Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,
I got my baby back this past Wednesday & hes has bronchitis. Last Wednesday he came down with kennel cough. The trainer took him to the vet and got him cough medication, and antibiotics. When i got him back and went home he started coughing horribly and he was coughing up green mucus and had a really snotty nose just after 5 hours of being home. I took him yesterday to the same vet the trainer did since they had already seen him the previous week. He had to have an x ray because the vet heard something in his lungs, but luckily it was not pneumonia. He has bronchitis and has new antibiotics, anti diarrhea medication, cough medication, and anti inflammatory. The antibiotics are causing his irritable bowel disease to flare up. Hes on steroids so he is immune suppressed and therefore more likely to get sick. The trainer paid for his first vet bill, but i paid for his visit yesterday.
My question is should i expect the trainer to reimburse me for the visit yesterday? I didn't even have him 24 hours before he was at the vet so its nothing he contracted while being with me. I still owe the other 50% of the cost of training which he didn't ask for when i picked him up, so im wondering if they forgot i owe it? When or if asks for the payment should i pull out the bill and explain that i need the cost of the vet visit deducted from what i owe? Or is it a better idea to talk to him about it now? I feel he is going to make the case that he has a bad immune system so its not his fault my dog got sick. I could be wrong, but when i told him he was sick and had bronchitis he said "Poor guy i hope he can get off the steroids soon, he has a bad immune system". That leads me to believe that he isn't taking any responsibility. Any advice would be helpful. I don't want to be the annoying client who is asking something that i shouldn't, but if i am in the right here i don't want to be screwed over. I feel like if he was going to pay for the bill he would of said so when i told him i was taking him back to the vet.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm severely lost with all this. Bare with me if I don't piece this together. lol

Your dog went to a trainers, got sick at the trainers the trainer took your dog to the vet without your knowledge, or did you know ( I think that's where I'm lost the most)? And your thinking he should cover that bill...and you haven't paid half of the training class and they have yet to say anything.

When it comes to money and bills though being it was a service you contracted out for I'd be getting down to the bottom of who owes what and how much. I never like to leave people hanging for something I owe or not, if the guy does any basic bookkeeping for a small business those who havent paid will show up at the end, i wouldn't want people hounding me for money thats all. :) for the vet bill i assume you'd pay for that he is your dog, I just don't understand if this person took your dog without your knowledge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He went to the trainers November 18th for a board & train program. Last Wednesday, December 14th, he texted me to tell me my dog started coughing and he was taking him to the vet. The vet prescribed him some medications and the trainer paid for the bill. As far as i knew he was doing fine and getting better. When i picked him up this Wednesday, 12/21, and brought him home he started coughing and was super tired and nothing like the dog i dropped off to him. So i took him to the same vet the trainer had took him too the previous week and come to find out the antibiotics weren't working and he now has bronchitis. So i had to pay for an x ray, and 4 medications which was $220. I paid for 50% of the training cost when i dropped him off and i was under the impression i was paying the other 50% when i picked him up, but they didnt ask me for the money. I have 2 follow up training sessions so maybe at the last follow up session they will be asking me for the other 50%? I also forgot to mention my dog went in there weighing 48.5 pounds and now weighs 42.5 pounds, and his spine and hip bones stick out. they dont seem to think thats a big problem and just wrote it off to getting more exercise. I believe they should have let me know asap when he started to look thin because anyone with decent vision could see that he looks emaciated. I guess what im asking is should i confront him about how we should handle the vet bill i had to pay for before he asks me for the other 50%. I sent them a dog is good body condition and health. Although he has IBD , it was under control when i dropped him off and they never let me know anything otherwise. He came home with horrible diarrhea which is a sign that his IBD is flaring up. The thing is he lost the 6 pounds before he got sick last week, i know because he weighed the same yesterday as he did the week before, if that makes sense?

·
Registered
38 Posts
This is a tough one. You have a right to be angry about this all but i cannot seem to find a way to solve this in the best way possible. Maybe just discuss the whole situation with him and see if he also feels guilty and if its the reason they did not ask for the 50% Just make sure you're clear with him instead of getting surprises later. I hope that your dog gets better really. Sending you love and good wishes.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Well, you may not like what I say..but..first pay the guy what you owe him, thats only fair. You contracted for an amount so you need to meet your obligation.
I think it is nice and it was appropriate that he informed you your dog was getting sick and took him to the vet at his expense. I think that was fair.
Since he got worse even though it was a short time at home, and you mentioned it to him already I would just chalk it up and pay the vet bill.
Everyone should be happy.
The fact that your dog does have a compromised immune system and you know that and sent him to a board & train in my opinion makes you responsible.
Anyway that is just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
13,468 Posts
Well, here's my two cents.

You should pay the vet bill and reimburse the trainer for the vet bill he paid as well. This started with kennel cough and progressed to bronchitis. Blaming the trainer for that is liking blaming someone for catching the common cold. The trainer could just have easily called to tell you that you need to pick your dog up and take him to the vet, but he actually went the extra step and took him. Kennel cough is the equivalent of the common cold. And being that your dog has a compromised immune system puts him at greater risk of catching that especially in a facility with / around other dogs.

As far as the diarrhea? You can't blame the trainer for that. It could have been the medicine which caused the IBD flare up, or even just stress from being away from home.

And the weight loss? Could have been the extra exercise. Could have been maybe your dog was refusing to eat some of his food. Some dogs refuse to eat when stressed or separated from their people, or in another environment. Did you supply the trainer with food for him? If you did not supply his food, what were they feeding him? The only thing I recommend here is to ask the trainer if he noticed your dog losing weight and if so why he didn't call and mention it to you. The trainer may not have noticed, IDK how many dogs they have and train at any one time, but they're not going to notice such specifics like you as an owner would. If he did notice and had told you it would have given you the opportunity to have them increase his food at each meal. Ask the trainer if he was refusing to eat all his food.

I also think you need to pay for the remainder of the training, unless of course the trainer didn't bother to train him as he said he would.

Hope your dog feels better soon !!

:)

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
When you take your dog any where such as training or boarding, all medical expenses are the owners. There is always a risk of your dog contracting KC in these facilities which is why most of the require proof of the KC vaccine.

Pay your trainer, pay both vet bills as they are yours.

He's very skinny but stress can do that to a dog. I'm not a fan of sending your animals off for training...have you done any one on one classes with this trainer after the fact to go over commands etc?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Hmm actually this would be a great post for "BTE" to comment on as they are "Pro's." And do the "Board and Train" thing.

Honestly .. it sounds like it's more of a people situation here?? It's fairly unique situation, near as I can tell ... the "Trainer" did nothing wrong?? I think by and large the general "assumption" for a "Dog in a Board" situation is that the dog is in sound health??

It doesn't sound like the "Trainer" did anything wrong?? Board and Train is going to be "stressful" for a dog under the best of circumstances and most dogs without underlying health issues can handle that added stress just fine. But a dog with underlying health issues ... "maybe" not so much???

Honestly it sounds like its just one of those things, no one did anything wrong "per say" and the best course of action going forward is for all parties involved in here to be reasonable???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts