Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if my puppy might be sick and if there are things at home that we can do to help her feel better. Our Eliza girl is eight months old next week. For the past week she has been shedding ALOT!! but not scratching or anything, just including the info. This morning she ate her breakfast and promptly threw it up. I didn't see it happen (she eats outside) and took her out for a quick walk (it is super super cold right now) and she didn't have a bowell movement like she normally does. When I came home and saw her thrown up food outside I thought maybe it was off (it was a squirrel carcass, she has eaten them before and loved them) so I gave her a chicken thigh in stead. The thrown up sqirrel was frozen to the ground by that point. She came inside and threw up the chicken, and then didn't try to eat it again. She has had some fiesty moments the past few days, but overall today she has been pretty wiped and is sleeping alot. She was gulping water earlier so we took the water bowl away.

Been reading online about sick puppies or dogs with upset tummies. Lots of stuff about giving boiled chicken and rice, which i will make for her tonight. since she is still young should i fast her for a full day before trying the food? or try some tonight? also since she is normally raw fed should i still boil the chicken? or give it raw with some cooked rice? Just want her to feel better and get back to normal! thanks for any advice!!

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Being that she has thrown up several times, can’t keep down water and isn’t having a bowel movement.... I would go to your vet to make sure she doesn’t have a blockage.

·
Registered
634 Posts
A blockage is what I thought of as well. We had a puppy with one once and luckily at the vet he was able to get it up a few minutes before surgery.

If this isn't the issue the vet should be able to diagnose what's going on and get your baby back to normal quickly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice! A close friend of mine is a vet and she stopped by yesterday to check her out for me. Felt her tummy and no blockage, I had been giving her small amounts of rice and turkey and she is doing great. Just one bad day and since then she seems to be on the mend! Its funny how i get more worked up over the puppy than over my own kids! Gave her a bit of rice and raw chicken today and she is doing fine. Will gradually work her back up to her normal diet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts