Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My old girl (13.5 years) fell down and now has a fracture in her right hip socket area. Vet is recommending FHO surgery. I am torn because of her age. I know leaving the fracture is painful, but if I do the surgery, the recovery will be painful as well. She's old and has severe arthritis, but was trucking along slowly, but independently before her fall. The last days since her fall she's needed assistance to get up and barely stands. The vet has asked me to consider her quality of life if no surgery, but I had hopes of the fracture slowly healing on its own. I feel as if Vet is saying do surgery or consider putting her down. Anyone have experience with senior boxer with arthritis who had FHO surgery? Any feedback / thoughts are appreciated.

· Registered
4,374 Posts
I don't think I would put any 13.5 year old dog thru surgery, but this me.I thought I would share this story. MY friend whose dog I sit for is a 17 year old pitt mix. Last summer he fell off the bed and was mostly paralyzed. He was put on pain meds (I can't remember the name) and gabapentin. He for the most part is now off the pain med but takes gabapentin 2x a day. He needs assistance to stand but can now walk (after months) we were using a sling. Now we take him up and down stairs but he can do about 2 steps to get in and out of the house, with assistance. He eats, pees, poops, just fine, his heart, liver etc. are all good. Its been 5 months but he is still going. Early on I thought why...but he is a fighter and I hope he makes it to 18 sometime in April . He is a healthy dog in a very old body. My friends vet is amazed at how well he is . Says he has a will to live and is just not ready for the bridge.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think I would put any 13.5 year old dog thru surgery, but this me.I thought I would share this story. MY friend whose dog I sit for is a 17 year old pitt mix. Last summer he fell off the bed and was mostly paralyzed. He was put on pain meds (I can't remember the name) and gabapentin. He for the most part is now off the pain med but takes gabapentin 2x a day. He needs assistance to stand but can now walk (after months) we were using a sling. Now we take him up and down stairs but he can do about 2 steps to get in and out of the house, with assistance. He eats, pees, poops, just fine, his heart, liver etc. are all good. Its been 5 months but he is still going. Early on I thought why...but he is a fighter and I hope he makes it to 18 sometime in April . He is a healthy dog in a very old body. My friends vet is amazed at how well he is . Says he has a will to live and is just not ready for the bridge.

Thank you for sharing. 💕

· Registered
63 Posts
13.5 years is a good long life for a boxer, and that would weigh heavily on my decision if it were my dog. Reading about this surgery it is very involved, has a long recovery, and is usually recommended for dogs under 50 lbs (I'm not sure how much your girl weighs, my current girl is 65lbs). I would consider all of that against how much more time my girl would actually gain.

It's a very hard decision either way. Maybe get a second opinion? But personally I would be leaning away from surgery and towards doing whatever would make her most comfortable, including considering helping her pass on. I'm so sorry - it's such a hard call and no one can make it for you.

· Registered
1 Posts
My old girl (13.5 years) fell down and now has a fracture in her right hip socket area. Vet is recommending FHO surgery. I am torn because of her age. I know leaving the fracture is painful, but if I do the surgery, the recovery will be painful as well. She's old and has severe arthritis, but was trucking along slowly, but independently before her fall. The last days since her fall she's needed assistance to get up and barely stands. The vet has asked me to consider her quality of life if no surgery, but I had hopes of the fracture slowly healing on its own. I feel as if Vet is saying do surgery or consider putting her down. Anyone have experience with senior boxer with arthritis who had FHO surgery? Any feedback / thoughts are appreciated.
HELLO, this is Deborah in Wisconsin.
Personally, I would not put her through surgery. 13.5 years is a wonderful long life! I know you love her very much.
IF perchance you’’d like to have a cuddly love who is 10 weeks old, I can be reached at Chippewavalleyboxers or [email protected]
I have only one litter every 10 years, and nurture them like babies!

· Premium Member
56 Posts
If it was my Boxer I'd ask my vet to send the x-rays to orthopedics at one of the Veterinary Teaching Hospitals. I'd expect to be charged for the consultation, but if there was any way to do it, I'd know. Do you have easy access to a yard to let her out? So many things to consider. I guess the amount of pain, and age would make it hard to do surgery for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts