I know? Now had I done Grain Free and supplemented it with "Sardines?" I feel he would have been OK? My Boxer Struddell, never had issues, so I never screwed with her food. Sigh another "Boxer," issue claimed her ....

But before "Rocky," I always fed "Costco Regular Kibble and I would supplement it with Canned and I never had a issue? But "rocky GSD (Germanshepard Dog) was my first long haired dog, so this must be normal?

Sigh ... whatever but I for one ... will never feed another dog I own, any "Grain Free Dog Food!" You solve one issue and cause another? Maybe Sardines would have saved him anyway? But I did not know that at the time? :(

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
There are vet recommended diets out there that address the itchy skin issue so ask your vet they will probably have a good suggestion. Could be a lot of things making her itch from allergies to dry skin etc. As for the taurine thing there were a large number of dogs dying of DCM on post Mortum they had sufficient levels of taurine in their systems. I no longer trust the pet food industry and as far as I’m concerned the FDA has not protected us or our pets. The best thing you can do is listen to your Vet on this i am pretty sure they are not going to recommend grain free and they are familiar with your dog. Also sticking with a company that has been in business a long time with proven safety records few recalls.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts