Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

Registered
Juniper & Gus
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hey everyone! Thanks for all the wonderful responses. Jack was an absolute beaut! I鈥檓 glad he and the other boxer rescues mentioned were given a better life. 馃挏 it warms my heart.

my family decided to name our new addition Gus. After Gus was neutered we were told he might also be mixed w American bulldog and is closer to two years old than 10 months. His age comes as a bit of a relief, as I don鈥檛 know how we would have handled two boxers under one year old. 馃槀

I have been doing my best to follow the article Chip provided. Admittedly, I never appreciated how much goes into introducing dogs to the home and am super grateful for this forum and all the people on it! When you know better, you do better. Anyways, we haven鈥檛 had guests, haven鈥檛 taken Gus on outings, and have not been placing demands on him so far. While Juni and Gus have played a little more than it suggests on the article we have made a point to give them lengthy breaks from each other.

We definitely have our work cut out for us with training but Gus is an extremely sweet boy. It will take time and patience but I have no doubt that he is trainable. I鈥檓 excited to see the dimensions of his personality as he becomes more comfortable. I already love the guy. 馃グ

-Magdalena

7FBFEC78-1C5F-4A76-B3B1-EE035F7FF353.jpeg

Registered
Wow, what a great story! They look pretty darn happy together! That photo could have so many captions lol
Congrats and thank you for the huge heart to take a chance on this guy!

Registered
Looks like things are going really well and I'm glad to hear it! Gus is probably so glad to have a home of his own now and won't have to worry about living alone in a back yard anymore. I think its wonderful hope things continue to go well just take it one step at a time.

Registered
If all you need is a friend, then a shelter dog is the way to go. For one thing, mixed breed dogs are less likely to suffer from genetic defects that purebreds have. They鈥檙e also fully vaccinated and spayed/neutered, and many shelters will give you a starter kit with everything you need to get them settled in, or at least a bunch of coupons to buy the basic supplies yourself, so it the financial side of things is much simpler. Sure, some dogs might come with emotional baggage, but 99% will turn out happy and well-adjusted once you get them home. I鈥檝e had four shelter mutts in my life, and all of them were wonderful pets.

But putting all of that aside: most shelters euthanize animals that don鈥檛 get adopted. Thousands of unwanted dogs die every day for no good reason. When you adopt one, you save a life.

Now, I won鈥檛 throw shade at people who buy from breeders if they have a good reason. Sometimes you need a guarantee. If you鈥檙e looking for a working dog of any kind, you can鈥檛 afford to gamble. But if you aren鈥檛 going to put the dog to work, and all you want is a companion, then there鈥檚 no reason to shell out hundreds of dollars for a purebred when there are plenty of perfectly fine dogs at the local shelter.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts