Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a one year old male and am looking into gettting an 8 week old female. Is this a good idea? My male is wonderful and has never given me any problems. Will getting another dog make him behave worse perhaps? Also, I don't want him to feel like he is being replaced. I guess I just want any opinion on the two boxer situation. I see the concern with costs, but no one has mentioned any troubles of just having to go through the puppy stages again. Any opinions or insights are welcome!!

Thanks
labiglane

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Advice from a trainer:

Getiing a second Boxer can be a wonderful thing to do.  The only thing is....Do YOU have time to spend with two Boxers.  Boxers are very people oriented.  Even if you get a second one to keep the first one company, they WILL till crave YOUR ATTENTION!!!

Weigh the pro's and cons!!!

Some great things about housebreaking a new puppy with an older dog in the house that the older dog will help teach the younger dog where the potty place is.  The older dog will also help teach the new pup boundaries and limitations.  

Basically, the older dog helps you teac the new pup a lot of things.

Ultimately it's up to you if you can handle it.  If I were you, I'd be all over it.  

Good luck and welcome!!!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My current dog Miller stays in his kennel during the day and gets out to potty and play 1-3 times during that 8 hour period. All other times of the day he is free to roam around the house and backyard as he pleases. My situation would not change for the puppy (other than having to let her out a little more frequently during the day). Miller is completely spoiled and is in no way attention-starved.

Also, he has a very large kennel, would the new pup be able to share with him? He does not have a problem with other animals. He plays and interracts very well with all dogs including boxers.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Well I always say that boxers are like Lays Potato Chips, can't have just one  :lol: Seriously tho, if you have the time, the patience and the room for another then yes, by all means do it...Like Lillyzmomma said, sure there are some downers, esp if you choose a puppy, lots of time spent potty training, etc, the extra cost. But the upside is your male will now have a companion to play with and for me, there is nothing like watching 2 boxers play..I have had 2 male/female combos and had no problems what so ever. Ok, the occasional scuffle over a toy, but you expect that. Is your male neutered? If he isn't I would recomend that he gets done. Bringing a female, even a puppy into the house can cause those hormones to get going..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Getting Ginger was one of the best decisions we have made.  She is such a little ball of energy, her and Gunnar tussle around constantly.  They get along fantastic!!  The only downside for us, is now Gunnars almost 3 he's out of the puppy stage.  Well, Ginger's 8 months, and she's right smack in the middle of it!!  Left them with free run of the house yesterday, just long enough to go get daughter at the pool, and when I got home she ripped a 6inch hole IN MY COUCH!!!!  :x  :x  I know she did it because of the guilty look I got, she gives herself away every time!!   But I should've known better than to leave her to her own devices, I was just in a rush, so it's my fault as much as hers.  Not too sure what to yet, don't think I can repair it, oh well, maybe I needed a new one anyways,  right!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
My one regret is that there is such an age difference between Samson & Angel...8 yrs diff!! But I didn't get him til he was 6 & at the time one was all I could handle..It is very hard at times with that much of an age difference inregards to play. Anything less than 3 yrs difference I think would be a lot better....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 3 year old spayed female with more energy than most boxers. I work days and my boyfriend works nights, so there's almost always somebody home with her... but she is true to the boxer nature and just wants to play all the time. She has no independance. Should I feed into that and get her a boy so that they can frolick together, or should I wait on getting one? The cat is a jerk and doesn't play at all. We're always very interactive with Kia throughout the day, but I feel that she might benefit from having a buddy.
She has on occassion decided to eat a bag of flour, investigate my work brochures, etc. And I think it's because she gets bored. Would another boxer fill her time, or would the house become consistently trashed?
Based on your experience, how has getting a second boxer changed your first one?

·
Registered
803 Posts
We just recently got another boxer, ours are very close in age though. Its definitely a lot of work and energy to keep two boxers entertained. Luckily we have 4 kids to help us do that!

I also will agree that it helps if your boxer is house trained, its making training the new pup alot easier.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I have a 3 year old spayed female with more energy than most boxers. I work days and my boyfriend works nights, so there's almost always somebody home with her... but she is true to the boxer nature and just wants to play all the time. She has no independance. Should I feed into that and get her a boy so that they can frolick together, or should I wait on getting one? The cat is a jerk and doesn't play at all. We're always very interactive with Kia throughout the day, but I feel that she might benefit from having a buddy.
She has on occassion decided to eat a bag of flour, investigate my work brochures, etc. And I think it's because she gets bored. Would another boxer fill her time, or would the house become consistently trashed?
Based on your experience, how has getting a second boxer changed your first one?
We got a second boxer when my first girl was seven. I wish I had done it years earlier! She loved him soooo much! She played with him and was his surrogate mom. She was so protective of him. When she passed he went into a depression. Wouldn't play, wouldn't hardly eat. Two weeks after she passed I decided to get another one for him. I was heart broke over losing her, but my heart was breaking watching him. I got Olive. Best thing I did for him. I will never have just one boxer now. She is three so it is a perfect time. I wouldn't get a second you already havr a puppy, that can be very difficult. I would wait until my first was at least a year and a half. Make sure you get a male though. Many times you won't know if there is a problem with another female until the second reaches maturity, and if there is, at that point it is a horribly hard thing to deal with. I say.....GO FOR IT!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts