Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum! My family has a 10 year older female boxer, Sofie. She’s an absolute angel, very well behaved and well socialized. Very attached to her owners, sleeps in the beds with us and always wants to be on the couch close to us and cuddling. She is very healthy, mostly lays around all day but still loves to play. My parents are divorced so she travels to my dads for a few days every 2 weeks but is well adjusted to this routine. I want to get a puppy of my own but I’m unsure what this would look like for my older dog. I don’t want her to feel as if we are replacing her and cause her to leave us earlier. I am also 22 and there’s a good chance I move out in 2 years or so and this new dog would be mine so it would move with me. Is it not a good idea to introduce a puppy to a senior dog and then remove the puppy a few years later?
Just looking for any advice on the situation, or if someone has experienced something similar. I would love to get a puppy and have her learn from my Sofie but I would never want to put her in a position that could ultimately hurt her.
EDIT: the puppy I would be adding would be another boxer, male/female i’m unsure of yet

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Well the easy part for you and your situation is ... "Do Not Get A Female!" Unless you know, you seriously plan on moving out in 2 year's?? In that case you just might "skate by or you might "need," to shorten your leave date by 2 to 6 month's (unexpectedly)??

Trouble with "Two Female's," usually start (if there are going to be any "issue's, in the 12 to 18 month range?? Actually there will be sign's before then, but most people will miss them?? But at (Sexual Maturity) "All Hell can break loose, from there!" Usually after 12 month's or so and it "can/could," get worst from there!

Boxer Rescue Policy ... is NO Female Boxer, in a Home that already has a Female Boxer! A different Breed maybe??? It depend's on the experience of the owner??? So first off, it's not a case of Boy or Girl?? In your current situation it would be best to just get a "Male," puppy and eliminate that particular "Surprise Factor," out the gate. :)

At any rate, you have not said a lot here. But you have said just enough that ... I, would say for "you," ... "don't get a girl!" And understand ... I luv the "girl's myself! It's what I wanted again but "crap happen's??" And I now have a sigh ... "Female Boxer/Pit" ... and all the hard core "No's," I know not to do?? I have broken ... she "Free Roam's Indoor's, " she get's on the furniture at will, and she sleep's with me"! Now pretty much on here all that is "Par For The Course." :)

"We," all do that! But if you see a "Dog's that uh don't get along thread ... that crap is where it start's!" Every freaking time ... Just get a "Boy," and keep life simple ... "Trust Me On That," and if you get your puppy from a reputable breeder?? They won't allow you have a Girl anyway. :)

And beyond that it depends on the Dog?? Some mature dog's actually enjoy puppies?? And other's ... "not so much??" And we have no idea of which type your dog is?? But if you have a dog that does not care much puppies, it becomes you "job," to keep the pup out of your dog's face.

Has she ever been around puppies, in her life?? If she has and she like's them ... that at least gives you a clue. I had an American Band Dawg, Dominate Male Dog, that was "Dog Aggressive," I had no idea at the time as he was still new to me a year old maybe?? And at a Petco, on one occasion ... I was confronted by a Boxer Puppy coming in ... in my defense. I just wanted to move the Hell on!

But the puppy owner asked if his pup could meet my dog and I said sure??? But since I was "kinda not really sure??" I was standing on top of them ... watching closely! All looked well until Gunther "pawed the puppy down and went in to grab him by the back, WTH??? And I moved in and placed my hand on the pup's back! And Gunther backed off when he felt me!! I apologized, profusely and we moved on.

But the rest of that story ... it turn's out "anyway," that my Gunther was not really "Anti Puppy??" In fact he luv'd puppies?? And he became my best "Puppy Raiser Ever!" So I guess I had no idea what he was doing at that time ... but I did not care for his "approach. "

And my Struddell was the Luv of my life! And a really great people Luv'ing dog! But the girl's ... are more then they appear to be?? And while it takes a lot to trip "that switch??" You really, really ..don't want to go there, so step one ... just a get Boy and keep life simpler. :)

Welcome aboard in any case. :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
I can only speak from my experience on this, I made a mistake getting a puppy when my first Boxer a female was10 I got a male but she HATED him immediately and he was too much for her wanting to play all the time so they learned to tolerate each other but from then on I have always had two opposite sex Boxers but I never let there be such an age difference its too much for an older dog to deal with a puppy in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
In all honesty I would wait until you are on your own and not subject a 10 year old to a puppy. Puppies are a tremendous amount of work plus at 22 you re uncertain on what your circumstances will be, i.e. where you will live, apartment/house, pets allowed or not, weight limitations etc. And being young you are going to want your time too. I would definitely get another boxer once I was settled and knew my routine so that a pup could fit into it. So many dogs, good dogs too are rehired because the new owners suddenly find themselves in a position where they simply lack the time. I know this isn't exactly what you want to hear but I think I would enjoy the time the you have left with your current boxer and love her with all you have! Whatever you decide I wish you the best.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I understand what it's like to have your heart set on a new puppy, but PLEASE listen to all of this valuable advice from those of us that have been, and in my case, learned the hard way.
It may also be better to wait until you move, as not all locations are suited to, or accept a 2 year old boxer.
Take care.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Another been there, done that perspective.
Have to basically agree with previous posts, especially the female-female thing. That said, at one time we had 6 boxers 4 were female. Never had a problem until about Year and a half after adding #4, who was sibling, but not litter mate to #3 and both daughters to #2. Unfortunately when 3&4 would get into it often the other 2 girls and the 2 guys would pair off, very very half heartedly Thank goodness.

3 1/2 years ago we added a 6week old male boxer to our almost 10 yo female (#2 above) and almost 9 yo male. First week was interesting in that puppy was way more interested in the older dogs than they were, but these were dogs experienced with puppies. Later that 1st year our male passed in his sleep 1 night. We could see our female grieve. Thanks to that puppy she got a new lease on life and just passed a couple months ago, age 13.

You mention moving possibly in a couple years. If that were to mean taking the puppy away from the older girl, I wouldn’t. JMHO.

Reactions: chip18
1 - 6 of 6 Posts