Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and daughter are trying to convince me that Gypsy needs a playmate.
Not sure if anyone has read my previous post where I have said that getting gypsy took a lot of convincing since I am NOT huge animal person. But they keep saying that she needs another dog to play with.

Now I say that one is enough and the fact that she is deaf makes it even harder for me to say yes. They think that having another one who can hear would make it easier for gypsy to learn because they say that she would just follow the other one...I'm NOT convinced.

On the other hand I did agree on a breed if we were to get another...English Bulldog but I really don't think I could handle another.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
The straightforward answer is "no your dog does not need a doggy friend, all he needs is you." And that said if one adds another dog to their household it's because one wants one and not as a doggy friend for their other dog.

But you know most likely ... that's a hard sale for family members??? So this one is a bit easier ... "The best advice for those thinking to add a second dog ... is to always have well one trained dog before adding a second. Dogs learn from each other ... good or bad.
And usually that takes about a year to accomplish.

I was still suffering from PTSD when I got Struddell and for the first year Gunther pretty much raised her own his own. She did what he did ... no problem?? They always did everythin together so I "assumed" all was good. I only realized I had been asleep on watch when I left Gunther behind and went to the grocery store with just Struddell.

I opened the back door to grab something out of the car and Struddell instantly popped out of the car ... WTH??? My dogs ... don't do that??? But at that moment I realized ... "Struddell" was in fact not trained! I'd always done everything together with her and Gunther together no one on one time. She was never listening to me she cued off of Gunther she did what he did ... minor variations but in essence it was that. So in the car with no Gunther ot cue off. I open the car and out she comes ... my bad.

The sooner your first dog is well trained and well behaved, the sooner you will be able to "responsibly" add a second dog. And yeah ... "Bulldogs are super cute but they can be seriously ah ... Bull Headed. Most likely running around trying to corral two dogs with no recall ... would not be a lot of fun???

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chip those are all very valid points and on the same lines as what I was already thinking. I think for now I have my hands full with Gypsy even though she has come so far and "listening" haha very well now I am going to hold them off for much longer until I'm ready since I am the main caretaker.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree your dog doesn't need a playmate, and that unless you really want another furkid its best not to add one to your family.

There are several rescue groups that tend to have already trained dogs. Any new pet would have to be trained for your house of course, but it can make it easier to get a new dog.

Maybe you could contact your local vet and see if there are groups or social media groups that you could find to set up play dates with other dogs for your furbaby.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you mean by don't get a girl if we were to decide (which were not...lol) what do you mean by boxer thing? Just for future reference

·
Registered
634 Posts
You can find a lot of data on here from members with first hand experience, but as a rule, two females don't get along as they get older living in the same house. They will fight to be the alpha.

I think this is what Chip18 is referring to.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
You can find a lot of data on here from members with first hand experience, but as a rule, two females don't get along as they get older living in the same house. They will fight to be the alpha.

I think this is what Chip18 is referring to.
Yes ... that. :)

Inter Female Aggression:
Leerburg | Inter-Female Aggression in Dogs

Leerburgh is not Boxer specific, but if one finds themselves ... in deep water ... it's a good site to keep handy ... or come here. :)

But Boxer specific ... Boxer rescue policy is a flat no to adoptees that already have a female Boxer at home. Other Breed female dog ...maybe, it depends on the experience level of the owner??

Not saying it can't be done but female Boxers are one of the worst for the Inter-Female Aggression thing. I've seen my baby girl Struddell nut up twice once over Gunther's, behaviour over Baby kittens being born (she felt Gunther should show more respect! And she leaped over me to put him in his place! And another time over pig ears, my freaking friend caused that one! ... I'd never seen anything like it before!

Not a female/female thing but it was a display of uninhibited ferocity like I'd never seen before! If a new rescued female Boxer put on a display like that with the resident Boxer ... the rescue would be lucky if they got there Boxer back. Hence Boxer rescue policy is ... "Just say NO" to female, female Boxer placement.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
For some females living in the same house it may never be an issue, or it may takes years before one arises... and i also think the rule more so applies to boxers living with another boxer, some boxer rescues wont adopt out a female if you already have one because of that issue.. once they start fighting i hear its very hard to get them to stop..

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
I have had 3 females at once. Two choc labs and a shepherd. Each about two years apart. Lived together for years, no problems. Now these two females 6 months apart play together.
That's a great looking pair of dogs you have there. I did not there were other GSD and Boxer owners on here. Including myself and bte2 that makes three ... there must be more. :)

And no doubt some owners that "happen" to have the right combo of females can have it work out just fine. But those dogs and those owners are the exception and not the rule.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Ok so I suppose ... school is in session as it were??? And the fact of the matter is two females Boxers in the same home ... is just not a good idea.

And that's not me ... that is standard Boxer rescue policy. So one would have to ask themselves ... what have they seen that I have not???

I seriously doubt ... that any of the multi female Boxer households ... have ever had a problem?? Those owners did good ...either they are exceptionally good dog owners or they got the right combo of female Boxer personality???

I don't know but they are the exception and not the rule. Boxer rescue is pretty much universal ..."No Female Boxers" in homes that already have a female Boxer. And no responsible Boxer breeder would sell two female Boxers puppies to the same owner.

I doubt many female Boxer owners have ever seen there dogs ... just lose it??? I have and I have dealt with fighting dog seen I was 15. The first fight I broke up was between a GSD and a Dobbie! One owner was useless the other was going for a gun! Sigh ... whatever, I grabbed a hose and turned it on the dogs ... problem solved. :)

Dogs charge Rocky and I all the freaking time ...no big deal. I'm better at stopping them cold now ... with my stick, then I ever was before. I had five Pack Fights to contend between Rocky and my GSD ... my bad on that one but Gunther never started then and he had no ill will towards Rocky. But male to male aggression is of a nature than inter female aggression ...

"Males fight to breed, females fight to breath"
once two females decide that they don't care for each other ... one will find themselves in very deep water! I saw it with Struddell when she lost it on two occasions! She was swiftly removed her target and it made no difference. She was gone, removing the target ... Gunther made no difference!

A tight head to head clinch and laying on her for five minutes did. I seriously doubt that a new female Boxer owner with a rescue ... would be willing, capable or skilled enough to do that with a dog they just got??? Hence Boxer rescue policy is a flat no ... to Boxer owners that already own a female Boxer.

I seriously doubt many multi female Boxer owners have ever seen that kind of display of aggression with their dogs?? If they had ... they would not be so passive with the two female Boxer thing???

Boxers seem to be number one on the female/female thing and GSD are right there behind them! A Breeder friend of mine on GSD has 14 or so dogs and she has to do a lot of juggling to match dogs up in kennels.

I'm pretty good these days and I would not choose to do two female dogs in my home! I came did come close with my Pit off the street rescue of Sally ... but I had to give her back. :(

But save for a rescue off the street ... I'm pretty much a one female dog owner and that female will be a Boxer. :)

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I bred boxers for over 25 years and had at one point 6 females living in my home at the same time for twelve years and I never had any aggression problems, they got along fine, they all ate right next to each other and all slept with me on a queen size bed, they knew who was the Alfa dog ME LOL, I think it all depends on genetics and bloodlines IMHO

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't think your dog needs other companions because you are his best friends. All he needs is to feel that you love him and that you give him all the attention.
By the way, I also have a Maltipoo dog that I love madly and I think that this breed of dogs is the best teacup puppies in the world. When I see him in the morning coming to bed and caressing me, my whole heart melts.
Because I can't have children, he became my child, that's why I do everything in my power to make him happy to the fullest .

·
Registered
518 Posts
It sounds like you really don't want another dog and having dogs takes 100% commitment emotionally and financially and if you feel you are neither you shouldn't get another dog. I agree with the other posters that two female dogs is taking a risk and having one that can't hear would make this much harder plus your dog used to living alone may not take favorably to a new dog waking them up from a sleep or at dinner time.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
LOL ... I just got tricked by this a few day's ago! But not exactly?? This thread here ...

Note the original date. But it's all good .. cuz a new member had "more/new," questions on the same topic and they are having as I like to say, "Serious Freaking ...Issue's!"

And clearly they had done there research ... to understand "what the deal was??" So it's all good! :)

But this thread is "old," and the OP as of well "today," was just replying to an old post. But as it happens ... Gypsy'sMom has done "Great," with her new dog!

But I don't know if she is still looking for a second dog?? However "now," it does sound like she has rule number one in hand. Always have one well trained dog, before adding a second dog ... and sigh. I have a way's to go myself, so yeah ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts