Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be answering my own question here but i'm debating on going back to raw. While my guy was on raw he gained weight, pooped less, was itch free and never smelled yeasty. It was like heaven for my guy with irritable bowel disease. I switched back to kibble because he got sick with kennel cough and the antibiotics messed his tummy up bad and he was literally pooping out undigested beef. I put him on a mix of canned food and kibble and pumpkin and his poop firmed up and he gained weight again. The kennel cough took a lot out of him. He turned to skin and bones and laid around and just all around was miserable. It took 3 rounds of antibiotics to clear up his green snotty nose. He got sick starting Dec 14th, and still today coughs sometimes but his nose is clear and its a dry cough so i think the cough is still lingering but im watching for any signs of getting sick again. Another reason i switched was because i had fed him at 7 am and he threw up 12 hours later with the raw meat still in his tummy and it smelled so bad. I'm pretty sure it should be out of his tummy by then so i was afraid he wasnt able to digest the meat. This could of been because of the antibiotics killing all the good gut bacteria, but im not sure. Also every vet i have told i feed raw has freaked out on me. They say because his immune system is suppressed because of the steroids hes on that hes more susceptible to getting sick from the raw meat. I understand vets usually know nothing about nutrition and push prescription food because those companies are the ones that teach them nutrition.

This is such an internal struggle because i just want whats best. I do everything i can to help him. I bought a box of Honest Kitchen base mix (the kindly one) and im thinking about trying raw again. I currently feed Zignature Duck and his feet are itchy and red, his ears smell, and he poops so much and it ranges from decent to pudding consistency. If i feed raw i feed beef usually and i would like to try different meats like qual, duck, and fish because i know feeding one protein too long can cause allergies to develop to that protein. I have access to a store down the road that sells Blue Ridge Beef & Primal pet foods. I would feed the chubs of meat then add the HK base mix for the other needed nutrients. I would love to feed the Primal nuggets but id spend so much money to feed a bigger dog, and i just dont have that much to spend. :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
Well the decision is entirely up to you, but if he was doing better on raw, then I think you have answered your own question!

As for his poop being pudding like on kibble, the most common reason for that is over feeding. Cut back a little bit on each meal and see if that helps. As for the itchy ears and yeasty feet, that could be from the kibble. What kibble are you feeding him?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I give him probiotics daily either in powder form or Primal Pet Food raw goat milk. I also give digestive enzymes, coconut oil, turmeric paste, and honest kitchen perfect for supplements. Of course i dont give it all at once. Some is in the AM some in the PM. I feed zignature duck. It says 2 1/2 to 3 1/3 for a 40-60 lb dog and to feed 2-3 times the amount for puppies. Hes almost one so hes not really a puppy but he plays soooo much during the day so i feed 3 cups because he burns more calories then i can get into him. As you can see from the picture i attached he looked horrible so i fed him 3 meals a day with a good quality canned food to put some weight back on him and now he looks so much better. I dont think its an environmental allergy because he had no problems on raw so i definitely agree that its something in the food, but according to my vet food allergy testing is really inconclusive so i dont want to waste my time.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
I agree. Best way to find a food allergy is an elimination diet. You can wean him off the canned and kibble my mixing in raw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts