Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious has anybody gave there boxers or any other type of dog their shots instead of taking them to the vet. Just wanting input on this. Thanks

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
No never have, always have taken my dogs to the vet.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I've given my dogs their parvo shots ( the 7 in 1).  With Bo I am going to the vet though.  The shots just go right below the skin.  The best thing to do (IMO.. I'm not a vet, just a people nurse) is pinch the skin on the scruff of their neck and inject the med into the space between the skin and the muscle.  (That's how I've done it)  You have to pull back and make sure you don't get blood return.  I feel more comfortable going to the vet though.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There are people who give their own shots and I dont feel there is anything wrong with it as long you are getting your shots from a place you can trust (make sure they are not expired and trust that they have been kept refrigerated).  RainBosmom explained how to give them, with the exception they can also be given on the hip (under the skin). The clinic I am at sells/dispenses DHLPP and DHPP vaccines over the counter because we are in an area that people have alot of hunting dogs and it is hard for them to bring in 20 or 30 dogs at a time for shots.

If you decide to vaccinate at home then ask for extra needles.  Sometimes not changing the needles before vaccination will cause a burr on the needle and lead to a lump at the vaccination site. You also have to be careful to watch for vaccine reactions.

I am all for people bringing their dogs in for shots, just the advantage that they can check for worms, they can check the dog itself to determine and see situations that may not be seen by just looking at the dog, feel for growths, check the heart and lungs, the eyes, ears and proper gum and teeth growth and placement.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ditto what Sharon said.  I know a number of breeders who give their own shots, especially to puppies in a litter (it's probably safer than bringing the pups to the vet's office, where there are usually sick dogs), but they've learned from their vet how to do it, they get the vaccines from their vet (so they know they've been shipped/stored properly), and they're aware and prepared that the dog may have a severe anaphylactic reaction (or a number of less severe reactions).

My dogs don't get annual shots, but they do get annual heartworm tests, at which time they also get the wellness exam that Sharon described.  (Even for those in areas without heartworm, I do suggest an annual wellness exam.)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I didnt know you could do it yourself.

I guess it saves a trip to the vet... but what is the cost of doing it yourself?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I will leave it to the vets, I am petrified of needles; can't watch them taking blood or give a shot.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
JessiesMom\";p=\"44210 said:
I didnt know you could do it yourself.

I guess it saves a trip to the vet... but what is the cost of doing it yourself?
This is one of those things that probably varies from where you live and also if your vet will even sell them over the counter.  Another place that is good to check is Fosters and Smith and also feed stores usually sell them.....Anyway ours is $7.00 for DHPP $8.00 for DHLPP and $9.00 for DHLPP+C  (the second one has Lepto and the last has Corona).

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Nope, I'll stick with the vet...Altho I do give my own Heartworm treatment, none pill, but I inject it into a sausage or something....I do not like needles  :)

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Given the opportunity, I would certainly do them myself but only after a vet visit.  If it came down to it, I'd probably start a line on him and give him fluids if I knew he was just dehydrated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts