Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Should I take a sick day to pick up puppy?

  • Yes, immediately

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, wait till thursday

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well with all the trouble we have had finding a boxer puppy or the great dane that the wife did want but now doesnt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
Comments Concens from me - as sad as it is for his situation, can you guarantee that you are not going to sink in more $$$ into this pup?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
My other concern would be Attila's leg?   How is it healing?  IMO bring another young one home with a dog with a broken leg may be hard to let it heel.   I know them pups, play play play play!!   So I would also base the decision on the health of your other one too.

**Just a thought!** :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I respect your opinions very much Hannabanana as well as everyone else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His leg is healing great, the vet is supposed to do xrays on tuesday and see if only 2weeks more or longer?  He doesnt realize it is broke, but he does still play like normal with Daphne but then when they get to a point he knows to stop and he will go lay down on his mat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
DM - good attitude, I like that.   I am not being breeder police at all - not my intension, just like both sides of a spectrum presented so poster can make an honest decision.   Its not mine to make, but outweigh pros and cons, and do what you have to do:)  Thats it  :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,391 Posts
I have 2 white ones and would not trade them for the world and they are both deaf. They go to obidence training and are doing very well in that as well as woth my other 2 cockers. If you have fallen in love with him then get him. It is an impulse then wait. He is very handsome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To me anyone can have their own opinions and to each their own.  But I do respect all comments and concers people may have.  Its also that I found out other information that made me so sad and want to get him tonight.  But if you know of other rescues to get a hold of let me know.  I have already tried BoxerRebound and they told me you must have a fence,  because we were really interested in Honcho, and our dog trainer said she would help us as much as needed to get him to know the hand signals.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,155 Posts
Sometimes there are other avenues as well for pups other than rescues.     Like I have a female about 1.5 years old in OK that needs a home.   About 4 months back I had a white male pup, two Ch. parents that the breeder just placed with a home to pay his neuter.  Situations happen, and sometimes dogs need new homes.   Just got to have patients and keep the feelers out there.   Also most rep breeders will place whites in home with only spay/neuter cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
913 Posts
As tough as this situation is, IF this BYB really is on the up and up about the pup being heathy, and Vet checked, they would allow you to pick the puppy up, and take it to your own Vet for an opinion.
I KNOW how tough it is..you see them..and its all over but the crying. But truely, if you do this quickly, and try not to attach, you will at least have an honest opinion, and hopefully a great pup to take home.
I am only leery because this BYB kept telling you it was a RARE boxer...like they were trying to make something happen with a totally incorrect statement. You also, should have a week day to call the supposed "vet" and verify the treatment/vaccinations the pup has recieved already.
Best of luck to you..he IS a beautifull baby boy..and I hope it all works out for BOTH of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,650 Posts
Personally, i would defidently call in sick, i would have the need to get him out of that place immediately. But thats just me. If you have the ability to provide him with a good home, then why not? I know its a BYB but what might happen if a loving family doesnt take him in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,429 Posts
Sorry, I have to agree with Heather here, if you pick up the pup, what happens to the pups in the next breeding and then the ones after that, so on and so on.  As long as they make money they will continue.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I personally would skip work and get him tonight....he's already 5 months old...any day now they could turn him into a breeding factory like all the other adult dogs in their keep....this way you would be preventing a white from being bred.  I do not like BYB or puppy mills...but I still feel that each dog bred has the right to a good home, no matter where they come from..ifyou feel this puppy is right for you, then go get him...if you have doubts...give yourself until thursday to think about it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,592 Posts
Seeing the picture of them all in cages like that breaks my heart, especially seeing that they have the white ones separated from the other pups they have.
They don't look like they are well taken care of at all, you can see the tear stains on their faces.

If it was me and I was going to get this puppy I would call in sick! I actually left work early the night before I planned on getting Phoenix so I could go get her earlier because I couldn't wait any longer.
Let us know how this plays out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
He is a handsome pup, but buying him will tell the BYB one thing- our pups sell, lets breed some more!  Sorry, but that is just my take on it.  "Rescuing" an animal by buying it may give that individual a good home, but what about all the other dogs he breeds and sells? I also have aquariums and if i decide to rescue a poor little betta in a tiny cup- the store will just replace him with another. It is a vicious cycle really. Not to mention they must know nothing about the breed if they are touting them as rare whites, that or they are perpetuating a lie knowningly to sell the older pups. Either way, not someone I would trust, and look at how many cages they have!  how many pups do they produce a year?
Personally I would wait for a rescue.  Check out the local shelters often, you don't have to go through a boxer rescue to find a boxer. Go there in person as they are less likely to put purebred dogs' pictures online because they get adopted fast anyway.  I have personally seen several boxers come through our local humane society.  If you talk to the people that work there maybe they would even let you know when one became available for adoption.
Like Hanna said though, it is your decision, and a hard one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
those pictures are also from oct it seems. Do you know he doesnt look ill or hurt now? I wont tell you to do this or not but if you do i agree with what was said about calling the vet on the papers and checking he has actually been vaccinated. at 5mo he should be fully vaccinated if i remember correctly. Id also wait until your vet is open and get an appointment to take him right there. Whatever you decide i wish you the best.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top