Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this but needed to find some information on some health problems with our beautiful boxer. He has gallstones and arthritis, but today he was also diagnosed with a possible pinched nerve in his neck. Has anyone ever dealt with this before that could tell me anything about it? He is taking Rimadyl (which he had been off and on for the arthritis) and glucosamine, but is now also on a synthetic opiate or "doggy morphine" as the vet called it. Are there any really, really good brands of glucosamine I should buy that might help better. This is our baby and we love him dearly! Any info. or response is helpful. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.  I can't help but there will be others who may have some information for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sid will be 3 in February. We rescued him from a shelter about a year and a half ago. He was in pretty bad shape then, but is just an amazing animal. I know, way young to be having these problems but we figured he must have had a rough beginning.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sorry you are having a hard time.  Here is a link to a topic on Gyco-Flex III, which I think is one of the better one's.
On the 2nd page there is a posting that contains a link on a great place to order from also......
http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... light=gyco

On the pinch nerve.  Generally a pinch will repair itself with a little time.  Is he holding his head to one side or just very stiff.  I am not sure what your vet uses but here I have used a product called Banamine and it works great for this....Just hang in there.....

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Wow, when I first started reading this, I assumed that Sidney must be a senior, but was totally surprised to hear that he's only 3...I am using the Glyco Flex 3 on Samson, he's been on it for almost 3 months now. It definitely has helped him move around, but unfortunately he still isn't able to get on the bed on his own or in the truck, but he's almost 11..I would recomend the Glyco Flex and Sharon has given you a good link where you can get it pretty reasonable(same place I get mine)....Please keep us posted and would love to see some pics of your Sidney..Oh, welcome to the forum  :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sid started with limping last February, right about the time he had a seizure that we finally discovered was being caused by gallstones. It was his left front leg/shoulder and they figured it was arthritis. Took Rimadyl for few days, started some glucosamine and he was fine until a few weeks ago - when the weather started to change here. Now, he was really limping on left side,  seemed to be putting a lot of weight on his right left which seems somewhat stiff and a little limpy now too. He also didn't want to bare weight on it last night and we lifted him in and out of bed. Usually a day or two on the Rimadyl at the first signs of limping helps him, but not this time. He has been on it since Saturday and that is why my husband and I took him to the vet this a.m. He is also a pretty big boxer. He weighed in at 87.7lbs this morning, but he is built and gets lots of exercise with my son, who is 11. He is such a beautiful creature - reverse brindle with two cute little white toes on each foot!! Sorry so long - just trying to give plenty of background because I am worried and none of us would know what to do without him in our lives. We didn't think we would have to do this until he was older, but that is okay. He is still a blessing!

By the way, THANKS SO MUCH to everyone who has responded so far. I really appreciate the kind words and the info.!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
SidneysMom";p="48848 said:
Usually a day or two on the Rimadyl at the first signs of limping helps him, but not this time. He has been on it since Saturday quote]

Keep in mind that sometimes the med's dont work as well the more they are on them.  There are several other options that are along the same lines of Rimadyl.  Also research on trying Previcox and Deramaxx if needed.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts