Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 13 week female boxer who is comfortable with me walking but sometimes when i take her for her daily walk she wont walk any further and refuses to move either way. ive had to pick her up several times but now shes big and soon shell be getting too heavy but i still cant seem to figure why she stops. sometimes she will walk in the only direction home or sometimes she wont walk either way at all anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
She is young and it will come with time.   The perfect leash walk I did not get with Hanna until about 1 years old!!

Id becareful on the daily walks, she is young and you don't want to too much exercise when they are still growing, can cause some injury.   I would just practice around the yard and the house.   Use treats!

Also puppy training classes are a great way to learn proper walking on lead and other things!

Good LUck!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You may be walking her to much.  Also, are you walking her on concrete?  Our dogs never walked more than 5-10 minutes on concrete, and that was after being at least 1/2 yr old.

·
Registered
405 Posts
tehehee...Abby gets stubborn like that when she's sleepy...she sits and puffs out her chest and you could barely move her with a bulldozer.  Could it be exhaustion? What about changing your walk times?

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
At that age the recommended time for a walk is about 15 minutes and that doesn't mean walking briskly on a hard surface, it means letting the puppy start and stop the walk as she please and preferrably on a soft substance such as grass.  Aggressive exercise at that age can damage joints and so letting her just run around on a loose lead is better than going for a walk until she is much older.  Road work is not for puppies.  Good luck with her.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin did that once... it was too hot and he was younger... he just stopped and relaxed it the grass... wouldn't move... hubby had to carry him all the way back! We've learned since then... it was funny but I felt bad at the same time...

maybe the walk is too long?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Kate\";p=\"39205 said:
At that age the recommended time for a walk is about 15 minutes and that doesn't mean walking briskly on a hard surface, it means letting the puppy start and stop the walk as she please and preferrably on a soft substance such as grass.  Aggressive exercise at that age can damage joints and so letting her just run around on a loose lead is better than going for a walk until she is much older.  Road work is not for puppies.  Good luck with her.
Thats odd, I can't seem to get Cosmo from pooping and peeing on hard surfaces like the parking pad out back and the !alley behind my house.  He seems to love going outside on hard surfaces. Is this something I should be concerned about? He's 8 weeks old and doesn't seem to enjoy emptying on the grass... Though he has no trouble going on my carpet !!  8O  8O

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
This weekend I saw this woman running on pavement with her boxer, he was probably just a few weeks older than Oggie.  And they weren't running from the park or anything, she had on her jogging outfit and they were on a long stretch of residential sidewalk.  After reading everything here about overworking puppies, I can't stop worrying about that poor pup.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Cosmotion, you don't need to worry about Cosmo voluntarily going on to hard surfaces to wee or poo - it's prolonged bouts of exercise on concrete that needs to be avoided.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thanx for the help i have bin taking her for walks i didnt know i wasnt suppose to but shes always so active and wont go to sleep if i dont walk with her and she loves to go for a walk since we go to a park not to far from our home. if too much excercise is bad for her wut can i do to get her to sleep and calm down

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
It's totally okay to take her to the park and let her play as long as it is at her pace.  You don't want to force her to walk but letting her romp around on her own is a great way to have her burn energy and she will stop when she has had enough.  Maybe you could hop in the car and drive to the park and let her run around on a long line and play on her own so she can have the fun of the park without the walk.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
LOL @ the stop and turn to concrete haha uhmm Isis still does that and shes 6 !!! haha ...spoiled? yes !! ahaha..

IF LITTLE MISS SPOILED WHITEY PANTS DOESNT FEEL LIKE WALKING ON THE LEASH THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO MOVE HER UHMM 84 POUND BODY ! HAHAHAHA

BUT if i take the leash off..shes ghost..its her background though i think..b/c she will NOT EVER pee or poop ON leash ever..we can walk for an hour..and she wont go..as soon as we get home and she goes in the backyard she goes...WEIRDO 8O

i remember with my golden as a pup and my american bully both...they were just testing me like a kid..sit down and not want to go anywhere..they know if off leash they can run all around.they are smart...

can u find a baseball field or something to let her run? run around with her lol..the sillier you act the more they will play..wear her out...:)games in the house even?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts