Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently feeding Major Purina One chicken and rice.  He just turned 11 mos. and is only 49 lbs.  He's a very tall boxer, in fact, he's taller than any boxer that he's seen at the dog park, etc, but he isn't as filled out as them.  There's one that is 13 mos. and 58lbs, and shorter, but more filled out.  I was considering switching him to Innova Evo food.  I'm happy with the Purina, but I want him to get the best nutrition that he needs.  I realize that boxers are slow growing and it takes them 2-3 years to reach full size, and I'm not trying to rush his growth, but I'm just wondering.  He has a lot of loose skin that he needs to grow into still too.  Like handfulls lol.  The other thing too is I don't want him to get fat either.  I want any weight to be muscle.  Which I'm sure it will be, because he is in constant motion and really runs ALOT.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Ive heard the EVO food is good but i dont think you should be worried about his size. Mav is 50lbs and 11 months old. switch if you want a better food or whatever but i dont think he needs to be bigger at this point. oh and Mav is on Canidae ALS chicken and rice formula

·
Registered
648 Posts
Yes i would agree. If he is doing good with current food I wouldn't switch just to help fill him out. Other problems could come up. Also, It is best not to rush the growth becasue that may cause bone problems later on. I think most say they don't fill out until after 1 1/2 or 2 years old.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
EVO has over 40% protein and IMO best to feed at 18 Months to 24 months.  IF you are concerned about filliing out have patients my friends.  Some dogs will fill out by a year other will take the full two years to pop.   Hanna was about 1.5 years to fill out and Kash man just hit one and looks like man in the face but all puppy.   Boxers grow and fill out at different rates IMO not really easy to compare to other boxers.  If he likes his food ,then IMO keep feeding it.   Maybe try to rotate another kibble in with your mix to give him something new.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It's kinda like that old saying "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" But as Boxers growth plates are not closed til 18 I wouldn't switch to the Evo, like Heather said...There are a ton of great foods out there(check out the Sticky topics) and switch up every few months...As far as filling him out, that does vary from dog to dog, just like people..So don't judge how your baby looks against someone elses..The thing that should matter is if yours is healthy :) You can tho, add a protein snack to his diet, like A Kong stuffed with some PB & yogurt, PB sandwich etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts