Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really cant firgure out if i want to get rumor's ears cropped or not i know that cropping is breed stan. an all but i just dont know if i want to what do you guys think

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well its the breed standard. If "you are really trying to get your dog in the ring.." you should. But through experiance if you are not going to show it then i wouldnt. Its hard on the pup. And very time consuming you have to watch it constantly and make sure it dosent hurt itself by say walking into the wall or rolling over on its back and then getting hurt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Shows how welll you know the breed standard blackboxerluvrs..

Uncropped dogs are NOW permitted in the ring. AND, color alone does not dictate a show dog. The standard was changed - you can show uncropped dogs.

As for cropping, its time consuming, but honestly? Not that hard for anyone with an ounce of common sense, and who is able to care for an animal well.

We have a tutorial on our site on taping cropped ears.

·
Registered
744 Posts
It depends on your personal preference. I currently have both. Cropping is very time intensive and does involved a certain amount of dedication. Some dog's ears stand after only 2 months of taping, some can take up to 8 months of taping.

Bottom line is that I would much rather leave a dog's ears natural rather than have to look at a failed crop for the rest of his or her life, so if you're on the fence about it, I would just leave them natural.

If you do decide to crop, make sure to contact a boxer club near you to find a vet that does the nice show crops. The "pit bull" or "mickey mouse" crop is incorrect for our breed, and sadly, many vets don't know how to properly crop boxers' ears.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i might show her because she is high show potentail but  its just that if i leave her ears uncropped will they count it against her in the ring

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will tell you honestly rumorsmommy - and I am REALLY truly not being mean, or spiteful - I have apprecated your posts on the black boxer thread -  but - if your breeder is telling you your puppy is show potential at this age, and from the photos you posted - she can NOT make that determination ethically.

As I posted to your original thread about your pup - her size, appearance and apparant weight was a concern in the photos.  She looks like she will make a LOVELY pet, but I will tell you in all honesty that if I were placing her, she would be just that - a pet.

Show potential is about conformation - body structure, condition, angulation, certain aspects and strengths in the head/muzzle etc.
Markings often HELP a show pup, but do not make them a show puppy.

I would tell ANY buyer to only purchase a "show potential" puppy from a breeder who shows themselves, and who breeds litters to produce something to show themselves.  While many breeders BREED litters - and many 'breeders' SELL show puppies, not many of them truly are!

I personally VERY RARELY breed, and even then, I VERY RARELY place puppies as 'show potential' simply because I want only the BEST ones out there representing myself.

I would ask the breeder what MAKES the puppy "show potential" when purchasing a puppy who the breeder CLAIMS to be a show puppy. And always remember, all ANY puppy CAN have is POTENTIAL. There is NO such thing as a guaranteed show dog, or a guaranteed champion - even from "Champion lines". (If you want something GUARANTEED to be show quality, buy an older puppy, or adult dog.)

I know this is about cropping, but its a personal pet peeve when I get email after email about breeders who sell 'show quality' puppies and then they ask me of fellow breeders for an opinion on a dog who is obviously a pet, and then the buyer is dissapointed.

Just remember to avoid dissapointment - if you WANT to show, BUY a show potential puppy from a breeder who shows, and who has BRED dogs who finished, and whos SOLD dogs who finished.

And for ear cropping, remember that an uncropped ear can also require taping and frequent maintenance to lay correctly - and this can be more ongoing than taping a cropped ear!

I do agree about finding a recommended vet - on our site we keep a list of vets by state who do good ear crops, and who have been recommended by fellow breeders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts