Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxers eat Purina One Sensitive Systems.  It's rating is low but my dogs like it and don't have any problems with it.  So, should I change to a better food and hope they don't have any issues or just stay with the one they're on?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
In this one it is graded an A; see toward the bottom of the information, there is a list of graded dog foods.

Start with a grade of 100:
1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points
2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points
3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points
5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Honestly- we have gone through about 8 foods...from Canidae to Nutro to Blue Buffalo to Chicken Soup- our Reese never had a firm stool with any of them. We switched to Purina One Chicken & Rice and Reese's poo has firmed up and she is putting weight on...which was a problem we also had. It comes to a point where you go with what your dog can handle and eat.  I know you said you had no problems, and IMO if your dog is healthy on it...then go for it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree with Andrea also.  It is hard to find a food they do well with and if you look at the list that Barb posted that food got a 94A, it is not a bad food. There are alot of dogs that do very well on this food when many other things will make them poop and vomit.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one I use is not on the list.  That's pro plan, I use purina one.  But, thanks for the advice!  I think I'll just stick to what they like and have no issues on.  They are healthy and doing great!  Thanks again!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Obviously we all want to feed our babies the best possible, but at the end of the day, sometimes "the best" really doesn't work! I have to agree, if yours are doing good, I wouldn't switch...I've fed mine a ton of different  foods, I have never had any issues until I switched to Blue(runny poo), so I can understand your reluctence to change...Kinda that old adage "if it ain't broke.........

·
Registered
482 Posts
[quote="kiahsmom\";p=\"47888":3u4spn1x]In this one it is graded an A; see toward the bottom of the information, there is a list of graded dog foods.

Start with a grade of 100:
1) For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points
2) For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points
3) If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
4) For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source, subtract 5 points
5) If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer

·
Registered
482 Posts
So if it wasn't listed that means they might have just been so bad that they weren't even worth grading?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
No, I think they just picked a few to show how to calculate it.  There are several F's on there so they showed some of the poorer foods.

The other website probably has all of the dog foods you can think of.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually I don't trust that much that formula posted here, I tried to tracked down who came up with that unsuccesfully, anybody knows??

Just consider that firm stools it's not way to decide if the food is good, cause many cheap brands uses beet pulp to harden the stool, it's just a trick... Do some research on how to evaluate a food, dogfoodanalysis is more reliable that the formula listed here, and there are also other resources like News Target article on pet food ingredients

http://www.newstarget.com/Report_pet_fo ... nts_1.html

Regarding Purina, it's a low quality food as most of pet foods owned by big corporations (in this case Nestle) just check the ingredients

Chicken (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), brown rice, oat meal, whole grain corn, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), dried beet pulp...

It's good that the first ingredient it's a meat, but since it's not chicken meal, this means that after the water in it is evaporated then the major ingredient is corn gluten meal... corn is associated with many allergies and you can see that it appears 2 times... then it gets nasty with the poultry by product meal... this means that it can be organs or leftovers, or even worse, from dead or diseased aninals... same thing with the undisclaimed origin of the animal fat term used there... it could mean the same, leftover greases from processed foods, basically if you feed this you are giving your dog mainly grains and poultry left overs... with that big amount of grains plus the beet pulp it's not a good sign if the stools are firm, just a result of the high fiber and the effect of beet pulp...

I really think more research into the food ingredients is required to choose a food to prevent future problems like bloating, cancer, allergies etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts