Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Juniper & Gus
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!!
I’ve been a member on this forum since I got my baby girl, Juniper. Juni is 9 months old and pretty amazing. Wild? Absolutely. Kind of a pain in the ass at times? Yup. But I wouldn’t change it

My sister and I have been talking about getting a second dog for Juniper to have a friend. I noticed there is a male boxer at one of the kill shelters in my town who is around the same age. His story is that he was left outside 24/7. I met him and he’s extremely sweet but definitely needs someone willing to train him. The staff told me he’s more submissive than aggressive, does well with other dogs and is kenneled with an older dog. Of course after playing with him, I adore him.

I just want to make sure I’m doing right by Juni and doing what’s in her best interest. I plan to introduce Juni to him before making any decisions but also want y’all’s input.

A lot of you have so much experience and wisdom when it comes to boxers. Is this a horrible idea? Will we be in over our heads? What advice do you have for us?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I don't think its a bad idea at all as long as you are willing to be patient and train him knowing that he was not cared for or trained at all since he was neglected so badly. I believe it can be done and your dog will have someone to play with and its a male which is a good thing I assume he will be neutered? Just know he is an unknown as far as health issues go so there is that risk but this poor guy hasn't had much of a chance in life and would probably appreciate a chance to have a life and be loved. As long as you are willing to assume the risks and the training responsibility I don't see a problem concerning your current dog and if she is willing to accept him.

·
Registered
Juniper & Gus
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@[email protected] thank you for your response! :)

To answer your question, yes! The shelter would neuter him prior to us bringing him home. And we would definitely take on the training, patience and potential health risks.

I’m going there today to see how he and Juni do. Unfortunately my sister won’t be able to go until tomorrow since she works all day. If it goes well and he is still there tomorrow morning there’s a good chance we will adopt him.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
Shelter's do tend to do the nose to nose thing with a meet and greet. and on leash as a general rule. And depending on the dog's involved that does not work out and is pretty much the worst way to introduce dog's. But hopefully it work's out for you? Let us know. :)

·
Registered
Juniper & Gus
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@chip18 ding ding ding! You are right, they did have an on-leash and face to face meet and greet, which I have seen go badly. I believe they would have let me watch them interact in one of their dog runs/kennels but it just so happens that Juni is on the tail end of her first season (she’ll be spayed once she’s a year old) and I was not about to put her in that situation.

Luckily it went well. We plan to go back tomorrow when my sister can meet him- if he hasn’t been adopted before then. Unfortunately they won’t hold him for me, but I understand that’s their policy: Fingers crossed it works out, and if he’s not there, I will just be grateful someone is giving him a home.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
OMG?? Are you kidding me?? They are still doing that?? My story was from 15 years ago. When I tried to pull my first Boxer from rescue. I contacted a Boxer Rescue when I saw him and they told me "not to tell them I had a dog?"

Sigh it did not go well? My Band Dawg, did not take well to that kinda crap? It was 15 years ago and as recall the Boxer I was trying to get was cool but my "Band Dawg," not so much? He made them nervous and they said "No," I called the rescue back and they sent someone else.

But it does sound like you did better than me, keep us posted. Oh and uh wise advise that I tend not to follow with a new dog is here.

Just look up"Two Week Shut Down," it's really just general guidelines, don't overwhelm the dog with tons of people and stuff. Give him time to adjust to his new situation. And how ever your girl did it?? It sounds like she did good! My Gunther never laid a tooth on the Boxer I was trying to get out of there but they wanted me to take my dog and go! :)

·
Registered
Juniper & Gus
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@chip18 I know for most dogs the face to face is not the way to go. Luckily they seemed interested but not obsessed with each other. My sister and dad went to the shelter this morning to meet him and they both loved him. So I’m excited to say we will be adopting him! Not sure what we will be naming him yet but my dad is already calling him “Ollie.”

wow, that’s a great article. We will definitely have to implement that when he comes home and give him time to acclimate. Thank you for sharing!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Congrats on your new boy 🤙🤙🤙🤙

Years ago and we had only recently gotten our little girl Ruby we were showing her off to a friend of friends. She remarked how she wished somebody like us could adopt the boxer next door to her. According to her, poor 9 month old Jack was left alone, outside from O dark thirty until the live alone, getting divorce owner came home usually around midnight. He went to visit. He had that yard, the yard furniture all tore up. Wouldn’t come close to me, but readily accepted a treat from our friend, the neighbor. Nobody home so I left a note asking about Jack’s future. Guy called next day said if I wanted him I could have him. Went right over. Had a single cab Tacoma at the time, wife still bound to a wheelchair staid in the truck with Ruby. At the door he guy gave me what few records he had. I think I thanked him more than he did me. He opened the door, let Jack out. Jack hesitated, saw the truck and took off. a single leap, he cleared the window and landed squarely in wife’s lap. Think he knew he was going home. A couple hours later I have him out on a leash in the yard, smallish lot inside perimeter in Atlanta, there is some activity. Jack immediately alerts and let’s everyone know he’s on duty. I felt really good. Jack, Ruby, even our 2 cats bonded almost immediately. Not all peaches and cream though. Poor Jack had terrible separation anxiety. Come to find out we were his 4th home in his short 9 months. I’m pretty sure he destroyed every plant in the house. We got a large size crate for him. Amazingly that crate has been a safe place comfort area for every boxer and cat we’ve had. It still sits in our bedroom and I’m confident enough to bet both our pups and the cat will have gone in there for some time before I sleep tonight.
Jack turned into a great dog. When we moved to Hawaii he even took on the roll to keep the local pigs a bay. Sadly, he was only 8 1/2 when he passed and while we have had more males since, none could replace him.
Here is pic of Ruby (brindle) and jack playing in the field.

have fun and enjoy your new boy.
02DD20A7-6DD4-4409-8DB3-DE108CDA94EA.jpeg

Reactions: JP2020 and Wennox

·
Registered
3 Posts
@[email protected] thank you for your response! :)

To answer your question, yes! The shelter would neuter him prior to us bringing him home. And we would definitely take on the training, patience and potential health risks.

I’m going there today to see how he and Juni do. Unfortunately my sister won’t be able to go until tomorrow since she works all day. If it goes well and he is still there tomorrow morning there’s a good chance we will adopt him.
I Rescued A Male Boxer few months ago. My Girl Boxer is little younger than him. They play Great Together, They are Fun to watch ,But will mimick the other and Hopefully He will see She does Good with you ,He will follow suit. 💗💗

·
Registered
29 Posts
@chip18 I know for most dogs the face to face is not the way to go. Luckily they seemed interested but not obsessed with each other. My sister and dad went to the shelter this morning to meet him and they both loved him. So I’m excited to say we will be adopting him! Not sure what we will be naming him yet but my dad is already calling him “Ollie.”

wow, that’s a great article. We will definitely have to implement that when he comes home and give him time to acclimate. Thank you for sharing!! View attachment 136609
He’s beautiful. Congratulations. Best wishes for a smooth transition xxx

·
Registered
1,073 Posts

Years ago and we had only recently gotten our little girl Ruby we were showing her off to a friend of friends. She remarked how she wished somebody like us could adopt the boxer next door to her. According to her, poor 9 month old Jack was left alone, outside from O dark thirty until the live alone, getting divorce owner came home usually around midnight. He went to visit. He had that yard, the yard furniture all tore up. Wouldn’t come close to me, but readily accepted a treat from our friend, the neighbor. Nobody home so I left a note asking about Jack’s future. Guy called next day said if I wanted him I could have him. Went right over. Had a single cab Tacoma at the time, wife still bound to a wheelchair staid in the truck with Ruby. At the door he guy gave me what few records he had. I think I thanked him more than he did me. He opened the door, let Jack out. Jack hesitated, saw the truck and took off. a single leap, he cleared the window and landed squarely in wife’s lap. Think he knew he was going home. A couple hours later I have him out on a leash in the yard, smallish lot inside perimeter in Atlanta, there is some activity. Jack immediately alerts and let’s everyone know he’s on duty. I felt really good. Jack, Ruby, even our 2 cats bonded almost immediately. Not all peaches and cream though. Poor Jack had terrible separation anxiety. Come to find out we were his 4th home in his short 9 months. I’m pretty sure he destroyed every plant in the house. We got a large size crate for him. Amazingly that crate has been a safe place comfort area for every boxer and cat we’ve had. It still sits in our bedroom and I’m confident enough to bet both our pups and the cat will have gone in there for some time before I sleep tonight.
Jack turned into a great dog. When we moved to Hawaii he even took on the roll to keep the local pigs a bay. Sadly, he was only 8 1/2 when he passed and while we have had more males since, none could replace him.

View attachment 136619 View attachment 136619
So glad you were able to give Jack his forever home. I hate hate hate it when people get dogs and then have no time for them and its very sad this poor boy had to be passed around so much at least you gave him a normal life.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone!!
I’ve been a member on this forum since I got my baby girl, Juniper. Juni is 9 months old and pretty amazing. Wild? Absolutely. Kind of a pain in the ass at times? Yup. But I wouldn’t change it

My sister and I have been talking about getting a second dog for Juniper to have a friend. I noticed there is a male boxer at one of the kill shelters in my town who is around the same age. His story is that he was left outside 24/7. I met him and he’s extremely sweet but definitely needs someone willing to train him. The staff told me he’s more submissive than aggressive, does well with other dogs and is kenneled with an older dog. Of course after playing with him, I adore him.

I just want to make sure I’m doing right by Juni and doing what’s in her best interest. I plan to introduce Juni to him before making any decisions but also want y’all’s input.

A lot of you have so much experience and wisdom when it comes to boxers. Is this a horrible idea? Will we be in over our heads? What advice do you have for us?

Thank you!
When I have two Boxers, male and female. I try to have them at least two years or so apart in age. In that way, the older one has some manners and the younger one begins to understand the sits, and stays, and comes, etc. a bit easier. Once, only, I had litter mates, male and female, and it worked out with no problems but I am thinking that I lucked out with the pair and I also have a fair bit of Boxer knowledge, being on number 18 now. So tread carefully. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,571 Posts

When we moved to Hawaii he even took on the roll to keep the local pigs a bay. Sadly, he was only 8 1/2 when he passed and while we have had more males since, none could replace him.

View attachment 136619 View attachment 136619
Oh only 8 1/2 years? Well that suck's but a belated "Thank You," for rescuing him, sounds like he a great life. :)

·
Registered
5,571 Posts
I Rescued A Male Boxer few months ago. My Girl Boxer is little younger than him. They play Great Together, They are Fun to watch ,But will mimick the other and Hopefully He will see She does Good with you ,He will follow suit. 💗💗
Oh another Boxer rescued. Well congratulations and Thank You for rescuing him and welcome aboard. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts