Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Luther may have a UTI.  He has not peed in the house in MONTHS.  All of a sudden he will walk and piddle, like he can not hold it.

Also, he is drinking and wanting more water than before.  

What do you think?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sounds like a UTI to me, and I unfortunately have had a lot of experience with these. I'd take him to the vet and have him checked out. Also, in the meantime try and make sure he drinks plenty of water it helps flush out the system. Feel better soon Luther!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Luther...Hoping he gets better real quick..Cranberry pills are also pretty good for that

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to hear about Luther...UTI's are a pain.

Layla seems to have come down with another this week too.  This makes probably about the 5th one in about as many months...and she'll be 8 months soon.  

My question is could frequent or persistent UTI's or bladder infections be a symptom of a bigger problem that the Vet is overlooking?  Or is this maybe just because she's still growing (although not very quickly anymore) or is it possible we are doing something wrong?

Aside from antibiotics and plenty of water...what are some home remedies.  Also any suggestions on some good preventative measures to keep them from popping up.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
LaylaDad......Using Cranberry pills or extract at home can be an added help.  Some dogs are just more prone to UTI then others.  Making sure water is available at all times and making sure they are drinking enough when there is not an issue is the key! Sometimes a switch in food is a good thing, sometimes your water (tap water) has to many chemicals and it helps to supplement with bottle water.

As far as there being other problems...yes there is a condition where the female has a pocket that the urine will sit in causing the infection.  This is generally just a factor with the way she is made....and a vulva that has extra folds of skin.....Sometimes they grow out of it and sometimes it is corrected with surgery (generally at the time they are spayed).....

Most of the time what I see is that the medicine is just not given long enough...You can not generally treat a UTI with just 15 days of Cephalexin which is very common what you get.  You got to get a little stronger meds and it can take a little while to get it all clear....My personal favorite for UTI is SMZ tablets....I have also used Baytril with good results in smaller dogs...Keeping the area (penis/vulva) clean after urination is a big help too....

The last thing is a female with excessive UTI's generally does better once spayed....

Now on others....(boys).....ditto all the above except for the possibility of a problem with the prostate.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I hope Luther is feeling better soon!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sharon...thanks for the reply and advice.  Sounds like we are doing most things right for prevention...less the cranberry which I'm going to pick up today.

As for there possibley being something more...I'll ask the Vet if she took a look around when she was in there for her spay.  She's been spayed for about two months now, so maybe things will start to get better with time.

As for the antibiotics...I think we were doing 20 days worth maybe, but can't remember because there have been so many different times and issues.  I've got a call into the vet for some more so I'll ask about longer and/or something stronger to really try to knock it out.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts