Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at the meetup one of the girls said that she had just been to the vet to get her two dogs their shot because they were swimming in ponds and streams.  She had remembered that the vet had asked her if the dogs were swimming in streams and at the time they weren't so she said no.  He said he recommended they get this shot if they did.  She couldn't remember the name of the shot, she thought it started with an L.

Does anyone know about this shot and should I get Kiah one.  The stream was pretty clear until the dogs got it muddy.  I sure don't want Kiah to get sick on me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
:D I'm in France so i don't know about the English name for it but my dog gets a shot to protect against 'Leptospirose' ('Leptospirosis' maybe in english???). It's a kind of bacteria thet rodents have and they can pass on to humans and some animals. It might be this one because you tend to get water rats and other types of rodents in ponds etc?????
The product the vet injects is 'Lepto ci' made by Pfizer.....maybe i've helped maybe i haven't :?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Chloe gets vaccinated for Lepto..Her vet said we should since we live in the woods and have tons of little critters around.
Ditto - I also live in a wooded area and i have a pond where Voltaire loves to go and cool off - so better to be safe and have the jab. :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info, I plan on calling the vet and making an appointment.  My sister will be getting one for her English Springer Spaniel; they live in the country and have several ponds he goes into.

·
Registered
508 Posts
So would you recommend me getting Zeus and Dante a Lepto shot since we go to the lake or dont worry about it. Only thing I have been worried about is them swallowing the water from when they go fetch and taking in gas or oil. :(

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I recommend that all dogs be vaccinated for it.  It does depend on the level of outdoor activity and where you live and to  booster each year, since it is not found to stay in the system for as long as other vaccinations. We give the Lepto vaccination here to all puppies at or around 13 weeks or at the time they get the rabies vaccination. The Lepto virus bacteria is spread into water and the ground by urination of an infected animal, mostly rodents. It can stay there for a long time.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Lepto is not considered a core vaccine by the AAHA - which means it is not necessary for all dogs.  It also has a high rate of adverse reactions, so most vets in non-risk areas avoid it completely.

Before deciding on the vaccine, you want to find out whether Lepto is a problem in your area, and if so which serovars are currently causing disease.  (There are different vaccines for different serovars; the vaccine for L. pomona will not protect your dog from L. canicola, unless the two are in a combo vaccine.  You just want to be sure that the serovar (if any) causing problems in your area is included in the vaccine.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts