Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently introduced a female boxer into my home this past week. I've never had two dogs before so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior. Well, the new dog is more aggressive while playing and seems to be a little stronger than my male. For the past few days I've noticed that the female will stand in the middle of the hallway when my male decides to proceed into the living room. He'll turn around and walk back and lay next to me. He wont go past her. She'll also get in front of him if he's going into her direction, which causes him to stop and wait. Also, if I give attention to my male, she'll push him out of the way and prevent me from petting him and seek that attention from me. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi:)
IMO A lot depends on this
How old are the dogs? Spayed, Neutered?
How long have has the new boxer arrived?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My male is scheduled to be neutered next week, he just turned 2. The female isn't spayed yet and she's 9 months. She's a little smaller than my male but she is obviously stronger. We took her in 5 days ago. She doesn't growl or bark when he interacts with her. I think he knows she's stronger and he's intimidated by that.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Good luck if your gonna put all your eggs in the "getting the dogs, fixed will stop this crap basket???" I suppose sometimes it works, sometimes ... not so much???

If the plan was ... I'm gonna add this new dog and life will go on as always with "minimal input from me??? Clearly ... that is not gonna happen???

You've already done your part ... well enough, you've observed behaviors early on that make you .... uncomfortable. Now ... is the time to decide :

Now is the time to decide if you want to "up your game" and get this crap under control or say screw it call it day ... return the dog and just say "Sorry it's not working out with "this" dog. :(

I have met many Boxers over the years and the only "Boxer" I have ever seen that put the fear of God, into me (for my dogs safety) was a "Female Boxer!" I saw her safely contained behind a fence on a walk with Rocky.

I stopped to talk with a neighbor on a walk with "Rocky" my Over Size Workingline GSD and the owners said "We have a Boxer." Of course I said, oh my I see her?? They said sure and they brought her out on leash behind the fence ... she was a "Flashy" and she ... never made a sound but she stared at "Rocky" like he was "raw meat!" I was stunned ... clearly that was not a "Dog Park! (Not that I go to them.)

In all the Boxers I've seen over the years ... I'd not seen with that ... "I will freaking kill you if I get the chance look! And my own "Struddell" ... I had her nut up twice on Gunther once over baby kittens being born.

My bad on that one ... Gunther was to my left and Struddell was to my right both were about three feet from me. "Struddell" greeted each new birth, calmly and quietly and Gunther greeted each new kitten birth with a Loud bark of excitement! d

At some point, Struddell, decided that Gunther needed to be "more respectful!!" And if I was not going to tell him so ... then she would!!! She cleared e in a single bound and it was "Game On!!" I had to rip her off him and carry her outside, in a tight head lock, to keep from getting bit and lay on her for five minuets ... because she was just flat gone!!!

After five minuets, I get off her and she pops up smiling and looks at me like ... "hey Dad ... what's up?? :)

One other incident over a "Pig Ear" after I let a Friend Care for my dogs over the week end ... but that's another story.

At any rate ... if your willing to, "Up Your Game" then yes this can work. But things in the home will have to change and it would start with "NO FREE ROAMING" IN THE HOUSE FOR THIS DOG!"

You can't control a dog indoors ... if you don't know where they are??? Many have tried ... and it usually "fails" with the wrong dog! As I am want to say ... "been there done that got the stitches!" American Band Dawg vs "free roaming," OS WL GSD, "Five Pack Fights" ... good times, good times. :)

If you want to make this work ... then I think you can and I think I can help?? It's not hard I would say but it does take "Commitment" and what you did before ... is no longer the way to go with this dog in your household with this dog.

So take her back or up your game not my call. But ... to start getting it right ... take a look at the first link here.:

Your call ... you've done your part well ..."Hmm is this an issue??" And my answer is ... "yes, yes it is!"

Your call. :)

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
What's her history? Have the two dogs been in a outdoor area together so they had a chance to run and chase? My female was a puppy when my male was about 3. She was more of a bully, biting his hind legs, and trying to pull him down with his collar when they ran outside. She will back up to a pole and pee (mark) like a male each time we walk. I think she'd have killed a female dog had we owned one.

He would put up with her trying to move into his space ,just to keep the peace. If he had enough he would eventually let her know by lunging, and snapping at her. She would tiptoe away, and not provoke him again. Now, he'll sometimes stand on the porch, blocking her entrance to the back door, for quite a while just to teach the door swings both ways. They may work it out. If she got pushy about getting his spot on the couch, or going near his food, we stepped in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
First off....congratulations on your new family member?

They will sort it out! Give it some time.
Make sure that YOU are the #1 boss though.
Supervise interactions (which you seem to be doing already, but step in when you need to.
At 9 months she now has a new owner, new home and with a new dog. She needs time to get to know how things work and who is in charge.
Now YOU have to make it clear as to who is in charge and you can do that by co trolling food. And stepping in when you need to.
Also keep in mind that she is in her WONDERFUL teenage years which means she WILL try to be the one in charge.
When my dog has warns the pup to stop if the pup doesn't stop I step in. To show the pup who's in charge and to show my dog that Ive got her back.

Its a good thong he is getting neutered soon :) it's not a miracle change but it will calm half of the hormones in the house :)

Congratulations again and any pics?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
So take her back or up your game not my call. But ... to start getting it right ... take a look at the first link here.:

Your call ... you've done your part well ..."Hmm is this an issue??" And my answer is ... "yes, yes it is!"

Your call. :)
Oops, I screwed up I was rushing to work and posted the wrong link ... my bad.

I was trying for the first link here, I just got a rescue ...:
German Shepherd Dog Forums - View Single Post - New Dog, Very Challenging

And I've already "proven" that a dog being "Fixed" does not mean crap. if "Proper Management" is lacking, myself but hey I suppose YRMV???

So I'm not much a fan of the old "let them work it out approach," myself. As I am want to say ... been there done that got the stitches.

But I'm no longer doing "lecture mode" these days ... so if the "let them work out approach does not work out so well???" I'll still be here and then ... I'll make much more sense. Although the effort required "if" things go sideways , will be greater. Kinda like "pay me now or pay later" I suppose??? Good luck keep us posted. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's a picture of her and thanks for all the help everyone. My wife and I will give it a chance and hope for the best while we train and manage this situation. I really don't want to give up on her because she's such a great dog. I don't know much about her history other than she lived with two much bigger boxers. She had scratches on her face and her body. I think the other boxers really roughed her up pretty good. The owner said the male boxer would pin her down and sit on her.

Unfortunately, she was kept outside and never let into the house. I'm not sure how she survived the summers here in Arizona as a puppy. We get up to 120 degrees during the summer. She was so scared to walk through the door to come inside the house. I had to give her treats in order for her to come inside. When she came inside the house, she was so scared to be inside. She isn't trained at all, so I have to train her on the basics. She was freaking out when I put a collar and leash on her. Our first walk was difficult. However, she picked it up on the second walk and has been great on walks. She has had a few accidents in the house and in my car but it's a work in progress. The previous owner said they felt bad because they didn't have time for her, which was the reason they decided to find her another home.

Attachments

·
Registered
634 Posts
There's a lot of good advice on here already.

My 2 cents/ experience....

Female boxers as a whole tend to want to be in charge.

Our puppy, Bandit, of course has a lot more energy than our 4 year-old boxers, he wants to play more and they have worked out when they do and don't want to play. We supervised their interactions for the first few months and it was a while before Bandit was able to roam free with the older boys.

It takes time for them to find their groove and for you to be comfortable with it.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Good looking gal you got there:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
They love to chase each other and play like typical boxers. At first, I was worried about how she was playing with him. She was biting his ears and collar and being really aggressive. My male never played like that, he just loves to get chased and never uses his mouth. Now, he's trying to get her collar and her ears just like her. Sometimes, he's the one pushing the action rather being on the defense. I searched several threads here and watched a few videos on how boxers play. Everything seems perfectly normal according to what I researched. As long as they're both wagging their tails and it doesn't get to out of hand for me to step in. It just needs some more time I believe. I'll be using everyone's advice and hope for the best outcome.

She did stare at him while he was trying to walk with me down the hallway. He stopped and looked at me before reaching her. I let him know it was ok and he walked past her but was reluctant to walk past her.

Last night she was siting sort of close to me when I called my male over. He started to walk to me but stopped when he saw her. He then took a few steps back and I called him over again. He finally came over and I tried to pet him but she was jealous? Because she came over and got in front of him so I could pet her instead. If I try to give any attention to my male she gets in front and wants the spotlight on her. I'm not sure how to stop her from doing that. It's literally everytime.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I guess no one warned you that female Boxers are bitches! Literally! lol Yes it seems that female Boxers tend to be more aggressive and dominant that their male counterparts.

You've been given a lot of good advice already. Hopefully they just need a bit more time to figure things out and things settle down! But overall, besides her being a bit overbearing, it sounds like they're getting along pretty well!

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
They love to chase each other and play like typical boxers. At first, I was worried about how she was playing with him. She was biting his ears and collar and being really aggressive. My male never played like that, he just loves to get chased and never uses his mouth. Now, he's trying to get her collar and her ears just like her. Sometimes, he's the one pushing the action rather being on the defense. I searched several threads here and watched a few videos on how boxers play. Everything seems perfectly normal according to what I researched. As long as they're both wagging their tails and it doesn't get to out of hand for me to step in. It just needs some more time I believe. I'll be using everyone's advice and hope for the best outcome.
This part is kinda uh "normal" for Boxer's it's kinda sorta what tends to get "Boxer" owners asked to take there dog and don't come back at "Doggy Day Care" and the girls ... like to push the edges.

My GSD was a "Wobble Dog" (Ataxia) and if he was not on "full Kill?" He was kinda clumsy and Struddell thought jumping on his back to knock him over was ... "lots of fun!":crazyeye:

It took lots of observation and lot's of "No" "Easy" and "Down" to finally get her to "Dial it down with him. I was "annoying" to her because with Gunther my American Band Dawg, there were no "play rules." It was knock me over if you can free for all. Worked out fine but there was none of the blocking behavior you've described. He's not sure about her and that's where you come in.

Telling him it's OK to come past "could result in issues???" Or she could be playing a game??? In either case it would best to order her away ... not have him forced to pass her. You need to set the rules of acceptable behavior ... not the dogs. :)

She did stare at him while he was trying to walk with me down the hallway. He stopped and looked at me before reaching her. I let him know it was ok and he walked past her but was reluctant to walk past her.
I think I just addressed this???

Last night she was siting sort of close to me when I called my male over. He started to walk to me but stopped when he saw her. He then took a few steps back and I called him over again. He finally came over and I tried to pet him but she was jealous? Because she came over and got in front of him so I could pet her instead. If I try to give any attention to my male she gets in front and wants the spotlight on her. I'm not sure how to stop her from doing that. It's literally every time.
OK ... right there, that is where issues most likely will start ... if this continues.

Right now she's staking her claim on "you." You belong to her and she is content to allow dog number one to hang around ... for now. It may just stop at that or she may when she gets more comfortable decide that dog number one ... needs to "GO!" If that happens ... you will see why "Boxer Rescue" don't place female Boxers in a home that already has a female Boxer. That is not your situation but that could be the sort of fury, that you will see!

The time to address it is now! You've done your part ... noted the issues and asked questions. As for "what to do??" Another post yet to come, so as not to be to "wordy." But relax ... it's not that hard. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Telling him it's OK to come past "could result in issues???" Or she could be playing a game??? In either case it would best to order her away ... not have him forced to pass her. You need to set the rules of acceptable behavior ... not the dogs. :)
That makes sense, I won't be doing that anymore. I'll order her away next time. Thanks for your help and thanks to everyone for their advice. Hopefully she'll calm down once she gets more comfortable.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Oh females can be a real piece of work.. I introduced a female to my household in May she was a rescue and has proved to be a challenge (in a good way)... she is very bossy with my boy Duke... 2nd day of having her and she was humping him in our yard.. poor duke just gave me a look like what the he'll did you bring home...4 months later she's gotten better and she knows I don't put up with her crap lol but she still tests my patience it's a work in progress.. I defiantly see a difference in gender females are hard headed! but i also believe her up bringing never helped her get off to a good start..

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Naw not her upbringing, Struddell had no difficult, up bringing and she was as "pig headed" as they come! In rescue I have only had a chance to work with males and whatever there issues ... I've found the males to be a piece of cake! :)

Closest I've come to a female Boxer (aside form mine) was a Boxer/Pit mix that I had to walk. Hard core plopper downer!! Neighbors dog (and they screamed at her all the time and her default behavior to being, corrected was to plop down!) I did my typical "slight tug sideways" when she tried to lung forward and she slammed to the ground like she'd been kicked, WTH????

It took 45 minuets to go half a house away from home!! Leash pressure forward and I waited ... she was not impressed! Still at the vet's (that's why I had her) I was the only one that could get her to move at all! They were gonna take her in the back to do her nails but after a try and fail by the staff ... they said we'll do nails in the here (the room.) But away from home ... she plopped for a few seconds and then started waking fine.

Long way of saying ... as I did read many years ago about Boxers, the girls are different. And on my hunt for a new dog if it's a Boxer, the only thing I'm sure of is it will be a girl. :)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
She is v very pretty. NO wonder you were having problems..she was kept outdoors and didn't have that human interaction. She will get it but it will take time and patience. If you have not I would either rate her or restrict her in the house unless you are supervising. That way she will learn to be potty trained better and get use to the other dogs and human movements within the house and still feel she is in a safe place. Its more difficult to train an older dog potty manners at first as they have no clue so in that respect is just like having a pup. Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. Keep us posted as to how she is doing. I have a chihuahua , who is 14 now took him as a rescue he had no human interaction other than he lived in a barn in a plywood box. I've had him for 12 or 13 years. He is pretty good now but you do have to keep an eye on him or he will potty if the need arises but for the most part he goes to the door runs outside and then back in. He is crated when I can't watch him which he actually likes more than running free. But when he is free he makes sure I'm never out of his site.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
What a beautiful girl. What a sad life she had before. I'm glad she's with a family that has time for her now. Can't wait to hear how she does over the next few weeks/months.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Aww, with that face, it's hard to believe there are any issues. :)

But back on point, does she walk on leash and you have two dogs. So most likely ... they are "always" walked together??? If so that needs to change, it's important to spend time one on one walking just her.

And don't be surprised if your boy has a cow when the two of you go out together. Struddell (my White Boxer) threw a fit, once I finally realized that I " needed" to start walking Rocky (problem child GSD) one on one. But it was necessary and "key" to getting him under control. I think this clip, further explains the importance of "Walking your dog.

http://www.boxerforums.com/1962682-post24.html

And step to will be "Place and Sit on the Dog." Right now she has no "off Switch." You need to train that ... it's a "thing." :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts