Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old male Boxer puppy is very shy of strangers at home. We go to the dog park all the time and he plays with other dogs non-stop and visits owners with no problem. We also have a powder puff Chihuahua/Chinese Crested cross who is not scared of anything (also 8 months). Pyx (my boxer) minds very well- couldn't ask for anything better. I was really concerned when my sisters boyfriend came over- who Pyx knows- and he acted scared. He has never hurt Pyx- he spoils him with pets. It was really weird. Is this just him being a puppy and not having come into his own yet? I've never coddled him. He's fine out of the house- except at our cabin, where he acts the same but only if he's inside- which he's only been to once. He's not aggressive at all. At my parents house he seems fine with strangers. Any thoughts? I hate seeing him scared! He is white- but absolutely no hearing/vision problems. At a loss!  :(

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hmm...Brady is similar, he is always a little scared of company that he does not see at least a couple times a week..one particular guy, who rough houses a bit with Abby, he just hides behind my legs and shakes...never sure what is bringing it on, but I also don't konw what his past is.  I do not want him to be frightened though, so I encourage him to curl up on the couch in the other room with a bone or something...that tends to relax him (never ends up chewing on the bone, but I guess just knowing he doesn't have to be in the same room as the guests is comforting to him).  Maybe just try redirecting his attention like that.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I got Kiah at 8.5 months and she was really shy with some men and my older sister for awhile.  I think it must have been a stage she was going through because I haven't noticed her being that way any more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts