Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! New to the community, I've got a sweet female boxer mix, she is 10 months old and her name is Yali. As a general rule Yali is playful and sweet and a total cuddle monster but she is also pretty shy and weary of new people. I did have her in a 3 week residential training program several months ago because I was concerned about some aggression she was starting to show on her leash, which when we are out and about she really doesn't have much issue with, but when we are at home or even in other spaces (friends' houses etc.) she gets shy and even scared, she keeps her distance and can get a little growly when approached by the new person (I hesitate to call the growling aggressive, more like just asking for her space but obviously this could be problematic under the wrong conditions).

Looking for any thoughts or advice? Is this normal for boxers? Is there a way to help her warm up to new people with more ease? Will she just naturally grow out of it as she meets more new people? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I have had females before that have had similar responses to new people usually when they reach maturity. I would not push this dog if I were you obviously she is feeling overwhelmed and threatened when you put her in new situations or feeling pressured this is not the way you overcome this problem. I suggest you back down on these experiences because what will happen if she is cornered by a new person she will bite to protect herself and then you will have a real problem. I suggest you not take her to new places unless you stay right with her at all times don't let anyone corner or approach her until she calms down and gets used to them being present. She maybe never will get used to these situations and you will have to accept that's just who she is there is no way to force a dog to be friendly. The best you can hope for here is for her to be more tolerant and that's going to take a lot of work and patience. Females are inheritantly more protective of their homes and their owners that's just a fact. I have had dogs before that just wanted their "space" around them that's not a bad thing its just a thing you will have to get used to.

·
Registered
5,594 Posts
Well she is 10 months old but how long have you had her? She looks to be a Boxer/Pit? Very similar to my current girl Bella.

Breed characteristics generally speaking, give you some idea what to expect in a dog. Some "Dogs," match expectations and some dog's don't. Broadly speaking Boxer's and Pit's luv people.

And unless "something happened?" That generally holds true. But there are two sides with mixed breeds. And on leash, (without proper training) a Pit mix can be rather uh "unruly" around other dog's. But they can be taught not to act like fool's around other dog's. But it shouldn't be a big surprise. :)

Other dog's are not a big deal, on train my dogs' to "Ignore other dog's," and that was pretty much the end of that crap. Now that was a bit overkill for my Boxer (Struddell, Avatar) because she "knew," Daddy had her back. So out the gate she never cared about other dog's anyway.

And with her (Boxer) and my American Band Dawg (BullMastiff/ Lab/APBT) mix and my first Boxer/Pit, they Luv'd people! Holiday's were a great time for them!
Struddell epically, everybody was coming here to see me. And Halloween ... was even better! :)

And for those weekends, Daddy was gone? She slept with our guess and pined away for a bit at the front window when everyone left? :(

That is the pretty much the kind of behaviour you can "expect for the most part," with a dog that actually "likes," people. There is no shyness, there is no fear.

You don't have to worry about someone approaching your dog to fast, or startlingly her awake and having them bite the crap out of someone? I foolish thought "all dog's were like that?" But as I was find out much later, with my first Working Line GSD ... "All dogs' are not like that with people?"

He was a seven month rescue when I got him to foster (A Wobbler's Dog) and the it was the first Holiday when company came over ... that I knew I had a "problem?" Stru and Gunther were doing the usually meet and grip as folk's arrived. And I "happened to be sitting apart with Rocky at me feet." I noticed he was not participant in the meet and greet bit? OK well that is odd? I got out of the chair and sat on the floor by his side. And that is when I noticed ... he did not move, but he watched every new arrival like they were "Raw Meat!" And I felt a deep low rumble in his chest? WTH, is this and I felt a Cold Chill, run up my spine! After that ... he never was not by side and let "No One," approach him. We survive the weekend without anyone injured and I knew I had "Work To Do?"

Now it turns out there was nothing wrong him? Different Breed for me and new stuff to learn. Such as "Aloof," with people. I was willing to change what I did with him and my expectations to keep him and the public safe. Worked out fine in the long run.

Your girl can get "better," with some work. But need to make some changes in your expectations in what you can do with her and it would start with, not putting people in her face. She has already shown you who she is, you should believe her and make adjustments. She cares about you and not others.

If that is not enough for you and she is not the dog you want? Then offer to foster in place and contact a Local Rescue, to find a more suitable home and try again. You have to do what's best for the dog. On your present course, she will bite the "Crap Out of Someone" and we don't need more bad press.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
To be clear, I am not trying to send my dog back to a shelter or foster her, she is MY dog and I love her, more than I can even put into words. I was looking for strategies that might make her more comfortable around new people as we have only had a couple of experiences so far... I am not SHOVING people in her face, we've been in a global pandemic (didn't realize I needed to preface this since it was a collective experience but...) and just had our first visitors and my boyfriend (who she's basically known since day 1) got a new roommate and I've noticed this behavior where she is nervous and shy. She mostly just doesn't want to be approached, she will approach when she's ready but still might not want to be touched by the stranger but she's still very energetic and explorative and just finding her bearings. I am just here to learn.. She is not aggressive, she is not going to "bite the crap out of someone," and I've already honored the fact that boxer breeds are new to me (have experience with terriers and heelers mostly) by working with a trainer.. I didn't just send her away and she came home, it's a local training facility where they worked with her AND me to be sure we were both trained for her safety and my own, I take accountability of what I don't know and what I do, which is why I thought a boxer community would be the place to come for dialogue (I was wrong). She is trained, I am comfortable with her, I just wanted to know if there was a way that I could make HER more comfortable with new people.

Honestly, I came here because it felt like a space where I could get advice from people with knowledge and experience that I don't have yet but it feels just as judgmental as social media platforms. I will not be coming back. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts