Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our Bronco is about 2, from what we can guess, and we've had him for about a year and some change, and prior to that he was in a foster home run by the shelter. According to the shelter he was found wandering the streets.

I've been noticing lately that sometimes he acts like he's afraid to go out side. One example is this morning he was acting like he wanted to go out, so i bring him to the back door grab the chain from outside, and as I'm doing this I reach above him to turn the patio lights off then he kind of balls up with his ears back and his tail between his legs, like he was thinking i was going to beat him or something. This has happened quite a few times where we are chaining him up. He'll run to the door to let you know he has to go potty, and have no issues most of the time, and he loves playing out side and running around.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Maybe something about the noise of the chain is an association with something he didn't like?

Have you tried rope and see what his reaction is?

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Well there are things you can do. But it's a rescue so you don't really have any idea of what his pass was?? Save for the obvious ie. "found on the street."

Beyond that, you really don't know anything about his past? And thast may be a problem because of "something" you are continuing to do??? "Staking the dog out" as it were. Why is that being done?? Do you not have a fenced in yard?? Is he tied out front or in the back??

At any rate tieing a dog out, can create, the conditions for "Fearfulness and Aggression."
No one that I am aware of, that rehabs "Fearful Dogs" would recommend doing that???

And consider that for all you know?? His past owner did just that?? And the dog got loose, and that is how you got him??? So as far as he knows if he gets tied out ...it's his job to see if he can get free and find some place better???

And it sounds like ... that is not a situation you want to reproduce or you would not be here. :)

We'er here to help in any case but I would like to better understand the tie out situation??? Welcome Aboard in any case. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
I’m pretty sure you would have seen these sign in the 1.5 yrs you have had him. If this is a new behaviour, he’s scared or injured himself on the chain. I’m assuming your yard isn’t fenced which is why you need to tether him? I’d switch out the chain to a paracord type rope instead. I’d also work with treats or praise to reward him to sit, Place the rope on him, walk outside with him and the rope, to come back in, sit again and remove the rope etc

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We only tie him up if he has to go potty.
There's been a couple of times where he's come running up the back stairs like something spooked him, especially at night.
I'll try the thing with the treats maybe that'll make him a little less nervous.
I don't know about using cord, we used the smaller braided steel dog cables and that got tied into knots and eventually broke.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Well you can try the treats ... but I seriously doubt, that is gonna make difference??? You can try of course but you can't really bribe a dog into "behaving well??" And sure a year and a half of "ownership" sounds long enough???

But an "exchange of "possession" does not create a "Bond to owner???" Your dog does not trust, that when you clip him up outside ... that you will come back for him??? He was abandoned in the pass?? And for all you know ... what you are doing is ...exactly how he wound up on the streets??? When you clip him, outside in the dark?? I don't care how long you have had "possession" of him??? He does not "Trust" that you will come back??? Most likely he was on a rope in the pass, got tied out and chewed through it and that is how you got him??? I don't know but that is what I surmise??

at any rate ... it does not matter what his pass was?? You have do things differently to make this work! And yep not having a fenced in yard ...is gonna put more "pressure" on you but it is what it is. You have to teach him to "cope" and that is done by "showing him that he can trust, you return to him!"

It takes a lot of words to actually "explain" how this done??? But aside from "time," it's pretty simple.:

Walk your dog! :

Train Place and do Sit on the dog! And aside from those ... no treats and keep your mouth shut! This is what we are doing dog, deal with it!

And most likely going back to a year and a half ago ... the first link here ...is what you did not do when you first got him??

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

But hey don't sweat it ... no one does?? I did not do these things with my first GSD and after seven months of no issues .... that I saw??? Not getting these things done first, came back to bite "me" in the butt hard!! But it worked out great in the long run! So ask questions and happy reading. :)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
If this were my dog I would just go out with him on a leash when it was potty time, have him do his business and bring him back in. I think it would have created a better bond between you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts