Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was wondering if any other ppl on here have the same or similar thoughts as me and my wife.  I love my Buster very much and know vets can be expensive and thank God that at the present time he is a Healthy insane bundle of joy.  But other ppl have unexpected situations come up and don't always have teh $$$'s to seek the appropriate help for their pups.  

I was wondering if other ppl would be willing to make small donations to others that are in need.  no return payment expected, but "pay it forward" when your funds are at a better level to help some1 else,

We have 2200+ members and if a few ppl can donate a few $$$'s it could help many ppl

Just a thought that was rattling in my head
Brian

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Well to be honest, this is the internet and you really have to be wary of whomever is on the other side of the computer monitor. Sure, we'd love to help everyone out, but that just isn't possible. There are alternatives you can check out such as pet insurance. Here are a couple of links to pet insurance companies.  

http://www.sheltercare.com/us/index.asp?CUID=FL137

http://www.petinsurance.com/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not trying to twist any1's arm by any means.  But if some1 has a paypal account and has been here a while and has contributed to the forum community with knowledge, i think it may be a great way to help ppl and boxers in need. I am not asking any1 to pay for a ful vet bill but if say 20 ppl donate $5 each that is a $100 that could help some1 out alot

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I agree - I have heard some gut wrenching stories on this forum about sick and dying animals and how people can't afford but I am afraid to give because you just don't know if it is a scam or not. Some of these posters I have not seen back on the site after their pleas so it makes me believe they were just fishing for $$.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Are you talking about a member here setting up a paypal account, or just whoever needs the emergency funds?

G

·
0 Posts
the only way I can see that working is if we make rules and stipulations that it's only available to established members...but I don't know....it's a good idea in theory...but I don't know if it could work in reality

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think there are some amazing people on here and several that I'm pretty sure I could trust. If they needed help and I was able to give it... I might send money to their vet personally or get in contact with their vet and donate some money that way. Might be a bigger pain or some one might think it to be not very trusting but considering this day and age... and the internet being what it is... I think they would be thankful and not hurt by the gesture. They should be understanding and willing to give out the information if they need the help.

That's my look on it.

It would be horrible for us to have a "boxerforums paypal" account and us donate to some one that we find out later on or maybe NEVER find out at all that they ripped us off. I think the idea and gesture is wonderful... but unfortunately as I mentioned... and others too... the internet isn't exactly the best place.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Yes Marie....exactly. I believe when this was brought up before that this is the conclusion we came to, that if we cared to help we could donate directly to the veterinary hospital. Thank you for refreshing my memory!  :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I mean that ppl that are registered members on our forum and have a decent number of posts and contribute their knowledge and experiences here  with us.  Some one with like 5 posts would be suspicious to me and is most likely seeking money.  some1 that has been a registered member for  a while and has a history of posts would seem to be legitimate.  everyone that has replied here i would say is legitimate but ME, but i only found the site a few weeks ago.  everyone else has over 400 posts.

second question was the fund.   paypal is free to setup and maintain.  most ppl have one i would venture to guess.   so say god forbid aqua girl needed "assistance" for a problem and has a paypal acct.  members could send her whatever donation they would be comfy sending.  1 central acct i think is looking for trouble and i would not feel comfy having some1 i don't know monitor it and have access to it.  but if an individual needed help i would not have a problem sending them a transfer directly to assist them.

edit:

i never thought of sending payment to the vet directly, and that is a great idea as well so you know that funds are used for intended purposes

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That is an area that Boxer Forums will steer clear from...This was discussed a bit in the past, but where do you draw the line? who is telling the truth, etc? Too many vague areas and a potential for some major fights, disagreements you name it..I have been on forums, that you can actually be removed for even hinting to need funds, so let's just stay away from all that ok guys?

My suggestion, start a fund, which a lot of us do to hopefully provide any medical care that our babies need..I put away money each week, hoping I never have to use it, but it's there if needed...It's not that we are hard hearted, far from it, let's just say cautious and leery, having been almost burned before....

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think its a great idea but to do it yourself in your community.  I do fundaisers like "cookies for a cause", or my easter baskets.   I choose a cause each time and then I will pay out any proceeds to the cause that I am supporting.   I dont have a general fund per se, but my fundraisers have been extremely successful with help of the forum and its support.    Thats is the best way to do things like you are talking about.   Not just set up a general fund for a dog(s) in need.

If there was ever a long term member who need help, IMO I would probablly consult with a few people, and then come up with something to maybe generate some funds to decrease a cost of something.  But then comes into play, how come you picked them and not me?  So its really not fair because we all have different situations, and are all on different finacial plans.

I am thinking next year of stating the Hanna Banana Fund in junction with my local vet.   I will raise funds and the proceeds will help those who need help with vet care who could not afford it.  It will not be just given to anyone.   Because you have people who can say they cannot afford heat worm meds, but are driving around in a Mercedes.   Thats why the internet is soooo hard.   Keep it local, and personal, and it means a heck of a lot more!!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We all get into financial problems at times and as the others said it would be hard to pick and choose who we could help and who wouldn't get helped.  Am I more eligable because I have a lot of posts than someone who has 400 posts even though we are in the same situation. I think not and don't really think this is a good idea, IMO.

I support (when I can) the local rescues, and the rescue that I got Kiah from; I also donate items for the fund raisers for the rescues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts