Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Berkley has had diarrhea since yesterday morning, and has "thrown up" 3 times.  When she throws up it has been all liquid, almost like a reflux or something, and hasn't necessarily coincided with drinking, twice right after, once randomly.   She hasn't thrown up yet today, but has pooped twice without really eating anything.  She did have one normal stool yesterday, mid-day, but all the other ones were extremely runny.  Yesterday she seemed to be eating fine, but she didn't really eat breakfast today.  I currently have some rice cooking and will be boiling chicken, to see if that helps.  She eats Nutro Natural large Breed Puppy Lamb and  Rice.  I have decided to switch her to Canidae, and bought a small bag to start the switch.  For dinner last night i did 3/4 nutro 1/4 canidae, and replaced the wet/canned food topping from nutro to canidae.  She won't eat just dry kibble.  She seems to be sleeping/laying around more, and has started doing a slouch sit, where she sits, then slouches to her right, cute, and not sure if its related or not.  We let her run around in our fenced backyard during the day, and it may be possible she just ate something, I just kinda figured that would clear itself up a little faster.  Any ideas?

I have read the stickies, and that is partially the reason I am posting.  She has a vet appt on Wednesday, and i'm not sure if I should take her in today to the emergency vet, or just try some home remedies and she how she does, then explain the situation to the vet on Wednesday.  Obviously if she gets worse, or continues to not eat, I would take her in earlier.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would take her to the ER because it could be something serious you never know. Especially for young puppies. It could be alot of things like worms, poison, indigestion or something more serious. Just take her because she can be dehydrated from vomitting and pooping.  :wink:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I would take her to the vet, if it is serious then it was caught right away.  If not, then you have peace of mind.

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
i agree, take her to the vet. hope she is ok. keep us posted

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I would get her to the vet earlier, just because I'd be worried of her becoming dehydrated. I hope it's nothing serious!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since posting, she got up, played around for about 1/2 hour, inside and outside, very energetic, barking and playful, and running at full speed, etc.  I then calmed her down, and she ate about 1 1/2 cups of the chicken and rice, she seemed to love it.  It was the most she's ate since yesterday at lunch.  Now she is sleeping again.  She has not pooped since eating, so I am waiting to see how that goes.  She seemed more of her normal self after her morning nap.  I'll keep you updated, hopefully she just ate something that didn't agree with her, grass or a stick or something, and it is working itself out.  I'll let you know.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I might have been the new food, I have read that it is pretty rich so maybe it upset her a little and had to work its way out.  Our babies have all had off days and problems where you really worry but usually you can tell if they need to go to the vet or if they are just feeling bad, it is that boxer mommy/daddy instinct!  :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hoping that Berkley starts feeling better..It really could be so many things and Boxers do tend to have sensitive tummies, so the slightest thing sometimes will set it off....Keep an eye on her, hopefully the chicken and rice will help her....Very well could have been the food, sometimes at a young age the premium foods are just too rich for their bellies :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Good news for you! I would keep the meals of chicken and rice small and more often.  That will keep her hydrated and from getting hypoglecemic if she keeps it down.  Puppies can have upsets from changes easily.  Keep an eye on her and keep us posted.

Nano

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, she just pooped again, and it was almost back to normal!  All she ate today was a small amount of kibble and yogurt(her normal breakfast), and then 1 chicken breast and about 3 cups of rice split into 3 small meals throughout the day.  About the food switch, she had the diarrhea before I started the switch, which we have now decided to wait a few days and make sure she is back to normal before switching.  So do I start feeding her kibble again, cook more chicken and rice, or do I mix the kibble in with some more chicken and rice and slowly bring her back to normal.  She def seems normal now, and is back to her nipping and playing around, however she did rest most of the day today.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I would do a mixture with the kibble, chicken and rice mixture to work her up to full time kibble 1/4 kibble to 3/4 rice chicken for a couple days then half and half?  Then just work your way up to all kibble.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing better...Yea, I would transition slowly from the chicken, her tummy needs to recupe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts