Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed the past week or so Lola is acting very shy.  My cousin was at my house the other day and she woudn't go near him, her butt was wiggling and everything but she kept hiding under my mother's legs whenever he went to pat her.  He sat on the ground and everything!  Then yesterday my bf and I were working on the yard and a few of the guys he works with drove by and stopped to say hi, they came inside and the same thing happened....she was all wiggling and excited but she wouldn't go near them.  They got down to her level and were talking sweet...and she wouldn't leave my legs.  I thought maybe because they were all in uniform (they're firefighters) but she sees my bf in that all the time.  Very confused because she's so friendly and usually runs up to everyone.  When I walk her on the beach I usually know everyone by the time I'm done because Lola's run up to them all!  And last night I was walking her around the neighborhood and 3 little girls and their dad came over to see her and she crouched down with her ears back as if she was afraid, but again the tail was wagging, then after a few minutes she was licking and jumping (which I stopped) and running around with the kids.  Any ideas?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Alicia, try some of the suggestions in that topic that Liz did about socializing a shy boxer..I have never had that issue with any of mine! I believe Kenya, Flutterby has had some great success with Toby in this area using some of these tips....

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=1841

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
It sounds like she's just going through a new stage.  As Willow said, try the some of the stuff in my training a shy boxer post, but in this case...give her a few days to deal with it.  Don't push her into it.  Go at her pace...

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
905 Posts
You mean to tell us you had a house full of firemen, in uniform, and you didn't take a single picture???  Yeesh!  :evil:

I heart firemen!  :love:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
[quote="Honeyec\";p=\"20658":38930ux2]You mean to tell us you had a house full of firemen, in uniform, and you didn't take a single picture???

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Lol Alicia, yea you got to have a talk with that girl! I mean, firemen...Good lord, how could she pass that up????

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The_Stevinator\";p=\"20745 said:
try taking her to off leash dog park where she can socialize.
Aren't dog parks yucky?  Is there one in Houston?  We're about an hour south of Houston.  Maybe we can let our pups play?!

·
Registered
236 Posts
We tried a dog park once to socialize Dixie and it was a disaster.  She wound up getting chased into a corner by some of the dogs and we had to break it up.  They weren't biting but they really frightened her.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've taken Lola to a dog park once, it was a really good experience, she played well with all the dogs and ran around and greeted every person.  Then she got spayed and we haven't been back since.  I took her to a big field last night to run around with my cousins dog and she did well.  Some people came up to pet her and she was her usual silly and friendly self, so maybe it's just in her home that she's shy?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts